BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: LA BAY fish camp report?
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Then we agree that:

It's better to be young in 90 degree temperatures than to be 90 in pleasant weather.

Depends on the fishin :spingrin::spingrin:
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 8-2-2014 at 07:55 AM

on having a winch ,but nothing to hook to, bury your spare tire in the sand and hook to it
steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2014 at 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jimgrms
on having a winch ,but nothing to hook to, bury your spare tire in the sand and hook to it

haha, yes that is a good idea. Easier said than done, but it can be done. What I need is a good friend that will let me borrow, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wPCF9LePdU

:biggrin:
steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2014 at 10:00 PM

Hey, thanks to everyone for their input. We ended up going to La Gringa and staying there. It was PERFECT! The nights were warm to cool; the breezes were light; we had good space between our camp sites; we made some new friends; we swam with the whale sharks; we fished every day; we did a good amount of exploring by buggy.

WRT the fishing. It was actually pretty good. We had most of our success at the north half of Smith Island on the inside. Every day there were multiple boils of skipjack with dorado to 12-14 pounds underneath. A moderate amount of birds working. We got tired of the skippies but could catch 3-4 dorado each day in 2-2.5 hours of early morning fishing. We did not need bait we had plenty of action on feathers. The other cool thing was right off of the la gringa beach we would get some 4pm action of crevalle jack in the 20+ pound range which were a ton of fun to catch. The water was 84F off of smith island and the colors that worked best for us were black/green and black /purple. We actually caught fish on about any color. The entire week we had no storms- the winds were mostly light but also to as much as 12knots.

We were charged 200pesos per night to camp but they threw in a single 55gallon drum of fresh shower water and picked up our garbage every day. It seemed high but - we paid and we had a great time.

I tried to take the buggy down to las animas to check it out. It was really hot out in the desert the mid-day we tried to go. We got almost to the turn off and my buggy started to act up. I was at 3/4 throttle on a long gradual uphill- tried to give it more gas and it would lose rpm and power. Idle fine but not want to accelerate or even hold speed in some situations. I did not know if the buggy as getting ready to break or if it was just bulking at the load and heat we were putting to it. It felt like a blast furnace to the face as we drove. Anyway, as much as I wanted to explore the turn off I did not want to go forward with a funky situation on the buggy. We turned around- the symptoms got less and less and the buggy was fine by the time I got back to town. Go figure. Next trip.

So, thanks again for the advice. You all are a wonderful resource to the rest of us occasional baja travelers.

steve
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2014 at 12:32 AM

Great report and thanks for checking back in! Sounds like you had a blast. Good job.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-11-2014 at 12:39 AM

200 pesos a day??? HIJO LA CHING-GADA!! :O :wow:

[Edited on 8-11-2014 by bajabuddha]

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 8-11-2014 at 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jimgrms

Down south we always carried a 15lb. boat drag Anchor works well when there is nothing to tie to and they dont take up that much room. I always left mine hanging on the front bumper.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-11-2014 at 08:49 AM

Did you go to the El Toro copper mine? It's about 7 miles north and west from La Gringa. The copper ore was shipped out at La Gringa... it was piled just north of the beach.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2014 at 11:07 AM

I'm glad you had a good trip. We ran into another group with a large trailer in town, went and said hello thinking it might have been you. They were on their way to PSF with their heavy load. It sounds like La Gringa worked out perfectly for you.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2014 at 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Did you go to the El Toro copper mine? It's about 7 miles north and west from La Gringa. The copper ore was shipped out at La Gringa... it was piled just north of the beach.

Yes we did although I did not know what they were mining. It was surprising to me that the road was still in such good shape. At least good shape for our polaris ranger. We met a couple kids that were telling us a rumor that someone was going to re- open a gold mine in BOLA.

steve
steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2014 at 09:28 PM
Warning fish being caught picture

[Edited on 8-13-2014 by BajaNomad]
steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2014 at 09:30 PM

High tide. haha close one.

steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2014 at 09:33 PM

steve5555
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-11-2014 at 09:35 PM

early morning

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 8-11-2014 at 11:23 PM

Wow, that was a close one. Great pictures. Glad it wasn't too hot. I will be headed that way in 5 weeks, hope to find the fish.
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 12:24 AM

I see the Easy Up lying there still in its case while your own canopy seems to be working quite nicely!!!! Sounds like a great trip.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 10:25 AM

Great photos, thank you for sharing them!

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 05:58 PM

Nice, but BIG photos for Nomad... The gold mine is on the back side of Mike's Mountain, off the San Borja road (or one of them anyway).

edit: Thanks to BajaNomad for resizing them to fit on the page.

The first post in the Nomad Photo Gallery Forum has the easy how to size the pics to fit without stretching the whole page off the screen.

[Edited on 8-13-2014 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 07:06 PM

Nice fish!!! I glad you had a good time. I would not want to pull that rig into Animas, you would get stuck.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2014 at 07:50 PM

Great photos! Nice fish from the beach!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.