BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6
Author: Subject: Solo Rower ELSA HAMMOND in the Calif-Hawaii Race now heading for San Diego
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2014 at 01:35 PM

A bit astray, but ran into a guy in Dana Point, Ca. harbor this
morn, holding court at the kayak beach, and rightfully so, he is stand paddling from the Canadian border, Wash. State, to the Mex border at TJ
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-24-2014 at 06:25 PM

I just spoke to Steve who just got off the sat-phone with Elsa who was holed up in her bunk with the sea anchor out in big seas so she is unable to row, which explains the loss of miles. She has Isla Guadalupe in sight and is seriously considering turning back and landing there.

So we are helping set plans in motion to have a boat assist her into shore, haul her boat out somewhere safe or anchor it out until a way can be figured out how to get it back to either the peninsula or the states.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-24-2014 at 11:41 PM

Shari, send love from Nomads and best wishes. You truly hold the Spirit of Baja (Espiritu Baja) in your heart. Bless you.
bb

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 07:51 AM

Will do....hey that's a good name for a bar...er boat! Espiritu Baja.

speaking of the Nomad spirit...there must be someone who could take a couple hours out of their busy days to meet Steve at the San Diego airport on July 29th...his flight from the UK will arrive around 6:25. He would probably like a good nights sleep before getting on a night bus for TJ or maybe he wants just to blitz it and come straight over the border to grab the night bus to Vizcaino....any takers?

I will give a free room to anyone giving him a lift here too!

skipowell
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 02:30 PM

Hola Shari

just saw this thread today. I will be in San Diego Tuesday and can pick him up from airport and put him up for a night. We are heading to. Mammoth on Wednesday but can get him to boarder before we leave. let me know if you would like our help
Jeff and Lori Powell
Ps Shari we stayed at one of your rentals a couple xmas ago!
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 02:34 PM

Thanks so much skipowell...I just talked to Steve and one of the rowers in the race is going to pick up Steve and put him up for the night so we are now covered...still looking for a ride down for him.

Elsa is 40 miles south of Guadalupe and now has to head north again to get there...looks like she had some weather from that front that moved north yesterday so that might help push her north or not.

She wants to row in on her own steam and just get some assistance hauling out and then will look for a way off the island. They are still planning on coming here to recuperate.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 05:53 PM

ugly storm yesterday surely did not help her at all. 40 miles is a long haul. we wish her all the luck and they have made a good choice to head to Asuncion.

skipowell that was so great of you to offer! That's the Baja Spirit Espiritu Baja

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 08:28 AM

It has been difficult to arrange assistance for Elsa on Isla Guadalupe. A flight there from Ensenada to pick her up is $2,000 US dollars!!!! not to mention the challenge of finding a ride for her boat.

Just a thought, but if any of you pilot types have any ideas or want to post this on Baja Bush Pilots...perhaps someone may be willing to pick her up for less...just a thought. We are racking our brains trying to come up with options.

Today's mission is to find out if there is a tuna boat in her vicinity who may be willing to pick up the boat and her and bring her to wherever they are going or drop her off somewhere a bit more accessible than Guadalupe Island.

Any fresh ideas or contacts are welcome!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
It has been difficult to arrange assistance for Elsa on Isla Guadalupe. A flight there from Ensenada to pick her up is $2,000 US dollars!!!! not to mention the challenge of finding a ride for her boat.

Just a thought, but if any of you pilot types have any ideas or want to post this on Baja Bush Pilots...perhaps someone may be willing to pick her up for less...just a thought. We are racking our brains trying to come up with options.

Today's mission is to find out if there is a tuna boat in her vicinity who may be willing to pick up the boat and her and bring her to wherever they are going or drop her off somewhere a bit more accessible than Guadalupe Island.

Any fresh ideas or contacts are welcome!

how do the island residents get to/from the island? when in rome, do as the romans do.
for air charter, ASG should be able to fly their 402 from GN.
island locals must have a supply boat a couple times per year, should be able to ship boat on that, eh?

on the cheap could probably hitch a ride with cruising sailboat or san diego sport fisher if you got time to wait,... the long range sport boats from san diego must pass by occasionally, call them.
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 02:39 PM

2163.5 to Hawaii or a cold refreshing drink in Baja California waters............
Hope shes taking pics and stayin out of the bitey deep end..
Is she on shore Shari............. don't try to say that three times fast:lol:
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 04:34 PM

I have spend a few hours checking prices and the 402 from GN was $10,000 US dollars..not pesos...whew...the cheapest flight I found was a guy who flies seafood from Ensenada to Guadalupe...problem is there arent any flights now as abalone is over and lobster hasnt started...it would be $2,000 US dollars.

There is a Navy supply ship that goes there every 2 weeks and the shark diving boats start their trips on Aug.4th. They are usually full bit she may be able to sleep on deck.

today's news is that Elsa cannot make any northwest headway at all...she has been slipping backward for 3 days and is becoming apparent that she may not be able to make it to land under her own steam...so her support team will shift gears to have her picked up and hopefully either load or tow the boat somewhere depending on what vessel rescues her. We are hoping the race organizers will step up to the plate with their boats and plan B is to contact tuna boats or long range...it's not as easy as it sounds.

She is about a hundred miles from Cedros Island which is the next closest landfall. In the meantime I hope she enjoys the sunsets!

It would be nice to get her off the water before this new storm comes to town.

I'm waiting on a call from the race director to determine our next move.

805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 06:05 PM

The US Coast Guard has the right to stop unsafe voyages, they should have stopped her
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 08:45 PM

Quote:
We are hoping the race organizers will step up to the plate with their boats and plan B is to contact tuna boats or long range...it's not as easy as it sounds.

I'm waiting on a call from the race director to determine our next move.

...I'm thinking 'plan B'....was following some details about the race on a sailboat forum--it seemed that the organizers were rather disorganized at best for the support they had available--probably -long- gone with the main fleet.

....I'll try putting a call-out at the sailing forum just in case there's some traffic from SanD.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
The US Coast Guard has the right to stop unsafe voyages, they should have stopped her

...yeh well whatever....the coasties would have stopped a well prepared set of rowers in incredibly seaworthy boats?......me no think so,,there was nothing 'manifestly unsafe' about the rowers.
..sounds like she's safe,,,well prepared--but tired and ready to get on terrafirma.

[Edited on 7-27-2014 by micah202]
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2014 at 07:04 AM

I think Elsa underestimated the power of the Pacific currents, wind and waves for a solo rower. I noticed the other boats had more than one oarspeople which would make a huge difference.

thanks Micah, that would be great but a sailboat would have a tough time towing the 24' boat a long distance I imagine.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2014 at 07:12 AM

I bet she is again disappointed she can't do it on her own. Wishing her the best of luck as this unfolds.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2014 at 08:21 AM

Quote:
I think Elsa underestimated the power of the Pacific currents, wind and waves for a solo rower. I noticed the other boats had more than one oarspeople which would make a huge difference.

thanks Micah, that would be great but a sailboat would have a tough time towing the 24' boat a long distance I imagine.

..actually,,,it seems like there were others.....it sounds like there was 2 women,,2 men solo rowers,,,but something gave her a late start,,,and headwinds all the way it sounds like --reminds me of the times I tried a bike-tour of scotland--headwinds every direction I rode! ....it's unbeleivable she is now even getting headwinds on her exit!
.........'' Out of the four solo rowers in the race (two men and two women) she was the last remaining by over a month. Her three broken oars (unheard of before) indicate how tough the weather was for her, and the statistics showing that she has rowed the furthest ‘miles per rower’ of any of the classic-class boats – even compared with the four-man crews – are testament to her efforts.''

...We'll see what happens with the sailing site,,,there's some pretty large sailboats,,,and connections beyond....I'm hoping for someone who knows someone who knows a boat passing that way from Cabo,,or back from the recent Transpac race.....who knows...........like nomads,sailors like to be helpful when they can-for the most-part anyways. :smug:

RSailor

[*] posted on 7-27-2014 at 09:05 AM
Elsa's navigation

Quote:
I think Elsa underestimated the power of the Pacific currents, wind and waves for a solo rower. I noticed the other boats had more than one oars people which would make a huge difference.

Important to know actually. It's not clear if the problem is being underpowered, or just not navigating correctly, or both. Elsa seems to be have her own theories of navigation. Her boat has rarely been pointed in the right direction. She seems to be unwilling to turn broadside to the waves and row, essential for this trip, and done adequately by all the other rowers who stayed in this race.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2014 at 09:18 AM

...^^...methinks she had one of those ''bad days that doesn't stop ''.............a late departure for bad luck--3 broken oars--!!,,,,putting her into different weather patterns,,,,,then an unusually active season of tropical storms as many know.......wouldnt-yer-know-it,,there was a gal in a rowboat!!

....let's save the post-analysis until she's onshore at least--REALLY!!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-27-2014 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RSailor
Quote:
I think Elsa underestimated the power of the Pacific currents, wind and waves for a solo rower. I noticed the other boats had more than one oars people which would make a huge difference.

Important to know actually. It's not clear if the problem is being underpowered, or just not navigating correctly, or both. Elsa seems to be have her own theories of navigation. Her boat has rarely been pointed in the right direction. She seems to be unwilling to turn broadside to the waves and row, essential for this trip, and done adequately by all the other rowers who stayed in this race.

Her gps track does look odd compared to the other rowers.
Personally, I prefer sailing to rowing. If I was rowing, I would carry a sail rig or kite to deploy after I got tired,...
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.