BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: What exkactly is a "Hostel" and what was your experience with one?
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 07:31 AM
What exkactly is a "Hostel" and what was your experience with one?

I haven't been in one and wonder what a hostel is all about. Is a dorm type room? Do people of all ages use them? I found listings for 3 or 4 hostels in Baja south of Ensenada. Do hostels exist basically for a cheap stay?
The Wonderer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 08:25 AM

I did the youth hostel thing 25 years ago. Accommodations vary from hostel to hostel, but typically they offer cheep dorm type sleeping arrangements in exchange for an hour or two of work. The ones I stayed in were geared for the lone traveler. They would open their doors mid afternoon, and expect you to be on your way mid morning. Good way to travel for 20 something’s, as you get good travel tips from fellow guests, but I don’t think I would like to do it today.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 08:25 AM

Rent the movie "Hostel", it is a fairly accurate portrayal of typical hostel...

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
AndyP
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Wonderer
I did the youth hostel thing 25 years ago. Accommodations vary from hostel to hostel, but typically they offer cheep dorm type sleeping arrangements in exchange for an hour or two of work. The ones I stayed in were geared for the lone traveler. They would open their doors mid afternoon, and expect you to be on your way mid morning. Good way to travel for 20 something’s, as you get good travel tips from fellow guests, but I don’t think I would like to do it today.

These days most hostels are just like a normal hotel except you rent a bed in a shared dorm instead of a private room... no work-for-bed arrangements involved.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 08:49 AM

Think military style open bay barracks

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalearner
I haven't been in one and wonder what a hostel is all about. Is a dorm type room? Do people of all ages use them? I found listings for 3 or 4 hostels in Baja south of Ensenada. Do hostels exist basically for a cheap stay?

tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 08:56 AM

In addition, they have a community kitchen so you can cook your own food. When I used to be a vendor, I would stay in hostels all the time. I liked it, it was a lot less than staying in a motel, I could cook my own food, and meet people that were traveling at the same time.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

....hence the name....you wake up feeling 'Hostel'
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 09:17 AM

There is the Gorilla Hostel about half way up the hill going to La Bufadora. For a few extra pesos DENNIS will hook him up to electricity and he will beat his chest.
dwedeking

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

Only if military = air force, they didn't remind me the army style communal living at all. The couple that I have stayed in had slide card security to enter the rooms and lockers in the rooms to secure items. Most of the rooms were between 4 and 8 people per room.

I just did a week in San Francisco this spring staying in hostels. $30 a night vs $100 - $200+ a night. You really have to check out where your staying though and adjust for your own comfort level. One had individual shower rooms that you could lock the door on, others were more like a gym with a row of individual stalls but still open. One I stayed in even had power connections built into the bunk beds so you charger you stuff and keep it close. I'm in my mid 40's and while the trend (90%) was mostly young people in their late teens through late 20's, there were a few middle aged people traveling this way.

I used hostelworld.com to book my stays, and the reviews were fairly accurate.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 10:32 AM

Hostels have "matured" in some places around the world. Economic lodging that has the "dorm thing", but some have private rooms w/ bath, etc. It's not just a poor hippy thing any more.....but nothing really wrong with that anyways :cool:

Don't believe everything you think....
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 10:56 AM

the hostel in Loreto is composed of rooms...singles/doubles/triples around a central courtyard with a community kitchen (I think...can't swear to the kitchen). I talked to some folks who stayed there and said it was fine. not 'cheap' though, at 55US for two. not having been in it myself I can't say much more than that about it.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 11:33 AM

I use to stay in hostels a lot back in the day, when I was a poor hippy, you know a "60s throwback" as I've been called, LMAO!

Nowadays although they are perhaps cheaper than a hotel, they are starting to get pricey! They are a cool place to stay tho, a sense of community and ya meet all kinds of interesting people who have lots of travel stories and info to share!

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 03:20 PM

$55 for a hostel? There is a perfectly fine hotel there on the circle in Loreto that gets 500 pesos for a room. At least a year go.
ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Rent the movie "Hostel", it is a fairly accurate portrayal of typical hostel...
X2 crazy movie
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 05:45 PM

You'll meet some cool people.

bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 07:18 PM

Thank you to all you contributors for the info...I have a good idea of what hostels' are now and I'm going to try a few for the experiences on my next trip.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalearner
Thank you to all you contributors for the info...I have a good idea of what hostels' are now and I'm going to try a few for the experiences on my next trip.

Don't forget to watch the movie first, it will show you a thing or two to watch out for....

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 07:58 PM

http://www.coyotecals.com

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
http://www.coyotecals.com

We've been there, it was fun and they served good food family style and you can get a Tai massage. Beautiful place too....

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rhintransit
the hostel in Loreto is composed of rooms...singles/doubles/triples around a central courtyard with a community kitchen (I think...can't swear to the kitchen). I talked to some folks who stayed there and said it was fine. not 'cheap' though, at 55US for two. not having been in it myself I can't say much more than that about it.

nothing in Loreto is cheap...I was just reminded of that a few weeks ago.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.