Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6
Author: Subject: Best 4WD
CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 12:24 PM

Ford F150 EcoBoost 4x4

nough said

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
- Albert Einstein

Follow Cortez Blue
www.cortezblue.com

We put the FUNK in disFUNKtion
bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 01:25 PM

You said it yourself, "Maybe go retro ". Here's my new ride, and I love it. Standard, 4X4, short cab & bed with a 350.

One sixth the value of other options. Best part . . . fixing minor squawks for mere pesos with a Mexican shade tree mechanic.

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 01:44 PM

Nice rig bajacalifornian! So CortezBlue--you like the Ford....I was reading some good things about it. Might go fullsize anyway since the mileage isn't much worse than the minis. Have you done a lot of off-roading with it so far?
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 02:04 PM

Can't go wrong with the ford.... Had great luck with the f150 and f250 in baja. Very tough and reliable. Not to mention about as safe as it gets in a wreck on hwy 1....
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 02:06 PM

Toyota Tacoma! I've owned five generations of the things - they're dependable and have taken me to amazing places. My trucks see LOTS of dirt in the western US and Baja.

Laurel Lakes:

Deadman Pass:

McGee Mountain:

Top of Sand Canyon, Rock Creek:

On the way to Punta Blanca:

Driving to Punta Final:

Toroweap, AZ:

Near Kanab, UT:

Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 03:30 PM

Don't hear anything about the Honda Pilot. Honda is very reliable. Maybe it is not meant for a lot of off-road? I don't fit in Toyotas.
bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 05:22 PM

Nice option . . .

Your options are without bounds . . .

This is an F 350 7.3L V8 Diesel Turbocharged, 56 bales of alfalfa headed Loreto direct Rosarito, and next to receive 4X4 (making it legal for this post).

I know. Photography is not authorized here.

Not a hijack. Rather, arrival at what you want without spending a fortune.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=61530#pid7437...

Good luck, Mexitron, with your search.

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 06:29 PM

Nice photos StuckSucks! I almost bough a Ford Ranger in 2000... thank God I listened to Neal Johns and other Baja Amigos and went to Toyota when the Ford dealer wouldn't take my Plymouth van as a trade in! I am SOOOO happy with my Tacomas. While #2 (2005) wasn't perfect, the quality and perfection of #1 (2001) and now #3 (2010) really shine!

My Tacoma also is made in Baja California, so it is supporting the people of Baja, built in Baja, for the Baja!

Toyota dealers are really outstanding to... look for a special announcement regarding Toyota of El Cajon and The Old Missions of Baja & Alta California soon! Toyota: Let's Go Places!

:cool:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 08:29 PM

Seems like maybe somebody is a paid spokesperson from a certain auto manufacturer! :) To each his own...
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 08:55 PM

Best 4WD? Different answers for different situations:

1. Will truck be full-time or part-time south of the border?
2. What percentage of time will truck be driven offroad?
3. Are you able to make repairs to the truck yourself?
4. Will this be your only vehicle or to be used only for fun?
5. How hard and fast do you drive when off-road?
6. How important is fuel economy?

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 08:57 PM

We'll put, bajagringo.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 09:17 PM

We live out here on the beach at the end of a 15 mile rocky dirt road. Toyotas may do well in the general desert but I have seen this road out here eat up lots of them, driven back and forth daily by some of my neighbors. Their suspensions just aren't able to take the constant abuse. One neighbor bought a brand new 2011 model Toyota and the first year it ran great. Then the problems started and after he grew tired of repairing/replacing the suspension he sold it. He replaced it with a 2003 Ford F150 FX4 and he loves it in these conditions.

Different trucks work best in different conditions...

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 09:24 PM

I've hammered fords for years and been pretty rough on all of them. Never had any problems to speak of. Tires, oil and fuel.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
Best 4WD? Different answers for different situations:

1. Will truck be full-time or part-time south of the border?
2. What percentage of time will truck be driven offroad?
3. Are you able to make repairs to the truck yourself?
4. Will this be your only vehicle or to be used only for fun?
5. How hard and fast do you drive when off-road?
6. How important is fuel economy?

Good points---I tend to go to Baja for three to four weeks a year in pretty rough places (pole line road and seven sisters last year) so the truck gets a good workout but the rest of the time its at home doing the shopping...as far as repairs go, the new trucks I have no idea how to repair them---that's what's frustrating---you take it on faith with all the electronics.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tioloco
Seems like maybe somebody is a paid spokesperson from a certain auto manufacturer! :) To each his own...

I give them plenty of money to buy their product, and I get nothing from them except a great product. I speak praise of the Tacoma from my heart. Nothing is 100%, but this truck comes close.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 11:14 AM

Can you fix the new trucks? That is an interesting question and for the shade tree mechanic it probably scares him/her. But think for a second about the advantages you have in identifying the problem. Since 1996 with the introduction of the OBDII codes and the ever improving code readers the answer to the problem is at hand. You don't need to be good at penning up an engine or tranny to read a code and IDing the problem. A dead battery is still a dead battery. An engine not starting is still based on gas, air and spark and a code can put you further down the line as to what's wrong. Most newer vehicles will put you in limp mode that will get you to a place to get it serviced. As for service I doubt more than maybe a couple of people on this board work on their vehicle anyway. Do you do an oil change and lube? Do you replace the shocks? Do you replace a leaf in a broken spring pack? Do you replace an oxygen sensor, spark plugs, how about the muffler? How many on here have actually rebuilt an engine. I used to but now I'm too old, fat and lazy.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 11:33 AM

Dittos

btw .. thanks for the pic's .. :):)

[Edited on 7-31-2014 by wessongroup]

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 12:18 PM

That is a valid point Tom, but I also know that the newer trucks have so many new electronics and the fact that they are all built around so many plastic components that there is a lot more potential for something to break or malfunction; especially on long driving on rough and rocky roads. I have several 4x4 vehicles out here, including an F250HD, Range Rover, ML350, Expedition, Yukon and two F150's. The Range Rover and ML350 are extremely comfortable to drive but all their advanced systems and electronics frequently give me trouble. The Yukon has been very dependable in terms of the drive train but the suspension needs constant tweaking with the rocky roads out here. The F250 is an older model that we use mainly for local, heavy hauling - it is dependable but not a very comfortable ride. The newest of the bunch is an Expedition. Very comfortable with lots of advanced electronics, sensors and gizmos but we mainly only use that for long trips on the highway so not a good one to measure against.

The best combination of comfort and dependability are the two F150's on these roads out here. I've got nearly 300,000 miles combined on the two trucks and they both still look and ride like brand new and all I ever do is fill them up with gas and check the oil. Routine maintenance and they run like swiss watches...

[Edited on 7-31-2014 by BajaGringo]

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 01:00 PM

Thanks for all the input everyone.
The F150s are looking good, though it may be hard to get an off-road package in a basic regular cab truck (ie--locking differential, skid plates, etc.). Guess I could have one custom built, that's what I did with the 2000 Chevy Silverado, just takes a couple months.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Thanks for all the input everyone.
The F150s are looking good, though it may be hard to get an off-road package in a basic regular cab truck (ie--locking differential, skid plates, etc.). Guess I could have one custom built, that's what I did with the 2000 Chevy Silverado, just takes a couple months.

It definitely is worth your while to wait a bit if it means getting what you really want. Also, a lot of folks think that special ordering means you won't get much of a price break if anything at all. My suggestion? If you want to order a new one, go straight to the dealer's fleet manager and tell him you want to special order a truck and are shopping around for the dealer that will give you the lowest quote over factory invoice.

In person they will give you a better deal than over the phone or by email. That is the quickest, easiest way to get the very best deal...
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.