Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: RV dry camping in San Quintin area
bayrunner1

[*] posted on 7-27-2014 at 01:29 PM
RV dry camping in San Quintin area

Planning a week in/around San Quintin. We are set up for dry camping and was wondering if anyone has had recent experience at Cielito Lindo, Fidels or any other campgrounds, Thank you for your responses,
Meany
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2014 at 03:20 PM

Try the camp grounds next to Jardines. Looks great. Not but Cielito Lindos might be closed. When by last week and the gate was closed????
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-27-2014 at 03:33 PM

El Pabellon south of San Quintin is a good beach camp, either north end or Fidel's, which is south end. North end has better wind-block hedgerows to tuck in behind, and electric IF you want it. Fidel is a hoot, and maybe a little cheaper. I use it both for first night going south if I can't make it up the hill to Cataviņa before dark, and I stay there last night coming north, good early-up and run for the border.

Regardless of where you camp near San Quintin, secure your gear. Not a good place to leave camping stuff laying around after dark; coyotes abound.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2014 at 04:06 PM

A week around San Quintin is too long.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2014 at 05:04 PM

The place next to Jardines is quite nice.

Just wondering what the itinerary is because if it is to go out among the craters, Pabellon is way to South.
liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2014 at 05:34 PM

There is also a great Restaurant, Walking there is very easy! Jardines, Lunch and dinner only, And closed on Monday. Have a great time :bounce:
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2014 at 07:30 PM

We had small stuff ripped off at El Pabellon at night
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-27-2014 at 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
We had small stuff ripped off at El Pabellon at night

my point exactly; San Quintin is well-known for 'coyotes' in the night. All the beaches, all the camps, unless walled and contained w/ security. It's a tough fishing town, and some resent the 'rico gringos'. Sad, but true. The tourista is not their first line of income.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2014 at 07:45 PM

If you must camp in San Quintin, make sure it is secure... Not too many years ago a camper was bludgeoned to death in his sleeping bag. Also not too long ago, a gringo and his wife was severely beaten at their own home. Place is known for violence and drugs.
coolhand
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2014 at 08:07 PM

sooooo many are on meth.... Baja is inundated with METH addicts. Not that the US isn't, but holy chit!!!!! Baja has a plague on their hands!~
Bob53
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 02:37 PM

I've camped at Fidel's plenty of times. Never had anything ripped off there and Fidel is pretty cool. Gypsy's camp, next to Cielito Lindo has been closed for many years.
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 03:54 PM

We like the outer bay and La Chorera area. Take the road out at the south end of the military base in san Quintin, several miles of wash board though but when you get out to the beaches their beautiful. Bring all your supplies there limited.
Have fun :cool:

[Edited on 7-30-2014 by BajaRat]
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by liknbaja127
There is also a great Restaurant, Walking there is very easy! Jardines, Lunch and dinner only, And closed on Monday. Have a great time :bounce:

The same folks operate a restaurant on Mex 1 a few miles North on the West side next to the hospital called Viejo San Quintin. They are open for breakfast and lunch. The breakfast menu has many items to die for.

Gotta be the best breakfast in town.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-29-2014 at 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Quote:
Originally posted by liknbaja127

The same folks operate a restaurant on Mex 1 a few miles North on the West side next to the hospital called Viejo San Quintin. They are open for breakfast and lunch. The breakfast menu has many items to die for.

Gotta be the best breakfast in town.

Nice info. Do you have a kilometer marker?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Lorenzo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2014 at 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bayrunner1
Planning a week in/around San Quintin. We are set up for dry camping and was wondering if anyone has had recent experience at Cielito Lindo, Fidels or any other campgrounds, Thank you for your responses,

Don Eddie's Landing has nice RV campsites, but I'm not sure what they charge. They are located next to the Old Mill Motel. Also, you may want to consider staying with us a Campo de Lorenzo. We are located near the Old Mill as well, but we only have full hook-ups @ $150 pesos per day. Our RV/Villa retirement community is totally secured with an electronic gate entrance. Visit campolorenzo.com
liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2014 at 06:51 PM

Don't think there is a maker near by, but the hospital is just south of the place,
going south, its is on the right, easy parking. and yes It is the same owners.
Great food there also!
liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2014 at 06:53 PM

Sorry they are also closed on Monday!
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 7-29-2014 at 06:56 PM

FYI, the campground next to Jardines is Los Olivos. Owned by same family as hotel.

They have a pool and charge $15 US/night. Nice grounds, security, hookups.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 7-29-2014 at 07:06 PM

There is a nice, peaceful and safe campground out here at La Chorera at Alvaro's place on the beach. It is very basic but usually the locals here will keep you stocked with clams, oysters and fresh fish. Don Alvaro and his family are good friends of mine and I highly recommend them...

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2014 at 07:06 PM

I seem to remember taking ecstasy and staying the night in a VW bus at Fidel's back in 1994. What a great trip. I have nothing more to add.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.