Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Mexican Fracking Foes Lose a Big Round
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 7-22-2014 at 09:57 AM
Mexican Fracking Foes Lose a Big Round

From FNS news service.

"Mexican opponents of the controversial method of extracting natural gas known as fracking lost an important battle in the Mexican Senate late last week. As part of a 91-26 vote that approved secondary legislation implementing the Pena Nieto administration’s energy reform, most senators rejected a measure that would have prohibited fracking.

Prior to the July 18 vote, the Mexican Alliance against Fracking, a grouping of environmental organizations, presented senators with a petition signed by more than 10,000 people that supported a fracking ban.
Nonetheless, a majority of senators from President Pena Nieto’s PRI party joined with lawmakers from the PAN and PVEM (Mexican Green) parties to reject an outright prohibition of fracking. Voting in favor of a ban were members of the PRD and PT parties.

Senator Pablo Escudero, PVEM representative, maintained that environmental studies in the United States, as well as the history of fracking in Texas, Louisiana, New Mexico and other states, showed that fracking could be done in a safe manner. To back up his case, Escudero referred to studies by University of California physicist Dr. Richard Muller, whose pro-environment arguments in favor of fracking have engendered sharp polemics.

Taking a stand against outlawing fracking in Mexico, PAN Senator Silvia Garza of Coahuila, who represents a state where large deposits of shale gas are said to be located, declared that economic development could not be stopped.

“I am against overregulation,” Garza said. “I am against the brake they want to put on this country.”

Chihuahua Senator Javier Corral, also a member of the PAN, begged to differ from the majority of his colleagues.

“One cannot affect the viability of the planet in the name of economic development,” Corral said. “(Fracking) will have devastating consequences in the state of Chihuahua, from the intensive use of water and its contamination, and from methane emissions that produce 21 times more greenhouse gases than does carbon dioxide.”

Corral continued, “Over there (Chihuahua), where rain is not plentiful, how will they bring the (water) necessary for drilling a well?”

Fracking proponents earlier got a boost from a prominent figure known for his environmental advocacy-Nobel Chemistry Prize winner Mario Molina.

In a recent comments to the Mexican press, Molina gave a qualified endorsement to fracking, saying it was a viable proposition as long as it was “done right.” Like Senator Escudero, Molina pointed to the United States (where opposition to fracking is growing), adding that enhanced gas exploitation had brought economic benefits.

“Let’s do it as it is done in the U.S.,” Molina said. “It varies a lot from state to state, but some are doing it very well. If it is not done right, it won’t last long. It’s being stopped in many countries.”

Passed in the Senate, the energy reform legislation, minus the anti-fracking measure, was sent to the lower house of the Mexican Congress for approval. Meanwhile, the Mexican Alliance against Fracking vowed to keep fighting against the extraction of shale gas. According a message posted on the activist group’s Facebook page, an additional 13,000 people signed the anti-fracking petition after it was delivered to senators last week."

For a recent, in-depth FNS report on fracking in Mexico, readers can check out:
http://fnsnews.nmsu.edu/fracking-fights-loom-large-in-mexico...

Additional sources: El Mexicano/El Sol de Mexico, July 19, 2014. Article by Bertha Becerrra. La Jornada, July 17 and July 19, 2014. Articles by Emir Olivares, Andrea Becerril and Enrique Mendez. Milenio.com, July 18, 2014. Article by Angelica Mercado and Omar Brito. Proceso/Apro, July 17, 2014. Article by Jenaro Villamil. El Universal, May 19 and July, 2014. Articles by Adriana Vallinas, Alberto Morales and Juan Arvizu.

Frontera NorteSur: on-line, U.S.-Mexico border news
Center for Latin American and Border Studies
New Mexico State University
Las Cruces, New Mexico

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 7-22-2014 at 10:33 AM

Wonder if anyone mentioned the enormous amount of water fracking requires, and the contamination of groundwater it leaves after the shale gas is extracted, and the fact in the US it is exempted from Clean Water Act oversight/regulations.

Que locura...

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 7-22-2014 at 10:33 AM

That's a Fracking shame :spingrin:

Bob Durrell
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2014 at 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
That's a Fracking shame :spingrin:

...indeed.....there's something about fracking in Mexico that REALLY has me worried.....perhaps it's something about it being particularly earthquake prone ,,,the particularly corrupt pollitical system,,,and the exceptionally voiceless state of the population.........fracking WILL bring some HORRENDOUS consequences in the name of ''you can't stop progre$$''.

...whoever cannot $ee that fracking i$ pretty much a la$t ca$h-grab in killing a planet mu$t be willfully blind!!!

.......''a majority of senators from President Pena Nieto’s PRI party joined with lawmakers from the PAN and PVEM (Mexican Green) parties to reject an outright prohibition of fracking. ''....what kind of -green- party is that,,,GREENBACK$$$???

...kudos to the standouts...or were they on holidays when the ga$ cartel$ were visiting?--clearly ALL WERE INFORMED about the water issues,,etc

[Edited on 7-22-2014 by micah202]
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2014 at 12:15 PM

There has been reports out of, Oklahoma, I believe, as to
the increase of quakes, POSSIBLY due to fracking. Up in the order
of 100's of quakes, compared historically to little activity. Coincidence? Probably not
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-22-2014 at 12:34 PM

Earthquakes are the last of peoples' worries. Entire communities are now without potable water even for agriculture due to the gas/infusions of natural aquifers from fracking. When you can walk into someone's house that's been there (and their families) for generations, light a bic lighter and set their sink on fire from the 'ane' build-up in their water pipes, their way of life is essentially over... and ours. The water they grow their agriculture with, water they use for their cattle, ALL water is now tainted with not only gasses but leached chemicals pumped in to unseat and unsettle all that locked gas.

I won't eat sweet corn from western Colorado ever again. Used to be Olatha corn was best in the West, and for the last 5 years tastes horrible. I quit buying entirely a few years back, and now ask where my veg's come from when I buy.

Big money rules, oil men rule, the mighty $Buck$ rules. A good Baja friend did a stint in local Canadian politics for a couple of years trying to battle the impending frack-vasion. There was no common-sense reasoning with the profiteers, only power-plays and pundit-ploys of who had the most dollars to buy their decisions. IF Mexico's mainland thinks it has bad water now, wait a few years. You will be able to cook and shower at the same time, and you can bet there'll be a whole lot less restrictions and controls over the ops than farther north.

Ahhh, to just get out in that little boat with a few Pacificos and just fish for a few hours.......;)

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-22-2014 at 09:32 PM

Drinking water tables are shallow and natural energy sources (fossil fuels) are VERY deep, otherwise water wells would all be spewing gas and oil.

Fracking is human technology that solves our energy needs in this period of converting from fossil fuel to some yet undiscovered or unrealized energy supply that can power all the things that fossil fuels power.

We can stop importing oil from countries that are less than friendly to all free people and have an economic boom (and not just in North Dakota and other fracking regions) by accepting high tech energy extraction methods.

Instead of listening to drama and name calling, put your country back on the top by supporting American (and Mexican) modern energy sources. :light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2014 at 09:42 PM

...Dave,,I'm pretty sure you'll be regretting that opinion sometime in the not too distant future....of course that's 'just my opinion'

[Edited on 7-23-2014 by micah202]
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 7-22-2014 at 09:58 PM

David, your sense of scientific awareness is only far exceeded by your good looks.

86 - 45*

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
David, your sense of scientific awareness is only far exceeded by your good looks.

:lol::lol::lol:....

Don't believe everything you think....
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 09:11 AM

There is a lot of fracking here in the Central Valley and the enviromentalist want it stopped by claiming it affects ground water. With the draught conditions in CA many believe it will. But there is no scienctific evidence showing that it does, at least not yet. DOGGER and other state agencies are monitoring it.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
There is a lot of fracking here in the Central Valley and the enviromentalist want it stopped by claiming it affects ground water. With the draught conditions in CA many believe it will. But there is no scienctific evidence showing that it does, at least not yet. DOGGER and other state agencies are monitoring it.

...OMG...-really-!??
....so it's 'circumstance' that many places now can light their tapwater on fire,,and couldn't before fracking started in their area!?
...sounds like indu$try bafflegab....yah,,,and there's no'conclusive scientific evidence' that smoking effects your health,,either ;D :wow:

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 09:33 AM

If you read my post it concerned the Central Valley. If you know of someone in the valley that lights their water with a match due to fracking give me a name or a city and I'll check it out. Just saying it happens don't cut it with me. If you have a reference to go to then post it.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 12:12 PM

...okay,,a quick google shows these issues in Colorado ,Ohio,,Kansas,Wyoming,western Canada....ahh is Yuba County part of your central valley?....of course ,there's some possibility that it's a 'natural' occurrence-don't know the details,,,,,keep your head in the sand for nowif yer want

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2014/06/17/state-health-depar...
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 03:19 PM

["The filtration system that takes the methane out of the water at the mobile home park broke in April. Since then, neighbors have been too scared to turn on the shower."]

There is no mention of any relationship with fracking. This is exactly what happens when anti fracking people hear something like this they automatically pin it on fracking instead of waiting for test results. I may be wrong but I don't think fracking causes methane gas to get into the drinking water, it would be the chemicals in the water used for fracking. But as DK mentioned fracking takes place thousands of feet below the water table.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 03:22 PM

....might as well 'agree to disagree'...believe it or not ,,I don't come here to pick arguments.

.....time will tell.......if it hasn't already.
...I look forward to the day we all err on the side of caution ,,,rather than commerce

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 03:26 PM

Oh well, by the way Yuba County is not in the Central Valley, it's north of Sacramento.
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 03:52 PM

Two different statements claiming 'water tables and gas tables are thousands of feet apart' are flat wrong, misleading, and faux-babble. Each location is entirely different; in southwestern Wyoming I had a geologist tell me the oil-tables are only a few hundred feet deep, and in Mexican Hat, Utah they still pump oil from as shallow as 50 feet. Thirty miles east of there, it's four thousand feet down; so don't lump all into one category. Fracking is designed to shatter a LOT of rock to release gas, and the current theories (yes, just theories) of earthquakes show they pressurize and FRACTURE large areas of rock, not just a little bit, and the gas filters through once IM-permeable layers that are now PERMEABLE from fracking. Ain't just one well, either; the gas companies lease out several square miles of land and farms and acreage and do hundreds of wells at a time so the rock displacement is immense.

The sink-lighting trick, as well as stock-tank stink, bad coloration and total unusable once-culinary well water has been documented from Pennsylvania to Wyoming and Colorado, and several mid-western States. It's not a 'theory' like global climate change, it's a money-driven fact.

Don't lump 'those anti-frackers' all together like 'lib-tards'. Ostriches are pretty useless birds themselves.

86 - 45*

bledito
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 05:26 PM

I've read somewhere that half or better of the return routes for the oil/gas fail within the first year of service. The wall is created during the drilling with a liquid mix that solidifies but is only about a inch thick a concrete type return pipe.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 7-29-2014 at 08:48 AM

http://local.msn.com/quake-shakes-mexicos-gulf-coast-1

Boy, it didn't take Mexico long to get on the "fracking bandwagon". :lol::lol:

[Edited on 7-29-2014 by dtbushpilot]

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.