BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Starband Stopping Service In Mexico?
BCSTech
Senior Nomad

Mood: Carpe Manana

[*] posted on 7-29-2014 at 09:50 PM
Starband Stopping Service In Mexico?

I heard that a couple of Starband subscribers received an Email announcing that Starband was discontinuing service.

If this is true, can anyone supply me with a copy of the letter?

Alan Thompson

El Dorado Networks

News For The Left Coast of Baja:
The Baja Western Onion
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 07:53 AM

The only thing I have heard is that they are discontinuing service on the sat at 123 longitude as of Sept 30 so any customers will have to be reaimed to the 121 sat. Starband is not paying for the repoint this time like they did last time.
Here is what I got:

Effective September 30, 2014 StarBand will no longer be offering service on the satellite G18.

Customers who are in areas covered by Echostar 9 at 121W can be repointed on or before that date to avoid interruption of service. In areas that do not have coverage on E9 or do not have a line of site to E9, service will automatically terminate as of September 30th.

StarBand will be contacting the customer directly before the end of June, through email and mail, but we are contacting you first so that you will be able to answer their questions about a possible repoint to E9. If your customer is able to connect to E9 please contact StarBand customer service and we will provide you with a new TechID number and E9 parameters.
Repoint payments should be discussed with your customer prior to repoint. Any payment is between you and your customer. No additional payments or credits will be issued.
A list of your affected customers will be sent to you in a separate email.

We sincerely apologize for this situation as we understand that it is a hardship to both you and your customers. Unfortunately the changing landscape of the satellite broadband business leaves us with no other option. If there is anything else we can do to assist you through this transition please let us know.

Regards,
The StarBand Team

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
BCSTech
Senior Nomad

Mood: Carpe Manana

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 08:11 AM

Larry, thanks for that.

Near as I can tell, Baja coverage from 121 looks better than 123?

Alan Thompson

El Dorado Networks

News For The Left Coast of Baja:
The Baja Western Onion
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 01:25 PM

Yeah, I had one customer assigned to the 123 and I couldn't get a good enough signal and had to have him reassigned to the 121. Then it worked.
Larry

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
bowser
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 03:10 PM

Larry,
How can we tell which satellite we are pointed at?
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 07:59 AM

To see which sat you are assigned to you would have to log into your Starband account, click on the "account info" tab and see what cluster you are assigned to. Clusters 90, 91, 92. and 93 are on the 121 sat. If you are on a different cluster you may be assigned to the 123 sat. I don't have my books here with me in San Diego so I am going from memory. I am pretty sure you are not assigned to the 123 sat 'cause I have only had one customer assigned to that sat and I couldn't get a good enough signal to make their system work and had to have them reassigned to the 121 sat. Hope this helps,
Larry

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.