BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Bakersfield man critically injured in zip-lining accident (Cabo)
MexicoTed
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 06:18 PM
Bakersfield man critically injured in zip-lining accident (Cabo)

Shimeaka Hodges spent her 39th birthday Thursday near the southern tip of Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.

But instead of sitting beachside the Bakersfield resident has been praying for her husband Brian in Blue Medical Net Hospital — Cabo San Lucas.

To donate to the Hodges family for lodging, medical and travel expenses, visit gofundme.com/brian--meaka-hodges-fund. The Hodges have a $100,000 fundraising goal and had raised $29,915 as of 3:30 p.m.

Brian Hodges, 36, remained in critical condition Thursday after suffering a severe head injury and broken neck in a zip-lining accident Sunday.

Shimeaka Hodges watched her husband, whom she has known since age 17 and been married to for about a year, crash into a cliff at Wild Canyon Adventures.

“My heart was beating out of my chest,” she said in a phone interview.

“I was helpless. I felt hopeless, and I panicked,” she added. “I didn’t know what to do.

“All I could do was pray.”

In the days since the accident, her time has been split between spending as much time with her husband as possible and trying to get their medical insurers in the United States to pay medical costs up front instead of partly reimbursing them later.

Brian is employed by KS Industries, LP; Shimeaka is a physician’s assistant with Omni Family Health.

Enjoli and Calvin Black, who accompanied the Hodges on the trip, are coordinating fundraising efforts in Bakersfield to help their friends foot a more than $90,000 medical bill that grows by $7,000 a day.

They expect an additional tab of $30,000 to transport Brian back to Bakersfield.

The Blacks had raised slightly more than $29,900 of a $100,000 fundraising goal by Thursday.

“We have quite a bit of community support,” Enjoli Black said.

She did not attend the zip-lining excursion where Brian Hodges was injured, but her husband did.

Calvin Black said his friend crashed during the last zip line of an eight-course zip line excursion.

Black rode the eighth zip line first.

His two sons — 10-year-old Calvin and 9-year-old Cameron — came next.

Then, Black’s cousin — Xavier Upshaw — crossed the canyon, and Shimeaka Hodges followed.

The path they crossed was 295 feet high with a cliff face on the left at the zip line terminus.

Despite gusts of a crosswind, each person in the party successfully journeyed from the starting point across a 2,673-foot route, reaching speeds of nearly 40 mph before stopping on a platform at the zip line’s end.

There they waited for Brian Hodges, who wore a helmet, and, for added support, a four-point harness.

He started to make his way across the canyon, but there was a problem. As he traveled the route he ended up nearly sideways before slamming into the cliff face.

Calvin Black said the adults had been waiting on the platform for Hodges and saw him hit the cliff.

Shimeaka was screaming, “my baby, my baby, my husband,” Black said.

A Wild Canyon worker used the zip line and attached supports to pull Hodges near the platform, where Black helped lower him to safety.

Hodges was rushed to the hospital, where doctors put him in a medically induced coma Sunday to prevent his brain from swelling.

They reduced his level of sedation to check motor skills Wednesday.

He could wiggle his fingers and toes, and fluttered his eyes when his mother — who flew in from Bakersfield with her two sisters — spoke to him.

They were good signs, Enjoli Black said.

And Brian was stable Thursday. Shimeaka said she was “holding up.”

She reads her husband Bible verses daily and prays.

“He’s my one and only love,” she said.

http://www.bakersfieldcalifornian.com/local/x855032359/Bakersfield-man-critically-injured-in-ziplining-accident

[Edited on 7-26-2014 by MexicoTed]

David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 06:24 PM

I am wondering why the zip line operators are not responsible or insured or taking care of this?

I hope he recovers!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Stickers
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 06:35 PM

Local news showed an interview with his wife. She said they would not call a surgeon until she paid them $50,000 U.S.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 06:44 PM

That is awful. My son builds zip lines as a part of his business and he cringes over the zip lines he has seen in Baja and other parts of Mexico and how they are built and maintained.

This is just a terrible tragedy that seems to have been compounded by the need for immediate money for medical care!

DK --- in the US, they would have insurance, but I wonder if they are required to have it in Mexico. I wonder.

I sure hope he will fully recover!
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 08:09 PM

Tragic. Just sent our donation. Keeping Brian in our prayers...

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 08:31 PM

DK why would you think The zip line company any coverage, it's Mexico for god sake.

You do anything outside of the USA and you are on your own. We live in a world that expects everything's is up to "The Standard", It's not. When you go to a 2nd or 3rd world country you buy the ticket and take the ride.

I feel bad for these folks but if you don't understand the risks and get hurt, it's on you. There is traveler ins. emergency e-vac ins. If you don't get these, the cost is on you. How many times have we heard this story?

Insurance is to pay for something that you can't pay for. You are betting (paying) that if the worst happens someone else will pay to cover what you can not. Anybody that travels should buy a plan. When I surf in indo. I always had $100.00 us dollar in my trunks, If I got hurt just so I could make sure all the medical supply's were being used for the first time. People need to understand the risks of what they do.

Feel free to pop up some popcorn.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 08:50 AM

In order to get our permits for sport fishing we HAVE to have insurance. I am surprised zip lining doesnt have coverage...even in mexico.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 09:14 AM

I'm sure not only are they insured, but participants sign waver forms like most of the Gravity Sports pro world does here too. Then you have to deal not only with the insurance companies as well, but the Abogado/Judicial system as well. The vast majority of attorneys in the U.S. work for or with insurance companies, either on one side of the desk or the other. The company's primary responsibility is to make money, not spend it. To pay out as little as possible, and discredit as much as possible. Now take into account the Mexican Justice System (potential oxymarooon?). These folks got a hard row to hoe for sure; they would here too, if travelled abroad to get here. Their problems are acute, and the system is not. I do wish them well.

And, either donate, or don't. I hope to Andy Murphy (god's real name) nobody asks for a penny-by-penny accounting for where their $5 went.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 09:17 AM

WOW, all of the above. Once again the fact, no money or insurance no advanced care.
Hope he recovers.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
In order to get our permits for sport fishing we HAVE to have insurance. I am surprised zip lining doesnt have coverage...even in mexico.

Naturally... Specially in an industry catering to tourists. Be responsible for offering a fun and safe adventure.

Anything near Cabo, catering to tourists, and want good publicity, needs to do all they can to help.

Does anyone know why this happened to this person, and not anyone before him (or has it)?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 09:28 AM

Sheri, you are guys are are legitimate. If I go horse back and land on my head I don't expect ins. same for bunge jumping or being pulled around from a boat with a anything, (Big yellow thing or a Parasail).

My point is nobody cares more about you, then you and yours, get your own insurance.Don't expect others to pull you out of the fire. Many people here are willing to help (you go above and beyond) but you should take care of yourself.

These people are trying to raise a 100k, the cost of travelers ins is pretty cheap now.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 09:48 AM

DK said, "Does anyone know why this happened to this person, and not anyone before him (or has it)?"

i'd say the poor bastard was just lucky!

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by shari

Naturally... Specially in an industry catering to tourists. Be responsible for offering a fun and safe adventure.

Anything near Cabo, catering to tourists, and want good publicity, needs to do all they can to help.

Does anyone know why this happened to this person, and not anyone before him (or has it)?

As it was described, it sounds like an equipment failure. As I said, my son says he has never seen a zip line in Mexico that was well built and maintained. With that said, it is not all that different in the US.

First of all, the main job of insurance companies is to find a reason not to pay the victim and many times it goes to litigation. Ken is called often from all over the US to be a expert witness and then the case usually is settled out of court, but it takes YEARS for this to happen.

There are no national accepted standards and regulations in the US or anywhere else for building challenge courses including zip lines. Ken, along with several other builders wrote a set of standards for one of their organizations but there is nothing binding about them. The big corporate builders don't want them because any safety regulation costs them more money nor do the fly by night builders, so they ignore them. A lot of unsafe structures are out there.

Ken and others have spent a lot of time rebuilding the work of others. A small example, to save money, one city in Montana paid a corporate builder less money to build a suspension bridge for a challenge course and after the first wind when it turned upside down, Ken was hired to tear it down and build a new one. It happens all the time for him and the other reputable builders.

And all of these things really need yearly inspections and repair, and to save money, some places just put it off until the equipment is really unsafe.

I write all of this just so others will be aware that even if you are the US, you really are participating in this activity at your own risk and you may, or may not get insurance to cover your expenses and it may take years. And in Mexico, I would not want to see any of my friends or family ride any of their zip lines. Or if you do, just be aware that they are not built up to any real safety standards and may or may not be safe.

BTW--- recently, California did pass regulations for the building and inspection of zip lines --- but that is only for California
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 10:44 AM

I didn't read the article above since the story was in the local paper. The local paper said it happened due to a gust of wind blowing him sideways into the cliff. The others that went before him didn't experience the wind gust.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I didn't read the article above since the story was in the local paper. The local paper said it happened due to a gust of wind blowing him sideways into the cliff. The others that went before him didn't experience the wind gust.

Thanks Tom, that helps clear up if it was equipment failure vs. operations vs. customer caused.

Sounds like operations, unless the wind was calm when they let him begin the ride? If calm, then it seems to become an 'Act of God' and unavoidable.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW

They should be built to withstand a wind gust and not turn sideways. Seriously, there needs to be a large margin of error on the zip path to compensate for wind gusts.

Of course they are going to try to blame it strictly on mother nature --- that is what the insurance company and operator want. But things like wind is a safety consideration when these things are built --- if they are built safely.

I do hope he fully recovers. And it is not his fault as I am sure he thought it was perfectly safe being in a resort area. I used to think the same thing. It really is a major user beware.

[Edited on 7-26-2014 by DianaT]
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Quote:
Originally posted by TW

They should be built to withstand a wind gust and not turn sideways. Seriously, there needs to be a large margin of error on the zip path to be compensate for wind gusts.

Of course they are going to try to blame it strictly on mother nature --- that is what the insurance company and operator want. But things like wind is a safety consideration when these things are built --- if they are built safely.

I do hope he fully recovers. And it is not his fault as I am sure he thought it was perfectly safe being in a resort area. I used to think the same thing. It really is a major user beware.

absolutely, doesn't matter if you're zip lining, para-sailing, in a glass bottom boat or upstairs at Amnesia, you gotta weigh the risks!
tragic, hope he can recover.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy

absolutely, doesn't matter if you're zip lining, para-sailing, in a glass bottom boat or upstairs at Amnesia, you gotta weigh the risks!
tragic, hope he can recover.

And the risks are greater on poorly designed and built equipment. But for some, it is still worth the risk and that is their choice. It is good just to be aware of increased risks, if one cares to learn about something.

On edit --- just one thing one might want to check is the margin of error along the path -- there should be as LEAST a 12 foot clear path on either side and more for the longer zips.

chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 06:03 PM

Thats funny! Just like ole times with para failing in cabo:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 7-27-2014 at 06:57 AM

Can one slow down or stop ... while traversing from the "high' point to the low point .. looked up how one "stops" ... zip line braking

I had not even heard of this type of ...... entertainment

That he is alive, after smacking into the rock face of mountain at 40 mph ... is something in its self ...

Hope he is able to fully recover ...

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.