Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Border crossing 32 foot RV with tow vehicle
RenoJoe
Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-23-2014 at 11:39 PM
Border crossing 32 foot RV with tow vehicle

RV south From Riverside and north from Ensenada. What crossing and what lane?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2014 at 06:22 AM

Explain, please.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2014 at 06:50 AM

IMHO, not Tijuana unless you are very familiar with the exact way to do it. One wrong turn, one missed exit and you're in trouble with a rig that long.

I vote for Tecate.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 7-24-2014 at 07:06 AM

Agreed, Tecate. Less stress and a lower possibility of going down the wrong streets.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

RenoJoe
Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-24-2014 at 07:07 AM

I purchased a newer 32 foot class A motorhome and would like to take it from Reno to Bahia Asuncion. Will be leaving the 4th or 5th of august. Back to Reno the 18th of august. Whats the easest border crossing. I've been in the wrong lane before.
prt328
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2014 at 08:11 AM

We took our 32 down last January and crossed at Tecate. It was painless with no wait. The road getting to Tecate is however worse than some stretches of MX 1 (narrow and winding). I came back through Otay Mesa as it supposedly had a shorter wait but got in the wrong lane. Stay in the left hand lanes. Regardless of where you cross you will have to go through secondary. I was only held for 5 minutes in Otay. Have a safe trip!
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2014 at 02:53 PM

If you cross at Tijuana, you have to go to the far right lane.
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2014 at 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by prt328
We took our 32 down last January and crossed at Tecate. It was painless with no wait. The road getting to Tecate is however worse than some stretches of MX 1 (narrow and winding). I came back through Otay Mesa as it supposedly had a shorter wait but got in the wrong lane. Stay in the left hand lanes. Regardless of where you cross you will have to go through secondary. I was only held for 5 minutes in Otay. Have a safe trip!

where did you get your tourist card - parking @ Tecate etc. ?
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2014 at 08:20 PM

Cross south at San Ysidro. Trying to park a rig that long in Tecate to get your card is an exercise in futility. (You can try and find or rent parking on the US side of Tecate and walk across to get your FMM, but that can be iffy too.)

Cross north at Tecate. Expect to be sent to secondary.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2014 at 08:47 PM

After wandering lost through the streets of TJ with a tag axle RV and towing, I have never crossed there again. It is Tecate both south and northbound hands down. We always get insurance and tourist cards sent from Discover Baja at the first of the year for hassle free time saving entry's. Spending the night at Potrero County Park near Tecate the night before crossing allows for early morning entry at Tecate and a comfortable drive as far as Catavina that day if your destination is farther south.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-24-2014 at 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mojo_norte

Parking in Tecate (U.S. side) has changed immensely in the last few years. They've 'redded-out' (no parking) almost all curbside for big rigs and trailers, and made a half dozen parking lots for pay on the right as you approach the border. Best bet for parking is in the first lot you come to on the right as you enter town; all others are too small of spaces to maneuver a trailer/motorhome in.

Easy walk-down to the border, go through the turnstile gate, first big building on right is Émigré, go in to the right, get your FMM, walk back towards the border 50' and there's a little kiosk there to take your money, take receipt back to Émigré, they stam the FMM and you cross the street, walk through U.S. customs, get in your rig and gone. Easy-peasy, Buy pesos, get a coffee or a pop for the road, stretch a little and voila! BAJA BOUND.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver
After wandering lost through the streets of TJ with a tag axle RV and towing, I have never crossed there again. It is Tecate both south and northbound hands down. We always get insurance and tourist cards sent from Discover Baja at the first of the year for hassle free time saving entry's. Spending the night at Potrero County Park near Tecate the night before crossing allows for early morning entry at Tecate and a comfortable drive as far as Catavina that day if your destination is farther south.

Are the tourist cards from Discover Baja now prepaid - or do you have to still get a bank stamp - and then another stamp? from immigration for them to be valid? I believe that's how it was in the past ?
prt328
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 07:08 AM

I am a permanent resident but had to stop anyways. Immigration is on the right as you cross; we went around the block and parked on the street for a short walk. Maybe I got lucky but it was painless. The customs inspection was also very brief. It's a great place to cross, just didn't like the U.S. road getting to it.
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by prt328

I am a permanent resident but had to stop anyways. Immigration is on the right as you cross; we went around the block and parked on the street for a short walk. Maybe I got lucky but it was painless. The customs inspection was also very brief. It's a great place to cross, just didn't like the U.S. road getting to it.

A bit more difficult finding parking if towing 32' rig
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 07:59 AM

Mojo- pre-paid cards are still available through a number of companies, but you still have to pay at a bank AT THE BORDER, not Ensenada or points south, and get it stamped, plus you pay the company that issues it for the 'privilege' of typing it out for you. Plus, if you do have it pre-made, you HAVE to cross at that particular border crossing on the FMM they do for you.

Just grab the first lot on the right as you enter Tecate U.S., a block walk, git 'er done.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dasubergeek
Cross south at San Ysidro. Trying to park a rig that long in Tecate to get your card is an exercise in futility. (You can try and find or rent parking on the US side of Tecate and walk across to get your FMM, but that can be iffy too.)

Cross north at Tecate. Expect to be sent to secondary.

Good point. Southbound at the brand new San Ysidro crossing is easy and there is plenty of parking to get the tourist visa. After that just follow the signs to Playas de Tijuana and the toll road to Ensenada. Northbound is better at Tecate.
cliffh
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 10:46 AM

Agree with SFandH south bound through San Ysidro is great tecate north perfect, stay away from mon. Hadn't been through TJ in a few years wanted to see new crossing, big mistake 3 1/2 hours, good news first time in year's secondary was so busy they jumped in 5th wheel looked, less then 4 min and we were on our way
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 11:27 AM

Went through Tecate both ways with F150 pulling 23 ft trailer. Went through south and had them look into TT for 2 mins. Stopped 3 blocks away down second street on right. Went back to border for FMMs and money exchange. No big deal, Came back through Tecate and had secondary of course (all RVs to secondary) looked 5 mins and on way. Be aware that the road from Ensenada to Tecate is used by empty big rigs going to border to pick up loads and they travel at warp speed. They will pass you if you are going speed limit or slower even on blind curves. Always watch behind you and in front and be ready to slow down if they pass so you don't get caught in a head on. Had to do two quick stops to avoid head-ons on blind right hand curves from passing vehicles.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 11:36 AM

I don't get all the angst about going through TJ. Tecate is an extra 2 hour drive...but whatever.
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman
I don't get all the angst about going through TJ. Tecate is an extra 2 hour drive...but whatever.

The issue is that not all the lanes at SY northbound are able to accommodate the trailer width. You have to know which lane to be in of the 24 that could be open. Tecate only has two lanes, each exactly the same width.

Southbound, though, SY is the way to go. You have to tie up traffic a little bit making that sharp right at the bottom of the 5, but then you just go straight and make the last possible left (back side of the poles) and there's plenty of parking while you walk to get your FMM done. Then it's one turn and you're on Av. Internacional headed to the cuota.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.