Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Mulege Diversion
Janzie
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2014 at 09:15 PM
Mulege Diversion

Is there anything new on the diversion project, has any more work been done, does anyone have thoughts about it`s effectiveness.
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2014 at 09:40 PM

I would be interested, too. From your topic I first thought you were going to post about some new exciting thing to do in mulege!
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 04:29 AM

Been discussed to death..try the search feature...

motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 10:02 AM

Update: They were moving dirt around west of town, but are leaving some cactus undisturbed. Nobody really knows what the plans are despite several rumours....some folks seem skeptical, while others are hopeful....

Don't believe everything you think....
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 10:58 AM

....count me as skeptical AND hopeful........it's more accurate to call the project the Mulege 'hold-backs' rather than 'diversion'...it's a verifiable fact that there's a huge area behind Mulege that has no possibility of drainage other than through Mulege.
...the best any efforts done on that area can accomplish is to hold-back flow,,with the hope of more water being absorbed into the ground up there...........the worst effect these efforts could have is that there's more water than the diversions/holdbacks can handle---in which case there's potentially a MUCH worse situation.....ie.. if there's a breach--get your friggen surfboard and get the H out of lower Mulege

.......I hope I'm wrong...I hope the 'diversion' work is effective and lasts forever....time will tell,,,but I'd never sleep well in in lower Mulege during a major rain event.

[Edited on 7-31-2014 by micah202]
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 09:25 PM

No summer down pours for a dress rehearsal yet?
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 10:11 PM

....question....how often is there a flooding event in lower Mulege?...every ~3rd year or so?
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 05:51 AM

The way the whole work area is torn up the ground will soak up rain very fast. Of course when it gets packed down the run off will be considerable and we'll see what the engineers have actually done for better or worse.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by micah202
....question....how often is there a flooding event in lower Mulege?...every ~3rd year or so?

My first time there was '95, and there hadn't been any major river flooding in years before, according to locals. The pics at the Laundromat were always a source of discussion, and they were pre-highway. I'm sure there were events in between, but none like Jimena.

Then came Sept. 2003 and Marty, and that was the first of I believe 5 major events in 7 years. So ya never know... it could be another seven years, or seven days. And, I concur with you Micah, the measures up-stream are to slow down the spate, no way will it be contained. Hopefully the damages will be lessened.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
Quote:
Originally posted by micah202

My first time there was '95, and there hadn't been any major river flooding in years before, according to locals. The pics at the Laundromat were always a source of discussion, and they were pre-highway. I'm sure there were events in between, but none like Jimena.

Then came Sept. 2003 and Marty, and that was the first of I believe 5 major events in 7 years. So ya never know... it could be another seven years, or seven days. And, I concur with you Micah, the measures up-stream are to slow down the spate, no way will it be contained. Hopefully the damages will be lessened.

I am amused that after many, many centuries of humans building homes and subsequently losing homes to floods, people still build in river flood plains,...
Mulege gets flooded every few years, and people continue to rebuild,...
Crikey!
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
I am amused that after many, many centuries of humans building homes and subsequently losing homes to floods, people still build in river flood plains,...
Mulege gets flooded every few years, and people continue to rebuild,...
Crikey!

.....yeh,,it's hard to say whether it's a testament to the indomitable human spirit.......or simple stupidity,,,and/or desire for 'waterfront':O:no:...

.....but doubtless there's a gringo-joke that's been going around Mulege as long as there's been gringo's:(:?:

......just be clear that if there's a breach of those 'hold-backs',,there is a possibility of a domino-effect that could create a -much- worse situation than has been seen............me's not try to doomsday here,,and me's not trying to pick-up cheap real estate,I feel like it would be irresponsible not to state this concern

[Edited on 7-31-2014 by micah202]
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 07:37 AM

My plan is, next time to Mulege i'm gonna buy 3 - 4 caguamas of Pacifico, hold it as long as I can, and take a drive up to the orchard, and test it out.....
:lol:

86 - 45*

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabuddha
My plan is, next time to Mulege i'm gonna buy 3 - 4 caguamas of Pacifico, hold it as long as I can, and take a drive up to the orchard, and test it out.....
:lol:

...could be a plan!....if you gather some friends,, regularly practice,,,yer all could hustle up there and -drink- the levels down!!.......lemme-know-how-THAT-works-out!!!

...at least you'd be up hill! ;)
Phil S
Super Nomad

Mood: After 34 years. Still in love w/ my wife

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 04:15 PM

I guess only people who have owned homes on a waterway can actually tell you what it's like to go through a flood & rebuild time & again, and to still go back & rebuild again. HOWEVER, I've just heard about the huge increases in flood insurance premiums recently, and maybe people will not do it anymore. Here in Oregon on the North Umpqua River & Main Umpqua River that flows on west to the ocean. Beautiful pine & fir lined river banks. Some with small mountain streams flowing through your property. Been there numerous experiences & last time living on the North Umpqua River at Winchester, never went through a "flood" but got close a couple times in the 20 years we lived there. I became a "city boy" 14 years ago, and yearn for my 'river front' ties. And to satisfy it, I drive out to my brothers home that is on the river, and let him worry about it these days. I guess you can say, "it get's in your blood"
bajabuddha
Banned

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 05:24 PM

Phil, i'm totally agreeing with you. I've seen wave after wave of younger tourists buying up the newly cleaned-up homes of those who went through the slime and sorrows 3,4, and 5 times, finally to give up, because all their time is spent on vacation cleaning up the mess.

As Sly and the Family Stone sang, some (ahem)years ago. "when is mud thicker than the blood?"

86 - 45*

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 10:02 PM

Flood is better than earthquake. Maybe.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 10:04 PM

Definitely rather flood than have forest fire
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tioloco
Flood is better than earthquake. Maybe.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tioloco
Definitely rather flood than have forest fire

And flood, fire and earthquake are all preferable to global warming or Ebola epidemic, eh?
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 07:48 AM

.....or perhaps none of the above,,

..................but yer slip on a banana peel :no::no:

.............or eat bad taco :barf::barf:
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 08:03 AM

Banana peels and bad tacos are definitely bad news!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.