BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: LA BAY fish camp report?
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 08:45 AM

SHEEE-ITT! Youse guys are still Young Bucks and loaded for bear! WHAT HEAT?? You'll survive, whatever you choose.

Just remember, anywhere on the east side it's going to be hotter than I think you realize; but, you can spend most of your time just bobbing in the water. Biggest challenge will be to find and keep ice. Most towns don't 'close-up' entirely, but stores cut back their hours with long siestas in the afternoons because of the misery and lack of business. Nobody 'moves' in the afternoons. Pacific side will be cooler, but bigger surf to deal with launching your Zodiac. Keep your manual bilge pump handy.

If you DO get sand-stuck, be sure to have a small compressor for tires; STOP as soon as you start to bottom out, let air down to 10 PSI before even attempting to move. Stay in 2WD until problems, use 4x4 to get out. You have your buggy to help. And, you're YOUNG, ya Goll-Darn young Whippersnappers! Wherever you go, have fun, and rip a few lips for me. Keep smilin', send money... er, pics.
bb :bounce:

Oh, and take 3 - 4 cans of cheap orange-lid OFF.... EACH. ;D

[Edited on 7-28-2014 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 08:58 AM

Haha, Yes those are young guys. My son and his friend. I am the old dude shown with my son building a patio cover below.

bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 09:32 AM

Make 'em set camp, you're in charge of cooler management.

86 - 45*

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 12:00 PM

BOLA in August has to be experienced to understand it. Sweat pouring out of you at all hours of the day. Hard to breath. No escape except for air conditioned motel.

Even the Mexicans stop moving after 10am. It think you can acclimate yourself to it after a certain amount of time. But when you first get there it hits you bad.

When I was younger we would go on those Tony Reyes trips in July to the midriff islands. As long as panga kept moving it was bearable. Forget yoyoing for yellowtail in mid day. If you got the top bunk bed there was a faint breeze you could feel. In the mornings all the decks were soaking wet from the condensation a few hours earlier.

P.S. DK once posted that he slept there with a warm blanket in the summer. hah.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 12:39 PM

i'll bet that blanket was warm.....

Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 12:44 PM

I can remember the days of dragging a hotel behind me. Now a cool hotel room looks a lot better. Age makes one wise! :-)
Do you keep a couple of 6X2 ft chain link fence fabric pieces with you?
Jack the wheel up, fill the hole and lay down the fence fabric and just drive away.
Nothing could be easier.
BTW, you do have a high lift jack, correct?
Went beach riding with a good friend at BOLA 30 yrs ago and he got stuck way down at the south end. I said, "lets get your jack out and fill the hole", his response was, "what jack?" I walked back to BOLA to get a jeep to pull us out in AUGUST! OH, and the tide came in and buried his VW to boot while he waited for me.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 01:52 PM

Not me... no blanket needed. July is nice but August is humid and hot.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 02:23 PM

I'm heading down there on Friday. Hoping there is a breeze.
steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 02:40 PM

I like your idea of the chain link fence, thanks. I DO have a hi lift jack, my issue is finding a spot to take the shoe of the jack on my rig. I do not see any good spots along the side of my F350. I can use my 2" recovers front and back.

I also have a winch. The winch works great if I can find something to winch against.

I am kind of leaning towards BOLA and hoping for the best. If someone had recent experience with towing a trailer into Las Animas then I would consider that too.

steve

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffy
I can remember the days of dragging a hotel behind me. Now a cool hotel room looks a lot better. Age makes one wise! :-)
Jack the wheel up, fill the hole and lay down the fence fabric and just drive away.
Nothing could be easier.
Went beach riding with a good friend at BOLA 30 yrs ago and he got stuck way down at the south end. I said, "lets get your jack out and fill the hole", his response was, "what jack?" I walked back to BOLA to get a jeep to pull us out in AUGUST! OH, and the tide came in and buried his VW to boot while he waited for me.
steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 02:42 PM

If you get a chance and you get on line I would like to hear how things are going WRT fishing and camping. No pressure.

steve

Quote:
Originally posted by steve5555
I like your idea of the chain link fence, thanks. I DO have a hi lift jack, my issue is finding a spot to take the shoe of the jack on my rig. I do not see any good spots along the side of my F350. I can use my 2" recovers front and back.

I also have a winch. The winch works great if I can find something to winch against.

I am kind of leaning towards BOLA and hoping for the best. If someone had recent experience with towing a trailer into Las Animas then I would consider that too.

steve

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffy
Nothing could be easier.
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2014 at 12:11 AM

Quote:
MY family has got 6 days and are looking for some beach camping (with some space between patrons or primitive campaing) and good fishing we can do our of our inflatable boat. How is LA bay looking for YT or some DODOS?

If the fishing is any good I will b looking for a good spot to camp too.

Usually we have more time and camp at Putna chivato.

steve

Btw, where are you starting from? You could always drive to L.A. Bay and get a hotel the first night and then see what is shakin. Though as mentioned, some of us old farts would have trouble leaving the a/c behind! Camp and take day trips and we often will do both and go out with Igor for one day of high powered fishing. Check Bloody Decks as to whether the Dorado are in town.
steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2014 at 06:02 AM

I will be leaving from beautiful downtown Jamul. haha. It is in San Diego county.

I could not find a link to the BD fish report. I saw some general fishing reports but nothing specific.

steve

Quote:
Originally posted by redhilltown
Quote:
MY family has got 6 days and are looking for some beach camping (with some space between patrons or primitive campaing) and good fishing we can do our of our inflatable boat. How is LA bay looking for YT or some DODOS?

If the fishing is any good I will b looking for a good spot to camp too.

Usually we have more time and camp at Putna chivato.

steve

Btw, where are you starting from? You could always drive to L.A. Bay and get a hotel the first night and then see what is shakin. Though as mentioned, some of us old farts would have trouble leaving the a/c behind! Camp and take day trips and we often will do both and go out with Igor for one day of high powered fishing. Check Bloody Decks as to whether the Dorado are in town.
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2014 at 06:30 AM

heres my 2 cents worth .go out to enrendira and turn north. get to almaja or punta cabras and have a great time. great area and stays cool, fun fishing and surfing. only problem can be local thiefs so lock up everything when you leave your camp. I personally have never had a problem.
steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2014 at 06:49 AM

Thanks for this info. Punta Cabras is a good idea but we go there all the time. Probably every 6 weeks we are cruising by that surf spot one way or another. So, given that we have 6 days we want to do something different. I have never had any trouble at Punta cabras either.

Quote:
Originally posted by 4baja
heres my 2 cents worth .go out to enrendira and turn north. get to almaja or punta cabras and have a great time. great area and stays cool, fun fishing and surfing. only problem can be local thiefs so lock up everything when you leave your camp. I personally have never had a problem.
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 7-29-2014 at 06:59 AM

Jeezo, a whole SIX days to vacation in Baja? It takes me that long just to drive down to my spot and back here again in New Mexico. How's the real estate market in Jamul right now??
:yes: :coolup:

86 - 45*

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2014 at 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view

LOL
steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2014 at 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman
Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view

LOL

I know that 6 days is pitifully short. But it is what it is, trying to fit it in around everything. :yes:

Real estate in San Diego has been on an upswing for the last two years but has now flattened out. Jamul is rural-ish and mimics its own (lower) curve than many other SD neighborhoods. I really like it here. Close to SD, close to Mexico, and lower price than other places in SD for a piece of property. steve
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2014 at 05:55 PM

hey steve, I'd rather be young and taking 6 day vacations than being old and being down here everyday, any day! :lol: and yeah, jamul looks like a pretty cool place to call home!
steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2014 at 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
hey steve, I'd rather be young and taking 6 day vacations than being old and being down here everyday, any day! :lol: and yeah, jamul looks like a pretty cool place to call home!

Haha that is a good one. Funny that it is almost a sliding scale between youth and time off. You get to be 90 and you have all the time in the world and no commitments!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2014 at 11:40 PM

Then we agree that:

It's better to be young in 90 degree temperatures than to be 90 in pleasant weather.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.