BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: A Simple Way to Prevent Stroke...take your pulse
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 7-24-2014 at 10:11 PM
A Simple Way to Prevent Stroke...take your pulse

An irregular heartbeat called atrial fibrillation is a big cause of stroke, especially for people who have recently had a stroke. But it's not something that most people can feel.

Doctors test for atrial fibrillation by hooking people up to an electrocardiogram machine at the office, or having them wear a Holter monitor for a day or a week. There are also implantable monitors to check for afib, but they aren't widely used.

Learning to take your own pulse may be as effective and a lot simpler, according to German researchers.

They trained 220 older people who had had a stroke to tell the difference between a normal pulse and the fluttery abnormal rhythm of afib.

The training was considered a success if the people were able to correctly measure their pulse twice in a row; 196 people aced the test, for an 89 percent success rate.

To find out if the amateurs' measurements actually detected afib, the patients also were being continuously monitored on an electrocardiogram. But they weren't able to see the ECG monitor while doing the self-test.

It found that 57 of the patients had irregular heartbeats.

Turning the standard ambulance into a specialized stroke treatment unit could help.

The patients who checked their own pulse rate provided reliable results 89 percent of the time. They identified irregular rhythms 54 percent of the time, and normal rhythms 96 percent of the time. They incorrectly thought they had afib just 3 percent of the time.

False positives are one downside of having people self-test, says Dr. Bernd Kallmunzer, a neurologist at Universitatsklinikum Erlangen in Germany who led the study. They typically would be told to go get an ECG test. But because there were only 6 people who thought they had afib when they didn't, "the number of 'unnecessary' ECG recordings are expect to be rather low," Kallmunzer said in an email.

Relatives also were trained to take the patients' pulses, and they did even better, identifying irregular rhythms 77 percent of the time.

The results were published online Wednesday in the journal Neurology.

"Many times people don't know they're in afib," says Dr. Ralph Sacco, chairman of the department of neurology at the University of Miami. "This group is trying to propose a more simple, cheap method that may work, having stroke patients and their caregivers monitor pulse.

"There's very little downsides other than maybe the extra anxiety if you thought there was something wrong if it wasn't," Sacco told Shots.

He can foresee the day when people would check their pulse rates the way they check their blood pressure, but notes that the test will be less useful in younger people and older people not at risk of stroke.

People with atrial fibrillation can be given medications that substantially reduce their risk of a blood clot and stroke.

Want to try it yourself? The American Heart Association has written instructions. Or check out this nifty video from the British Heart Foundation that also lets you hear the difference between regular and irregular heartbeats.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/07/24/334459624/a-simpl...
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-24-2014 at 11:55 PM

Didn't work. Took my pulse, then I had a stroke. Then, I had another stroke. Then, I decided to.... never-mind.

So how does feeling a bit of A-fib relate to an embolism/aneurism event? Are you having one, or is it a precursor? The article you copied says it's for people who already have experienced one, more or less. Pretty large and vague spectrum there.

Also, how does B/P react when an event is imminent, both stroke and heart attack? For those who monitor regularly with heart disease(s), what precursors are red flags? Not just the 'squeezing, pain, numbness, radiating pain' symptoms, but what does B/P and pulse do? Increase, decrease, A-fib mildly or strongly present?

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 01:13 AM

Each case is different. You would have to be evaluated on a case by case basis. Feel free to call your doctor and make an appointment. Thanks for asking!
Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
Didn't work. Took my pulse, then I had a stroke. Then, I had another stroke. Then, I decided to.... never-mind.

So how does feeling a bit of A-fib relate to an embolism/aneurism event? Are you having one, or is it a precursor? The article you copied says it's for people who already have experienced one, more or less. Pretty large and vague spectrum there.

Also, how does B/P react when an event is imminent, both stroke and heart attack? For those who monitor regularly with heart disease(s), what precursors are red flags? Not just the 'squeezing, pain, numbness, radiating pain' symptoms, but what does B/P and pulse do? Increase, decrease, A-fib mildly or strongly present?
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 07:24 AM

Most blood pressure monitors (I have several) show an irregular heartbeat.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 08:09 AM

There's a difference between an irregular heartbeat and A-fib though. When I went through my EMT training they brought in a 'ringer' one evening, an older gal (long-time EMT) that had lived with an irregular heartbeat for years. First time I took her pulse doing basic assessment I jumped out of my skin! She just grinned at me and said, "good catch..."

I just find this whole article medical mumbo-jumbo with no clear path or answers. "Take your pulse and prevent a stroke". Huh? Basic health awareness, yes. Makes any sense? No. Sowwy.

86 - 45*

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 12:50 PM

In the last 2 years I had 2 stents installed. The cardiologist who did the procedure made me take a full aspirin a day, 325mg, and that ,with the plavix 75mg makes my blood so thin that I ruin a lot of clothes with just miniscule scratches that bleed forever. Our kitten made me look like coming from a severe whipping. My regular cardiologist wanted to put me on warfarin or pradaxa, but I'm afraid ,taking that, I will bleed forever.

Answers??

Air Evacuation go to
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 01:17 PM

Some people have a normal irregular heart beat periodically with no problem and no need for meds. It just happens according to two cardiologists I have been sent to over the years when the regular doctor picked up on a temporary irregular beat.

See a doctor in person.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 02:00 PM

I had a-fib. I then had a process called a cardioversion where they stopped and re-started my heart. I've had a steady beat for 3 years now.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 02:11 PM

In another few weeks, my cardiologist is scheduling me for another cardioversion.
I had one last year, but the circumstances were different, and therefore the need for a new one.
Hopefully this one will stick. The last one only lasted 5 days.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 02:20 PM

Has your Dr. dicussed watching your diet regarding foods high in vitamin K?

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
In the last 2 years I had 2 stents installed. The cardiologist who did the procedure made me take a full aspirin a day, 325mg, and that ,with the plavix 75mg makes my blood so thin that I ruin a lot of clothes with just miniscule scratches that bleed forever. Our kitten made me look like coming from a severe whipping. My regular cardiologist wanted to put me on warfarin or pradaxa, but I'm afraid ,taking that, I will bleed forever.

Answers??

[Edited on 7-25-2014 by danaeb]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 02:23 PM

Quote:

Answers??

Don't cut yourself, and have tourniquets around just in case.

But...most importantly, don't stop living.

[Edited on 7-25-2014 by DENNIS]

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 02:27 PM

BTW Dennis when are we going to eat hamburgers in Sano's parking lot?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 03:09 PM

................................................soon.................................................

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
greengoes
Select Nomad

Mood: Today I slay the Red Dot.

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 03:27 PM

Right after the phish taco assignation, maybe.

ANUNCIATE AQUI
DISPONIBLE
INFORMES LLAMA SNOWBALL - 646-115-7754
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 03:42 PM

Quote:

Answers??

Van, I have FIVE stents AND a collateral artery, which is a home-grown stent the heart grows itself when an artery is blocked (very severe hereditary heart disease). My cardio doc has me on 81 mg. aspirin (made for heart disease control) and will be for the rest of my life. When a stent is placed, I take at least a one-year run of Plavix; there are lots of different kinds of stents, some medicated, some not, but Plavix and now a newer and more expensive drug called Effexa (sp?) are the go-to drugs. Talk to your cardio doc about reducing the aspirin; that much can cause stomach damage and internal bleeding.

Is your cardio team a well-reputed group? If you're relying on the VA, RUN AWAY. Sounds like you might get a 2nd opinion.

86 - 45*

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 04:07 PM

WOW .. you guys take it slow ... :):)

bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
WOW .. you guys take it slow ... :):)

To hell with that! I'll take it all as fast as I can !!! :lol: ;D

edit: maddafact, it's time for my 5 pm martini as we speak; toodle-oo!:bounce:

[Edited on 7-25-2014 by bajabuddha]

86 - 45*

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
Is your cardio team a well-reputed group? If you're relying on the VA, RUN AWAY. Sounds like you might get a 2nd opinion.

Sutter medical group, one of the most reputable groups in Northern California.
Have several cardiologists look after me.
Mostly nice people but the head honcho kind of an arrogant pain.

Air Evacuation go to
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Don't cut yourself, and have tourniquets around just in case.

But...most importantly, don't stop living.

[Edited on 7-25-2014 by DENNIS]

I'm trying buddy and hope my martinis help my cause.:biggrin::biggrin:

Air Evacuation go to
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Some people have a normal irregular heart beat periodically with no problem and no need for meds. It just happens according to two cardiologists I have been sent to over the years when the regular doctor picked up on a temporary irregular beat.

See a doctor in person.

This!

Fact is that big Pharma has a bunch of ridiculously priced drugs, and they prey on people's fear.

It's all about profits. Not saving lives.
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.