Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: Baja Spare Tire Question
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 06:09 PM
Baja Spare Tire Question

Maņana I'm getting 4 new BFG tires for my truck, gearing up for Baja.

My spare underneath is a smaller size.

I will be changing out LT285's with more LT285's.

The spare below is smaller at LT255.

In your experience, is it better to keep an old tire as the spare that is the same size (LT285) or keep the brand new spare tire that's a LT255?

My guess is keep the new smaller tire, because it has more tread.

Total random post.

Comments?

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 06:29 PM

4WD vs 2WD? (I think I know, but it is an important bit of info.)

Is the new tire size more than 1" taller than the spare? If not I would not worry, if it was my truck (I am running 1" taller than stock and spare size). However, I almost never need to use my spare, or haven't... Always could plug the hole until I got it patched.

If you get a flat, will you need 4WD before fixing it?

[Edited on 7-26-2014 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 06:33 PM

Get rid of the smaller spare.

Buy a second rim.

Save the two best tires you are replacing and have them mounted on the two rims.

Now you have an extra spare

liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 06:53 PM

Ateo, we carry the stock spare under the truck. And we also have a spare that
Match's the larger tires that we carry in the back. You can always run the smaller tire on the front, But not a good idea on the back, So I have been told. But with the BFG's you won't have any problems! Sorry David, they are good tires.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 06:59 PM

Maybe for some... there sure are lot that don't do well, speaking from personal experience.

Perhaps if they were cheaper than others, or didn't always get sidewall blowouts, I would be charmed as much as some of you by them?

But, they are not cheap nor fail-proof... so why the heavy devotion? Anyway, this discussing isn't helping Jon with an answer.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 07:00 PM

i have a second spare that rides inside for those trips "out there"!!! to keep your drivetrain running smoove you should ALWAYS run tires of the same size on each axle. if you are in 4x4 it is even more critical.

the slight differences in diameters will bind your driveline and, ultimately, lead to failure...... YMMV!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 07:04 PM

4WD with a transfer case (not a full time or AWD system) needs to have front and rear tires be the same diameter.

2WD, open differential, not so critical (except for traction needs)... How else do you explain the little temporary spares so may automobiles come with?

The Toyota trucks most of us have, come with full size spares.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 07:22 PM

keep the NEWEST tire...look at the date code

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngIK4dmTGic

just because it hasn't been on the ground doesn't mean its the best

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 07:24 PM

For short distance a small difference is not a big deal. The little spares say for SLOW SPEED AND LESS THEN 50 MILES (at least mine do).
I would put the 285 as the spare. I just can put a 285 in my spare hanger below. My truck is 4x4 with posi and lockers, so I carry one down below and one in the rack for "out there trips, and leave the rack tire at home for the trade routes.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 07:28 PM

David, I am running a larger than stock tire. No room under my F-250 for the same tire. We have also hade a few side walls fail! Big Rocks on road
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
4WD vs 2WD? (I think I know, but it is an important bit of info.)

Is the new tire size more than 1" taller than the spare? If not I would not worry, if it was my truck (I am running 1" taller than stock and spare size). However, I almost never need to use my spare, or haven't... Always could plug the hole until I got it patched.

If you get a flat, will you need 4WD before fixing it?

[Edited on 7-26-2014 by David K]

1.18" taller than the spare. 2 WD but I pretend I'm 4X4. JK. I have never needed my spare except 1 time when I got 3 flats all at once, on stock Tundra tires, in the 7 sisters. Thank Zeus for Slime.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

Buy a second rim.

Save the two best tires you are replacing and have them mounted on the two rims.

This is exactly what I almost did last time I bought tires. I drove off and realized I never put the spares in the truck. By the time I called them, they had the tires hauled off. BS.

I'll think about it tonight. Thanks.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by liknbaja127
Ateo, we carry the stock spare under the truck. And we also have a spare that
Match's the larger tires that we carry in the back. You can always run the smaller tire on the front, But not a good idea on the back, So I have been told. But with the BFG's you won't have any problems! Sorry David, they are good tires.

Thanks for the feedback. Smaller on back not good. I'll remember that. I think I'm going with the 2 spares, although most trips I don't need that type of extra backup.

liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 07:50 PM

Not with the BFG's:bounce:
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
keep the NEWEST tire...look at the date code

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngIK4dmTGic

just because it hasn't been on the ground doesn't mean its the best

Good point. The spare is technicaly older than the beat to crap tires I'm replacing, even though it looks brand new.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
i have a second spare that rides inside for those trips "out there"!!! to keep your drivetrain running smoove you should ALWAYS run tires of the same size on each axle. if you are in 4x4 it is even more critical.

the slight differences in diameters will bind your driveline and, ultimately, lead to failure...... YMMV!

Thanks Woody. I concur. The 'out there" trips require 2 spares to keep the pucker factor down.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 07:58 PM

Thanks all. You covered every idea I was pondering before I posted this. Tire age, distance to drive to closest llantera, tire size effectiveness etc....

I think I will keep 2 of the old tires (even though they are beat to complete shhhhhhiiiiit after that Baja 1000 excursion into Rancho Nuevo York). I won't need them for more than 30-40 miles.

Nomads, thanks for jumping in and providing intel.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 08:05 PM

No problem. Just buy me a beer next time you drive through Ensenada

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

Buy a second rim.

This is exactly what I almost did last time I bought tires. I drove off and realized I never put the spares in the truck. By the time I called them, they had the tires hauled off. BS.

I'll think about it tonight. Thanks.

Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 10:20 PM

I keep the factory spare and a full size on a matching rim sometimes on top of the cab.
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 09:13 AM

When ever I have a car with a new tire for the spare, I add the spare to the ground the first time I need new tires. Then I only have to buy 3 tires and I use the best old tire as my spare . I use the new tire and I don't like to keep a spare for many years even though it's out of the direct sunshine.

But in this case, the new tire size was changed so it's a different case. But that's my 2 cents.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.