Author: Subject: Need info on visa and ferry in La Paz
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
You cannot get a Visa in GN anymore?
He will get his permit in La Paz

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think so. The only place is at a port of entry, which in Baja means Tijuana, Tecate, Mexicali, Algodones, Ensenada and the Cabo airport.

[Edited on 7-29-2014 by dasubergeek]
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 09:30 PM

I was on my boat in LaPaz in 91 and my 180 day card timed out. I went out to the airport when a plane was due and wandered in into the arrival line after customs and got a new one.

I suspect things have tightened up since then.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2014 at 04:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd

Just perhaps if he had not gone to the office in Santa Rosalia, all would be good.

I don't understand what you mean!

Because a trip within Mexico should not require checking of documents.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 07:06 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just perhaps if he had not gone to the office in Santa Rosalia, all would be good.

He went to the office in Santa Rosalia to try to get a visa.
BTW. He did have to show the visa that he got in San Lucas when he applied for his car permit in La Paz to enter the mainland.

dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 07:38 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Their country, their rules. They have a tourist zone where they don't require as much documentation, and when you leave that zone to go to the rest of Mexico, you have to buy your visa. It's not any different than dozen of other countries who don't waive visa requirements for U.S. citizens.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 04:51 PM

Still have to point to the EU. One may cross a dozen nations from Britain to Greece with only a drivers license.
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 05:53 PM

You should see what I have to go through when I travel by personal boat! In every port, customs, immigration and port captain. And then the reverse when I leave.

What's more, when a person from any other country, including Canada, enters and leaves a U.S. port, it is even worse.

Ham licenses too. It blows a big hunk out of $200usd to get a 6 month reciprocal license in Mexico. When a Mexican ham wants to operate in the U.S. there is no paperwork and no fee. Just use his Mexican call sign and identify where he is. So much for treaties. This has not changed in 30 years. "We are implementing the reciprocal treaty." Right.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dasubergeek
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Their country, their rules. They have a tourist zone where they don't require as much documentation, and when you leave that zone to go to the rest of Mexico, you have to buy your visa. It's not any different than dozen of other countries who don't waive visa requirements for U.S. citizens.

You miss the point that the process although stated is not clearly followed. It's not obvious how to get tourist permit when crossing, and if you ask, they often reply you don't need one, because most don't. The guy can be asleep or closed when you pass. If you do pass TJ then what, no problem if you arrive by boat even though there is no proof, but if arrive by car then its a fine at best or refusal if yo go to any other port of entry. Then they don't even ask for the tourist permit when the traveller goes to t the ferry, but they may sometime later.

So, don't make excuses like their country their rules. Anyone with their heart in mexico is part of the process, they deserve to be treated fairly and honestly, that is their right. And don't make comparison to the USA when if you don't have a visa and you enter, then you could be arrested then immediately released and given benefits and a ride t your friends and relatives. There is no comparison required.

At least in this case the traveller was able to resolve the issues, oftentimes they can't and are told the only option is to return to the border and come back which is not the truth.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.