Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Play by Play Smoked Pull Pork Recipe
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2014 at 06:11 PM
Play by Play Smoked Pull Pork Recipe

This Fall I plan on traveling to the only area of Baja I have not been. Shari watch out here I come. Any way this recipe can be cooked at your Baja camp site or home with a smoker that would fit in the littlest car. That is if your smoker is the #1 priority of your trip like mine is.

After a hard week of work it HOT Fullerton working on cell phone type towers it's time to relax, have a c o o o ld beer, a case er glass of wine or two and unwind with my favorite hobby of cooking in my home in usually cool San Diego (not today).

I thought I'd do something different this time and present pics and recipes in real time. I just prepped a whole pork shoulder cut into two 8 lb roasts. I made the rub and the injection recipe, then injected the roasts, placed them in the biggest ziplock I've ever seen (electronic equip bag) and placed them in the frig to brine over night. Tomorrow pics will show the lighting of the coals and the start of a 13-16 hour smoking process.

Starting Material

Injection of 2 cups into each roast

"The Money Muscle". This striped chunk of meat is the choice piece that professional BBQ masters present to the judges. You treat this part of the roast as King of the Roast. A second injection is in order.

Rest until tomorrow.

Recipes for the injection and rub. I find recipes online and copy them into Word. Then store them under a Recipe Folder for another day. I usually change each recipe after tasting it to add a-little-of-this-or-that or less-of-this-or-that for the next time. I'll be looking at this recipe to taste either the pear or habanero inside the roast or I'll change it accordingly.

To be Continued tomorrow starting at 4am.....

[Edited on 7-25-2014 by Lobsterman]
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 7-24-2014 at 08:00 PM

.....oh man I can feel the love, one of my faves.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 12:26 AM

You're making me hungry!

"The future ain't what it used to be"
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 06:42 AM

Day Two

Up at 0430 to take the butts out of the frig and make coffee. At 0530 started 25 coals. Added the 25 coals when lit to about 5 lbs of unlit charcoal (minion method).

Wiped the brine off with paper towels and applied a thin coating of olive oil to both butts. Then used the remainder of the rub on the meat side not the fat side. I'll put some more rub on the fat side after it renders a bit and the roasts are turned over.

Butts on under a water bath at 0615. Ideal smoking temp is 250 deg.

This is my cooking area littered with BBQs, smokers and a portable 2-burner stove of yore with the exception of a newer Weber 26.5" grill (they are either charcoal, gas or electric). I prefer charcoal by a wide margin. The smoker I'm using is an 18" Weber Smokey Mountain.

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 07:03 AM

You are one cooking guy ... thanks :):)

weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 08:02 AM

www.smokingmeatforums.com

More than you'll ever want to know about smoking meat.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 08:42 AM

Lobsterman
I am just beginning and trying to learn about smoking. I built a smoker for my place in BoLA and I have a small smoker similar to yours here in San Diego. Last week Albertsons had picnic shoulders on sale for $1.29 so I bought a 10 pound one. I slathered it up with some mustard and put on my rub, then put it on the smoker at 250-260 and let it go for 12 hours. I took it off when the internal temp reached 196 and let it rest for 30 minutes. Delicious. I think next time I will pull it off at 190 degrees and I am going to get a syringe so I can inject it like you do. This is a really fun hobby. One of my few hobbies that my wife is happy about.
Larry
Larry

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 09:34 AM

After 3-hours. Notice the rendered fat from the top roast dripping onto the bottom butt. I think I'll switch positions in 2 hours so the top butt can get dripped on as well.

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 10:16 AM

Thanks for the report. Looks delicious------- so where is San Diego do you live? :tumble:
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 10:17 AM

What time's dinner?

rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 10:22 AM

oh, yum! keep those teasing photos coming...

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 01:04 PM

After 6-hours. I wrapped one of the butts in double alum foil with some liquid and BBQ sauce, fat side down. The other butt I'll finish as is. I love the blacken crispies of fat and meat (chicharones con carne). Both butts are at 157 degrees "the crunch stage".

Brian L
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 01:38 PM

Aren't you using wood to provide the smoke?

Brian
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 04:45 PM

Kingsford is a combo of charcoal and coal. Here is a explanation of how charcoal is made.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LS5jwDPjE14&hd=1

Some very famous smoker only use Kingsford.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 05:16 PM

After 11 hours

The top butt is an hour or two away. The bottom butt is only at 167 degrees. Once I take the top butt off I'll replace it with teriyaki marinated yellowtail I caught last week 27 miles off point loma. Might as well kill two birds with one stone.

I used hickory chunks for the first 5 hours only. I'll use apple wood once I put the YT on.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 06:11 PM

Dang, You're killing me, I'm getting tired of king salmon or halibut every night.

Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 06:15 PM

12- Hours Later

I'm in a dilemma. It's 6pm and dinner is no where's close. Therefore, I'll continue cooking the butts until they are done (about 9-10 pm) and then put them in a cooler for tomorrow's problem.

The teriyaki marinated and dried YT is on with apple wood smoke for 30 minutes. The temp is higher than I'd like but I'm trying to finish the butts as 1st priority. Therefore, the YT will cook more than slow smoke. Temp is 275 degrees. Then apply a thick teriyaki baste until done about 2-hours.

[Edited on 7-26-2014 by Lobsterman]

[Edited on 7-28-2014 by Lobsterman]
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 08:26 PM

14- Hours later

It's time for bed, ready or not all stuff comes off the smoker, wrapped and placed in a cooler. The YT cools then into a ziplock into the frig.

Nite all
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 09:21 PM

:):)

Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 12:40 AM

Yum. That's all. Yum.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.