Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6
Author: Subject: Best 4WD
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 06:00 AM
Best 4WD

Any opinions on the new 4WD trucks? I'm growing more wary of the newer trucks and all the electronics...haven't a good experience with our 2009 Tacoma, it just hasn't held up to the rigors of off-road. Maybe go retro and get a 90s Toy---my 1992 was bullet proof---let it go at 225K but looking back maybe I should have kept it.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 06:12 AM

Older Dodge Diesels be Da Bomb....

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 07:50 AM

03 tundra has been stellar!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 08:28 AM

Full size GM trucks have ball joint issues if driven hard off-road, especially if it's lifted. I've replaced the ball joints on my 04 GMC several times. But on my 93 Toyota and 04 Tacoma which I've hammered harder off road I've never had a front suspension problem, other than shocks until I went to Bilstein. I have broke rear leaves on the Tacoma which I think I have now solved with my new modified leave pack.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 08:38 AM

Mexitron, which model '09 (Base, SR5, Off Road, or Sport) Tacoma?

What issues are you having?

Do you read TacomaWorld.com forums to find answers, upgrades, info?

My 2010 has been stellar off road and I have the best time with the traction systems that are on the Off Road TRD. Once they are understood, the 2009+ Off Road 4WD Tacomas are simply unstoppable for a stock truck.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 09:03 AM

considered a Raptor?
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 09:10 AM

Owned Toyota my whole life, so I don't have experience with any other makes. But even in Baja I still prefer solid front axle trucks. They just last longer, less moving parts, etc.

My current ride is a 97 FZJ80 Land cruiser, with front and rear electric lockers. Coil sprung in each corner (4" Old man emu springs). Thing drives like a Cadillac. Problem is ... its not a truck ;)

If me I'd probably try driving a full sized DIESEL GMC, Chevy, Ford... Whichever has a solid front axle. Plus the diesels have less electronics and more reliable in general (in my opinion)
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Older Dodge Diesels be Da Bomb....

how older be 'older'
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 09:16 AM

Want to buy a '96 Tacoma? ;D
Baja tested, Low miles (for a Toyota), one owner.

[Edited on 7-30-2014 by Taco de Baja]

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

My 2010 has been stellar off road and I have the best time with the traction systems that are on the Off Road TRD. Once they are understood, the 2009+ Off Road 4WD Tacomas are simply unstoppable for a stock truck.
My friends had an 2011 Tacoma and had problems with busted leaf springs, trim falling off, windshield leak, and broken welds in body panels, after 3 years in BCS, the truck was falling apart.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BooJumMan
Owned Toyota my whole life, so I don't have experience with any other makes. But even in Baja I still prefer solid front axle trucks. They just last longer, less moving parts, etc.

My current ride is a 97 FZJ80 Land cruiser, with front and rear electric lockers. Coil sprung in each corner (4" Old man emu springs). Thing drives like a Cadillac. Problem is ... its not a truck ;)

If me I'd probably try driving a full sized DIESEL GMC, Chevy, Ford... Whichever has a solid front axle. Plus the diesels have less electronics and more reliable in general (in my opinion)

IFS (Independent Front Suspension) is perhaps much better than before? None of my three Tacomas had solid front axles, but my '75 Jeep did. Know what is going to freak out Jeep owners? IFS is coming to the Wrangler in a couple years. :O:o

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 09:22 AM

Quote:

Not anymore, the new diesels are overly complicated beasts.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Quote:

My friends had an 2011 Tacoma and had problems with busted leaf springs, trim falling off, windshield leak, and broken welds in body panels, after 3 years in BCS, the truck was falling apart.
you know if he would have limited his baja trips to an annual shell island excursion, his truck would still be like new!:light:....:lol:
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 09:34 AM

Quote:

Before 60K the ABS Brake system had to be replaced, the AC went out, radio knobs sometimes don't work, severe steering column rattle........then, when driving out to Oregon (and then to Baja) last week, long story short, the engine seized---something blew out and the oil drained out....no sensor lights were on. Warranty folks are tearing the engine down to see what happened....thank goodness I bought the extended warranty.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Quote:

Before 60K the ABS Brake system had to be replaced,

See? unstoppable for a stock truck! :lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Quote:

you know if he would have limited his baja trips to an annual shell island excursion, his truck would still be like new!:light:....:lol:

My Tacoma has done more than you give it credit for...

It went through this too... twice!

Usually we are solo (the Tacoma is so reliable, I don't need to travel with others for safety), but when we are with a group is when I can get some photos of my truck in action.

Here is my Tacoma pulling a 2WD Tacoma out of being stuck in the sand, then up the Diablo Dropoff in Anza-Borrego...

This was in L4 with A-TRAC and the rear locker both on.

Toyota would not have the best selling truck in its class if it was junk, sorry!

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 10:04 AM

I know what you mean David---Toyotas (and my full size Chevy Silverado, now at 200K) have been great off-road trucks for me. Just wondering if they're still the way to go though---the off-road racing package ain't cheap.
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
I know what you mean David---Toyotas (and my full size Chevy Silverado, now at 200K) have been great off-road trucks for me. Just wondering if they're still the way to go though---the off-road racing package ain't cheap.

Tell me about it....Thinking about a new Taco myself and although the prices have not been released on the new 2015 "Taco Supreme" [Yep, they may call it that :lol: :rolleyes: ] with all the off-road bells and whistles, the word on the street is that they will likely begin in the $35,000 to $40,000 range. Ouch!

But if it lasts almost 20 years like my '96...It's not really too bad on the per year cost....:light:

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 11:38 AM

Purchase a new 2014 Tacoma standard cab base model 4WD for $23,100 +T&L. One Baja trip so far, no off road but some marginal dirt roads. Handles well. Roll up windows and manual locks, less to go wrong. I probably would do dual cab if I had to do it again. Miss having storage area.
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 12:21 PM

Quote:
Quote:

IFS (Independent Front Suspension) is perhaps much better than before? None of my three Tacomas had solid front axles, but my '75 Jeep did. Know what is going to freak out Jeep owners? IFS is coming to the Wrangler in a couple years. :O:o

Wranger IFS!!?? That would be crazy. Wasn't last year an IFS/IRS buggy won King of the Hammers? Doesn't surprise me at all. Still feel that solid/straight axles are stronger in the long run though.

Yeah and my last IFS was a 3rd gen 4Runner... I mean, worked great. I even had put in Icon front coilovers... But I still like the ride in the Cruiser!
 Pages:  1    3  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.