BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: LA BAY fish camp report?
steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2014 at 10:32 PM
LA BAY fish camp report?

MY family has got 6 days and are looking for some beach camping (with some space between patrons or primitive campaing) and good fishing we can do our of our inflatable boat. How is LA bay looking for YT or some DODOS?

If the fishing is any good I will b looking for a good spot to camp too.

Usually we have more time and camp at Putna chivato.

steve
Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 07:06 AM

July/August in BOLA HOT HOT HOT I did that once and the wife said never again
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 08:05 AM

La Gringa at the far north end of the bay is great for beach boat launching, open camping (no facilities) and both sand and gravel beaches. There are also spots on the outside of the bay, across from Smith Island. Here are some photos:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

exclamation.gif posted on 7-26-2014 at 08:57 AM

We like Archlon when in town. Camping is getting harder to find in BoLA.There will not be many folks in town. I would also consider Bahia las Animas for camping too. Check Bloody decks and the Bay of LA board for fish reports.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 09:13 AM
A few photos taken at water's edge...

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
We like Archlon when in town. Camping is getting harder to find in BoLA.There will not be many folks in town. I would also consider Bahia las Animas for camping too. Check Bloody decks and the Bay of LA board for fish reports.

Bahía las Animas...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 11:02 AM

Bahia Asuncion is about the same driving time as Punta Chivato. There are many places to camp either North or South. Getting a beach launch would be questionable this time of year but some coves may be okay. Fishing from rocks or the beach this time of year can be flat out fantastic with corBina and halibut both being in the surf. San Roque comes to mind 1st for boat launch and surf fishing. There are so many coves to fish over there you'd really enjoy it. And you wouldn't have to but up with the heat but bring warm clothes.
edit: Campo Renee is worth a glance too

[Edited on 7-26-2014 by Russ]

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2014 at 11:16 PM

What I did not say is that this year I would like a shorter drive than PC since we only have 6 days. I see that people are saying that BOLA is HOT. Is it hotter than Punta Chivato, if everything else is equal? We can take the heat of PC this time of year, so maybe we would be OK.

I was thinking of asuncion too but I want a shorter drive.

steve
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-27-2014 at 03:57 AM

BOLA is hotter, in my experience. Too hot for tent camping, IMO.

If you are unfortunate enough to have the strong winds coming off the desert, you can see days around 110 and nights around 90-95. During those periods it is less humid than Chivato, but it is still brutal.

It's getting to be the time of year when it's really nice along the Pacific side. Why not consider beach camping north of Santa Rosalillita? About the same distance as BOLA. Others more familiar with the area might know if a beach launch is possible. How big is your inflatable?

Or, bring yaks and fish off the yaks and shore.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-27-2014 at 06:44 AM

it isn't an issue to launch since the waves are flat this time of year. clams are plentiful for shore fishing. YT are around....

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-27-2014 at 06:59 AM

YOu could camp on the beach at Sta.Rosalillita which is closer than Asuncion by 4 hour, is nice and cool and a sweet little village. But take your own food as there is only a couple small stores for staples. Not much swell right now so you could launch a boat probably by watching the locals launch their pangas. Ask for Martin Arce...my husbands cousin and he will dial you in!
Let us know how you did!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2014 at 08:58 AM

It looks like I am getting some good advice here, thanks!
Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2014 at 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
it isn't an issue to launch since the waves are flat this time of year. clams are plentiful for shore fishing. YT are around....

Looks like TS Hernan could have something to say about that. :yes:
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2014 at 02:46 PM

the HOOK of the peninsula keeps it flat in summer. wind is another story.....

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 7-27-2014 at 03:48 PM

Another idea is Punta Morro Santa Domingo a little father south on the pacific side. There is a launch site use by the locals and a lagoon that runs south for miles. It can get shallow at low tide. Read The Baja Catch for more info. The camping is on or just above the sand and the water stays swallow for a long ways out. This is a yak fishman's heaven we love camping there this time of year. There will not be many others around.

Millers landing is another place that is cool this time of year. Both of these places most drive by and don't know they are missing.
I thought you were set on Bay of LA, I would go to the pacific side and go for the butts a YT just off shore this time of year.
I sure someone will post a map.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2014 at 04:09 PM
NO MAPS NEEDED.....

this one's for Rob (baitcast) wherever he is!

oh jes, another jello!

name that hat!

you'll have a GREAT time and it'll be empty.......

[Edited on 7-27-2014 by woody with a view]

Hook
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2014 at 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
the HOOK of the peninsula keeps it flat in summer. wind is another story.....

Now, you've done it. Hurricane David will be along, shortly, to chastise you for an image beyond the means of Nomads to display correctly!:lol:

Looks like The Hook could be bypassed......
steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2014 at 07:59 PM

What about Punta Baja? Maybe take our surfboards and leave the boat. fish from shore and surf. Any good camping there? I read that it can be windy. I wonder if the surf is any good this time of year.

2 August is when we are going.

steve
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 12:27 AM

Hot! is so true this time of year at L.A. Bay but that is when the Dorado are around. La Gringa as DK said is a very primitive yet very accessible and easily launched spot...but unless the surface YT are around or Dorado you won't really catch much to garner any excitement. but you could do both...if La Gringa isn't working out take the relatively short drive to Santa Rosalillita and see what is shaking there? Las Animas is amazing as to what you are looking for but you are adding a few hours of driving and last year the road to the turn off was pretty beat up...not 4X4 per se, but you kind of wish you had it. If you are set up for primitive camping and you have a few extra hours, I would go for Las Animas...it is beautiful, isolated, and the fishing can be excellent...bring the deet and water proof your camp at night from the coyotes (the real ones that is).
steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 07:38 AM

Yes we are set up for remote camping and I have 4WD. However, we are HEAVY. Trailer, Boat, gas, water, buggy, food, freezer, etc.. See pictures below of last year at PC. In deep beach sand we get stuck with the slightest turn or up hill.

Las Animas looks perfect, although I read in my Baja Catch that there gets to be long stretches of really soft sand.

steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 07:40 AM

I could always go to LA bay - then with the buggy scope out Las animas. Although once we unload all of that crap we are generally not enthused about moving. :lol:
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.