BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Bond for mainland ferry question..details from our friend added
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 04:20 PM
Bond for mainland ferry question..details from our friend added

Does anyone know if you have to come back through La Paz to get the bond refunded if issued there?
My friend wants to go back through Tecate.

[Edited on 7-29-2014 by bajajudy]

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajajudy
Does anyone know if you have to come back through La Paz to get the bond refunded if issued there?
My friend wants to go back through Tecate.

Been a few years, but we turned our sticker and paperwork in at the Santa Rosalia terminal. When we came back from Topolobampo the ferry office in La Paz was closed.

[Edited on 7-28-2014 by vandenberg]

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 04:51 PM

Last ime I had to get the refund in TJ , La Paz and Tecate did not have the facilities to refund TIP deposits...Email Senior Fernandez who speaks english and works for Banjercito and can give up to date refund locations......

efernandez@banjercito.com.mx

I hear the whales song
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 05:31 PM

Good info, grouper
Thanks

dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2014 at 09:10 PM

If he is driving from Mazatlán to the border, tell him to take Hwy 15. 17 km southeast of Empalme is an INM station (10 km east of the south end of the toll portion). He'll need to turn left to get into it and they'll refund his bond there. Tell him to leave the sticker on and let the agent scrape it off. Fun fact: as you head SOUTH on Hwy 15, there's a sign right before that says "End Hassle-Free Vehicle Zone". Makes me laugh! :lol:

[Edited on 7-29-2014 by dasubergeek]
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2014 at 11:04 AM

Just got this from our friend:

They did ask for my visa card at the vehicle permit section
The cost of the bond is based on the year of the vehicle Vmine was $300 plus $59 processing fee.
You don't have to come back thru the same border to claim the bond back specially like this one because you have to be immediately leaving the country in order to cancel the permit & la paz is nowhere near a border. The Banjecitto offices are about 20 kilometers before reaching the borders & one has to stop there & cancel the permit in order for them to reimburse your credit card. You can pay in cash in US $ & they will reimburse you in the same way at the border it'll save you a few bucks in exchange fees. The exchange rate they charged me was 13.31 which is so high but the lady was so nice I didn't care one bit.

unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 04:35 PM

Do I understand correctly - there is no Banjercito in La Paz or Pichelingue ferry terminal?

So if I take the ferry from Topolobampa to La Paz - and plan to exit Baja months later at TJ or Tecate, there's no way to obtain a refund upon arrival in Baja of the vehicle import deposit I paid on the mainland? Please tell me it ain't so!

"I'm too young to be this old!"
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 05:22 PM

its so, you cannot get a refund in La Paz, or in any city except a border city. Period.

Quote:
Originally posted by unbob
Do I understand correctly - there is no Banjercito in La Paz or Pichelingue ferry terminal?

So if I take the ferry from Topolobampa to La Paz - and plan to exit Baja months later at TJ or Tecate, there's no way to obtain a refund upon arrival in Baja of the vehicle import deposit I paid on the mainland? Please tell me it ain't so!

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 05:52 PM

Quote:

There is a Banjercito at the ferry terminal in La Paz.
Only for issuance of the permit and not a refund.

As another said.....you have to get the refund at the San Ysidro border as you exit MX

unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2014 at 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaliDali

As another said.....you have to get the refund at the San Ysidro border as you exit MX
No refund available at Tecate?

DaliDali
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2014 at 04:37 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by DaliDali

No refund available at Tecate?

Nix

bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 10-24-2014 at 07:30 AM

You won't be near the border anytime prior to taking the ferry?
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2014 at 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalearner
Upon arriving in La Paz, I will not exit Mexico until 5 months later at Tecate.

Conclusion: If I take the ferry from the mainland to La Paz and then exit Mexico at Tecate I will not be able to obtain a refund of my vehicle import deposit. That would be at least $300usd down the toilet. That does not work for me.

BeemerDan
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2014 at 10:44 AM

Quote:
Conclusion: If I take the ferry from the mainland to La Paz and then exit Mexico at Tecate I will not be able to obtain a refund of my vehicle import deposit. That would be at least $300usd down the toilet. That does not work for me.

If you are under the 6 month limit on the tvip you can get the refund when you exit Mexico, but also note even if you surrender the deposit you also won't be allowed to import (tvip) another vehicle into Mexico.
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2014 at 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BeemerDanIf you are under the 6 month limit on the tvip you can get the refund when you exit Mexico, but also note even if you surrender the deposit you also won't be allowed to import (tvip) another vehicle into Mexico.
I'm not "importing" a vehicle. I'm speaking of the temporary vehicle import permit required when driving a vehicle into Mexico on the mainland. My whole point here is that I'm screwed if I then take the ferry to Baja - I cannot get a refund if I exit Baja by driving across the border! Thus, taking the ferry does not work for me.

Ferry route to Baja only makes sense if you return the same way - taking the ferry back to mainland Mexico and then driving back to USA. It's then possible to obtain a refund of the temporary vehicle import permit deposit.

[Edited on 10-24-2014 by unbob]

bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 10-24-2014 at 11:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Upon arriving in La Paz, I will not exit Mexico until 5 months later at Tecate.

I didn't make my question clear. You are not coming into MX at a border crossing prior to you going to La Paz? Or you are already in Baja south?
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2014 at 11:47 AM

Quote:
I didn't make my question clear. You are not coming into MX at a border crossing prior to you going to La Paz? Or you are already in Baja south?
I would be entering Mexico at Nogales.

rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2014 at 12:44 PM

[Edited on 10-24-2014 by rhintransit]

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 10-24-2014 at 12:46 PM

I gave the email address for Banercito above, ask your question there and you should have an answer the next day............Here it is again.......

efernandez@banjercito.com.mx

I hear the whales song
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 10-24-2014 at 01:39 PM

You can turn in your certificate and get the refund in TJ, it isn't that far from Tecate, fyi: it isn't at the border crossing but in the same neighborhood. Depending on where you are planning to go in the mainland, you could take the ferry from Guaymas to Santa Rosallia and skip the import certificate all together.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.