Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: A Simple Way to Prevent Stroke...take your pulse
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 05:12 PM

Here's an inexpensive and easier and more reliable way to check pulse rate as well as blood oxygen level from a finger.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Veridian-Deluxe-Pulse-Oximeter-Blo...
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver
Here's an inexpensive and easier and more reliable way to check pulse rate as well as blood oxygen level from a finger.

I use one along with the wrist cuff type which I prefer because it has a de-fib indicator as well.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver

A pulse-oximeter is that little finger clamp put on you on every assessment you go to at the Dr's office. Doesn't measure B/P, just oxygen saturation levels in your blood and basic pulse. Pulse? Easy-peasy. Li'l dent in your thumb-side wrist, you can feel pulse rate, pace, and tempo. Oxygen levels are what you are assimilating at the moment.

Two points; Effexa is NOT the drug I was thinking of, forgot the new name, tossed the bottle. Plavix is the main go-to. And Van, the 'arrogant' doc you were referring to? I already ditched one for that reason, went to another group, internationally renown. Like Dr. Oz, sometimes ego and prestige takes precedence over patient care. Que no?

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 05:54 PM

you guys take your own vitals huh?

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 05:59 PM

UURRGGG. GRRKKKKHHH.. HHNNNNNN.................. beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 06:05 PM

I took my pulse this morning and I did not have a stroke all day! It worked!
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
An irregular heartbeat called atrial fibrillation is a big cause of stroke, especially for people who have recently had a stroke. But it's not something that most people can feel.

Doctors test for atrial fibrillation by hooking people up to an electrocardiogram machine at the office, or having them wear a Holter monitor for a day or a week. There are also implantable monitors to check for afib, but they aren't widely used.

Learning to take your own pulse may be as effective and a lot simpler, according to German researchers.

They trained 220 older people who had had a stroke to tell the difference between a normal pulse and the fluttery abnormal rhythm of afib.

The training was considered a success if the people were able to correctly measure their pulse twice in a row; 196 people aced the test, for an 89 percent success rate.

To find out if the amateurs' measurements actually detected afib, the patients also were being continuously monitored on an electrocardiogram. But they weren't able to see the ECG monitor while doing the self-test.

It found that 57 of the patients had irregular heartbeats.

Turning the standard ambulance into a specialized stroke treatment unit could help.

The patients who checked their own pulse rate provided reliable results 89 percent of the time. They identified irregular rhythms 54 percent of the time, and normal rhythms 96 percent of the time. They incorrectly thought they had afib just 3 percent of the time.

False positives are one downside of having people self-test, says Dr. Bernd Kallmunzer, a neurologist at Universitatsklinikum Erlangen in Germany who led the study. They typically would be told to go get an ECG test. But because there were only 6 people who thought they had afib when they didn't, "the number of 'unnecessary' ECG recordings are expect to be rather low," Kallmunzer said in an email.

Relatives also were trained to take the patients' pulses, and they did even better, identifying irregular rhythms 77 percent of the time.

The results were published online Wednesday in the journal Neurology.

"Many times people don't know they're in afib," says Dr. Ralph Sacco, chairman of the department of neurology at the University of Miami. "This group is trying to propose a more simple, cheap method that may work, having stroke patients and their caregivers monitor pulse.

"There's very little downsides other than maybe the extra anxiety if you thought there was something wrong if it wasn't," Sacco told Shots.

He can foresee the day when people would check their pulse rates the way they check their blood pressure, but notes that the test will be less useful in younger people and older people not at risk of stroke.

People with atrial fibrillation can be given medications that substantially reduce their risk of a blood clot and stroke.

Want to try it yourself? The American Heart Association has written instructions. Or check out this nifty video from the British Heart Foundation that also lets you hear the difference between regular and irregular heartbeats.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2014/07/24/334459624/a-simpl...

I had an irregular heartbeat for years and the doctors were aware of it but told me not to worry. I have high blood pressure and was taking .25mg of Amlodapine and Losarten (100 mg). My doctor at Sharp took me off of the Amlodapine and there is no longer any irregularities in my heart beat. HOWEVER, I have a slow heart beat and very soon I am to have a pace maker installed.
Any of the Nomads had much experience with pacemakers?

bacquito
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 06:47 PM

Quote:
An irregular heartbeat called atrial fibrillation is a big cause of stroke, especially for people who have recently had a stroke. But it's not something that most people can feel.

Doctors test for atrial fibrillation by hooking people up to an electrocardiogram machine at the office, or having them wear a Holter monitor for a day or a week. There are also implantable monitors to check for afib, but they aren't widely used.

Learning to take your own pulse may be as effective and a lot simpler, according to German researchers.

They trained 220 older people who had had a stroke to tell the difference between a normal pulse and the fluttery abnormal rhythm of afib.

The training was considered a success if the people were able to correctly measure their pulse twice in a row; 196 people aced the test, for an 89 percent success rate.

To find out if the amateurs' measurements actually detected afib, the patients also were being continuously monitored on an electrocardiogram. But they weren't able to see the ECG monitor while doing the self-test.

Turning the standard ambulance into a specialized stroke treatment unit could help.

The patients who checked their own pulse rate provided reliable results 89 percent of the time. They identified irregular rhythms 54 percent of the time, and normal rhythms 96 percent of the time. They incorrectly thought they had afib just 3 percent of the time.

False positives are one downside of having people self-test, says Dr. Bernd Kallmunzer, a neurologist at Universitatsklinikum Erlangen in Germany who led the study. They typically would be told to go get an ECG test. But because there were only 6 people who thought they had afib when they didn't, "the number of 'unnecessary' ECG recordings are expect to be rather low," Kallmunzer said in an email.

Relatives also were trained to take the patients' pulses, and they did even better, identifying irregular rhythms 77 percent of the time.

"Many times people don't know they're in afib," says Dr. Ralph Sacco, chairman of the department of neurology at the University of Miami. "This group is trying to propose a more simple, cheap method that may work, having stroke patients and their caregivers monitor pulse.

"There's very little downsides other than maybe the extra anxiety if you thought there was something wrong if it wasn't," Sacco told Shots.

He can foresee the day when people would check their pulse rates the way they check their blood pressure, but notes that the test will be less useful in younger people and older people not at risk of stroke.

People with atrial fibrillation can be given medications that substantially reduce their risk of a blood clot and stroke.

Want to try it yourself? The American Heart Association has written instructions. Or check out this nifty video from the British Heart Foundation that also lets you hear the difference between regular and irregular heartbeats.

So all I have to do to prevent a stroke is take my pulse....sounds pretty easy to me:?:

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy

So all I have to do to prevent a stroke is take my pulse....sounds pretty easy to me:?:

Only works if you take it with an X-acto knife.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 07:40 PM

SF 17 ... :lol::lol: ... should the blade be sharp

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Popular blood thinner Pradaxa maker withheld critical safety data

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/11316/20140726/popular-blo...

Say, would this be "criminal" ... or just "white collar" crime

[Edited on 7-26-2014 by wessongroup]

Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:

Visited my MD's office recently, her assistant took my B/P -- new Doc, new assistant. After couple tries, I asked what the number was and she said ''99.'' I said right.

Taking a pulse or B/P reading is simple if you've been trained, and practiced these procedures. I have a couple of these and they're accurate. http://www.amazon.com/Omron-Series-Pressure-Monitor-ComFit/d...

I have a-fib and manage it as it's not constant.

If you are a-fib or have cardio problems, I recommend a B/P cuff and Steath -- I have a Littman probably recognized as the standard.

The Cuff is automatic just push a button. Doing the procedure manually takes training and lots of practice.

A PulseOx is useful in some situations. Mostly when there is a question of blood oxygenation where oxygen intake is unstable. (post surgery, ICU). At sea level, oxygen should be high 90s, at elevation maybe low 90s.

My B/P machine gives me a pulse reading. Doing it manually using the brachial or radial arteries is also simple as I've done it hundreds of times.

I thought the article posted was bogus and misleading.

The article states that ''Doctors test for atrial fibrillation by hooking people up to an electrocardiogram machine at the office, or having them wear a Holter monitor….

Learning to take your own pulse may be as effective and a lot simpler, according to German researchers.''

Is that right? Doctors (cardiologists) use a EKG machine (to test electrical activity in the heart) but it's simpler and ''as effective'' to just take your own pulse?

Laughable.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 11:17 AM

I didn't say that checking your pulse was ÄLL you have to do. I found this article to be very informative for the lay person who knows little to nothing about atrial fibrillation. I check my pulse regularly to check for an irregular heartbeat, and anyone over 50 should check for abnormalities or rhythm changes. IF you find an irregular heartbeat, then you should naturally follow up. It is a warning sign that if continues unchecked, can cause blood clots in your heart and cause a stroke. I am sorry if the article was not self explanatory. Any abnormal finding by a patient should be followed up with medical care. The pulse checking is a screening tool, nothing more.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 11:44 AM
Also consider...

...taking earlier action on reducing risk factors as part of prevention measures:

High blood pressure
High cholesterol
Atrial fibrillation
Being overweight
Diabetes
Excessive alcohol consumption
Physical inactivity
Smoking
Stress

Source:
http://www.heartandstroke.com/site/c.ikIQLcMWJtE/b.3483939/k...

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by windgrrl

High blood pressure
High cholesterol
Atrial fibrillation
Being overweight
Diabetes
Physical inactivity
Smoking

...the whole funthings list!:(
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by micah202
Quote:
Originally posted by windgrrl

High blood pressure
High cholesterol
Atrial fibrillation
Being overweight
Diabetes
Physical inactivity
Smoking

...the whole funthings list!:(

Not necessarily.

One can assess one's risk (anonymously) using the link below to see if one cares to make a behaviour change in any one of the areas:
https://ehealth.heartandstroke.ca/heartstroke/hsra/?LID=1&am...

After all, the title of this section is Baja Health and Wellness, not Baja Illness!:tumble:

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 01:20 PM

.....yeh,yeh I know-sometimes we gotta choose

.......I don't like being a quitter,,,but quit smoking 5 weeks ago--used to be able to burn at both ends,,not so much now;)
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 01:40 PM

Quote:
I didn't say that checking your pulse was ÄLL you have to do. I found this article to be very informative for the lay person who knows little to nothing about atrial fibrillation.

Do you know what a Titulo de Medico Cirujano is?

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

F*ck it.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 06:41 PM

Quote:
It is a Titulo Medico and if you don't like my comments then please refrain from the sarcasm and defamatory comments. I liked the article so what? I like I LOVE LUCY too. Does that make me a bad doctor?
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
Quote:
I didn't say that checking your pulse was ÄLL you have to do. I found this article to be very informative for the lay person who knows little to nothing about atrial fibrillation.

Do you know what a Titulo de Medico Cirujano is?

[Edited on 7-26-2014 by EnsenadaDr]

You're certainly entitled to your opinion Janene even if you're misguided. If you think the article you posted, with no comment, is informative and helpful to those elderly with no clue about how to take a pulse, and that you believe recognizing a stroke is as simple as taking a pulse, I'd be of the opinion that you are not a competent or knowledgeable health care provider.

It does appear that you are attempting to practice medicine on this forum and are trolling for business and a date with Dennis.

Nothing personal. Hope you are better at diagnostics than you are charting.

F*ck it.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 09:52 PM

It appears the article is slanted toward individuals who have no idea they are at risk of a stroke or heart attack due to Atfib by checking their heart rate. It does not follow up on getting in to see a Doctor ASAP if you detect an irregularity. Some people will figure this out. Others will not. Depends on level of comprehension.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 10:36 PM

Lancair you are right. It sort of is how it is in my office. I will ask a patient if they ever check their pulse. Some say yes, most say no. Then they will ask why. I will then explain that an irregular pulse may cause blood clots and can travel to the brain from the heart and cause a stroke. It is a teaching process in increments, I believe you should assume the person has limited knowledge to start out with. To ridicule people with limited knowledge and say a Doctor is a dummy because they don't start out discussing advanced technology and a technical diagnosis is condescending and rude. Start at the patient's level, work your way up and teach step by step.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.