Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  11
Author: Subject: Mexico denies asylum to migrant children
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Recall that these are not Mexican kids. They are from Central American countries and had an arduous journey. !00 miles or more.

I totally believe them to be refugees.

All the so-called Christian bull crap aside, it really appears that the US has become so much less welcoming than when the statue of liberty was erected.

My money, what little is left, is because we have been gradually taken over by an oligarchy, who only looks for profits; not fairness.

These are friggin' children.

Yes, they are REFUGEES --- Having lived there, we know from what they are fleeing and the hand of the US is all over that mess down there.

I suspect that the oligarchy will soon attempt to privatize lady liberty and destroy more of what this country USED to stand for.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
I suspect that the oligarchy will soon attempt to privatize lady liberty and destroy more of what this country USED to stand for.

Times change as do circumstances. The Statue of Liberty is a relic of our history...not a forever IOU to the third world.

How many of these kids are you and Howard going to take home, Diana...or is that just for other people?

[Edited on 7-29-2014 by DENNIS]

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 05:40 PM

WHY ISN'T THIS STUPID-AZZED THREAD ON THE OT???

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 05:40 PM

Quote:

Yes, they are REFUGEES --- Having lived there, we know from what they are fleeing and the hand of the US is all over that mess down there.

Good point, our 150 years of meddling and propping up despotic regimes in Central America are directly responsible for much of the poverty and violence in the region. How convenient for us to just wash our hands of the problem now.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Times change as do circumstances. The Statue of Liberty is a relic of our history...not a forever IOU to the third world.

How many of these kids are you and Howard going to take home, Diana...or is that just for other people?

Sane type of things were said when the USA turned back the St. Louis and that sure ended well for those refugees, many of whom were children without their parents.

[Edited on 7-29-2014 by DianaT]
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd

All the so-called Christian bull crap aside, it really appears that the US has become so much less welcoming than when the statue of liberty was erected.

The USA on its current track can't "support through subsidies" its existing population. We used to be known as the land of the free,now its the land of free things.
Don't have food, housing or health care it's no longer a church problem, the elected officials decided its governments problem and they have a credit card bill that YOUR CHILDREN will be called on to pay.
Its not being insensitive its being unrealistic :no::no:
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaLuna
I find it really sad and very hypocritical that the Republicans, who most claim to be Christians, would send innocent children back into harm's way. I'm sorry but Christianity along with many other religions of helping those in need, go hand in hand or should! Where is the Christian humanity here! Open up your churches and let these children in. Feed them, clothe them, and find homes for them right here in the good ol USA!

Maybe they should be asking themselves, "what would Jesus do"!

These are not illegal immigrants, they are refugees, let's get that right and maybe the conversation will change!

I think the Gov. of Maryland, Martin O'Malley, has a good point, "it is contrary to everything we stand for to summarily send children back to death".

These are children for crying out loud, and yet now they are pawns in a Political game, it's so heartbreaking!
The Republican party was quite generous when it came to arming and training the repressive governments and rightwing death squads who put down any and all land reform movements in Central America that could have helped alleviate poverty.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 06:05 PM

Quote:

Sane type of things were said when the USA turned back the St. Louis and that sure ended well for those refugees, many of whom were children without their parents.

More ancient history...1939. You do live in a world without calendars, doncha.

redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 06:06 PM

If there were a list of people who would take care of these children would that help. I would take 2, no problem.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha

I think it's because DENNIS hasn't decided to put it there. Why would he, he started it.

[Edited on 7-29-2014 by SFandH]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by redmesa
If there were a list of people who would take care of these children would that help. I would take 2, no problem.

What's stopping you? Go get them.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
Quote:

I think it's because DENNIS hasn't decided to put it there.

Are you kiddin'? this thread is a freakin lullaby compared to some of the other barf flying around here.
Hey...don't bother me now. I'm making a list of new mommies and daddies for the pobrecitos......and their extended families that will be coming over soon.

1...Redmesa
2...DianaT
3..Howard
OK....who's next?

redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 06:19 PM

A good list to be on. Thank you.
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 06:31 PM

Exactly Bajahowodd, "These are friggin children".

I don't see these kids as "those" kids, I don't see them as Central American kids, I simply see these children as children.

danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 06:33 PM

UH OH. What's next DENNIS? Animated .gif's?

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

Are you kiddin'? this thread is a freakin lullaby compared to some of the other barf flying around here.
Hey...don't bother me now. I'm making a list of new mommies and daddies for the pobrecitos......and their extended families that will be coming over soon.

1...Redmesa
2...DianaT
3..Howard
OK....who's next?

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SFandH
Quote:

I think it's because DENNIS hasn't decided to put it there. Why would he, he started it.

[Edited on 7-29-2014 by SFandH]

Why? Because this thread isn't stupid. It's current events, and happening now.

''Psychological parameters to understand and manage the NIMBY effect''

''This phenomenon, which to a certain extent can be considered normal, is related to social perception of risk, to the complex process of attribution of causes, and to perceived inequity. It addresses the issue of life quality in terms of the potential alteration of people's well-being that generates self-defence behavior.''

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1162908805...

I think thousands of kids crossing the US border might represent the straw breaking the camel's back. Kids today, adults and everyone else for how many years? Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama -- NONE of them doing a positive thing to stop the flow of migrants. Now we should take kids in because they're kids?

I don't have a dog in this fight. It doesn't matter a wit to me what the solution is -- as long as the US government is involved and the tax paying public goes along with it.

Open the gates and no borders or else send them all back. Take care of the kids and adults at home who are at poverty level and hungry FIRST. And then feed the world.

And I'm curious: what WOULD Jesus do here?

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by danaeb
UH OH. What's next DENNIS? Animated .gif's?

ohhh yeh....I'm gonna have everybody on the list squirming around nekid in a big greasy pile.

Want on...or...in? We have a few places still open.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee

And I'm curious: what WOULD Jesus do here?

He'd probably try to address the cause of the problem instead of pasting bandages all over it.
During this crisis, I've yet to hear anything like this.
If the problem isn't solved, the hoards will continue to come, and people here who think this is a sustainable situation have their heads planted in a deep, dark and smelly place.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 07:02 PM

By the way...let me drop another reminder:
The article at the start of this thread is about Mexico...not the USA.
Now...can we get back on point?
Probably doubtful. :lol:

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 07:06 PM

which point?

:lol:

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  11

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.