BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6
Author: Subject: Solo Rower ELSA HAMMOND in the Calif-Hawaii Race now heading for San Diego
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 09:45 AM

Steve is in San Diego anxiously awaiting for news from his beloved Elsa. He will post here when he hears....stay tuned!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 09:59 AM

Her last picture is a classic! How funny is that!

Love the idea of a potluck....I have a wonderful recipe for a key lime pie that I will take. Great idea, Shari.

come on Elsa! Rooting for you!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 10:35 AM

staying tuned!!!

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 10:43 AM

....''operators are standing by!''..I hope all goes well!!
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 04:26 PM

....steve 'bollock' must have begun his first Mexican adventure by now....I hope that's doing allright ;)

...looking forward to hearing some (good) news.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 04:37 PM

from the online vessel tracks (elsa and cloud 9) it appears both boats are now heading north,... i am guessing headed for ensenada or san diego????
RSailor

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
from the online vessel tracks (elsa and cloud 9) it appears both boats are now heading north,... i am guessing headed for ensenada or san diego????

San Diego unless they have to change plans. Bahia Asuncion will have to wait for the next unfortunate castaway to party, :biggrin:
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 07:12 PM

...san Diego?.....here's hoping!.....sure would make things simpler
bullox

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 08:55 PM

Hey folks, please see latest update from Elsa:
http://www.elsahammond.com/2014/07/another-twist-tale-dont-e...

Aiming for San Diego, which will make customs issues simpler. We'll see how she's feeling once she's had some time back on land, but I'm hoping she'll be up for a trip down to Bahia Asuncion to take you up on that potluck offer! Would be awesome to be able to say thanks for the support in person.

Thanks again - disappointed we won't be able to see her row in to Mexico but I'm definitely glad to have her back!!!
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 10:01 PM

.....yeah!...double-great news.....sooo much ha$$les reduced to go straight to the states!
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 07:51 AM

Most excellent news this morning that Elsa & Darien are safely chugging towards San Diego which was the best option by far...many thanks to the race organizers and Cloud Nine crew!

I look forward to chatting with her on Skype when she settles in and reading her blog which is fantastic. I loved the comments sent to her by other female solo rowers of note. You are a champ Elsa!

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 09:02 AM

Thank goodness all is going well on plan B. Whew!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
RSailor

[*] posted on 8-3-2014 at 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by RSailor
Quote:
Originally posted by shari
I think Elsa underestimated the power of the Pacific currents, wind and waves for a solo rower. I noticed the other boats had more than one oars people which would make a huge difference.

Important to know actually. It's not clear if the problem is being underpowered, or just not navigating correctly, or both. Elsa seems to be have her own theories of navigation. Her boat has rarely been pointed in the right direction. She seems to be unwilling to turn broadside to the waves and row, essential for this trip, and done adequately by all the other rowers who stayed in this race.

Her gps track does look odd compared to the other rowers.
Personally, I prefer sailing to rowing. If I was rowing, I would carry a sail rig or kite to deploy after I got tired,...

Ocean rowing is for people who don't know how to sail. Ocean "row" boats are actually blown across oceans not rowed. You create "adventure" by eliminating the hydrodynamic controls and power (keels, rudders, and sails). Navigation consists of rowing back and forth in the current and wind to find the best available course, rather like navigating a hot air balloon. But, when you cap that off by putting a skipper on board who doesn't understand the currents and winds . . . you have a disaster in progress. The British ocean rowing association is grossly promotional as were the promoters of this race.
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2014 at 08:15 AM

Yay...Elsa and Steve have been reunited and are relaxing on tierra firma. I remember after weeks at sea stumbling around on land like a drunken sailor for a few days till I got my land legs back.

Rest up Elsa...so glad you are safe and with your beau who I'm sure you know was very concerned about you and tip top at organizing aid.

Of course we would love to meet you and hear all about your adventure if you are ever up for a little baja experience! Take good care and have some fun now!

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-4-2014 at 08:18 AM

May I be first to say, ''YIPPIE-SKIPPY !!" What an incredible adventure. Thanks for the update, Shari.
bb

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Pages:  1  ..  4    6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.