Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  6
Author: Subject: Best 4WD
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 02:03 PM

Ron, I understand where you are coming from and I don't disagree. I agree the more electronic gadgets the more problems you can have.

Mexitron keep in mind that things like skid plates can be ordered using the Ford number from an F150 that has one. I did that for my 91 chevy 4x4. It didn't have a skid plate but the Z71 model did so I used that for the order and it fit right in or go for an after market set thaqt could give you more and better protection. I did that for my Tacoma, 3/16 inch steel under the engine, tranny and transfer case. The locker may be an option when you buy.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 02:27 PM

check out "half price raptor" at xtreme4x4, take it as far as you want!:yes:
Tioloco
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 10:07 PM

Bang for the buck, any year wrangler ( yj, tj, jk) are all great baja rigs.
Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 10:33 PM

SP, I just upgraded to a '05 quad cab tundra for myself two kids and the wifeski... Couldn't be happier! Plenty of room and power... Handles the FWC hawk like a champ and still slightly goat pathable, as long as you don't mind a few pinstripes! A little suspension help(which you won't need with the big ford) is all you need.
See you out there somewhere!
TT
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 10:37 PM
baja 4x4's

If for full time daily driver (offroad) a old Dodge power wagon or a K blazer take the bumps in stride !! but rough on any comforts and lux...my self wont by anything from a company that makes a product that they know in advance that people were gonna die !! (PINTO) oh how folks forget so fast !! K&T

[Edited on 8-1-2014 by captkw]
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
...If you want to order a new one, go straight to the dealer's fleet manager and tell him you want to special order a truck and are shopping around for the dealer that will give you the lowest quote over factory invoice...

Perhaps you mean "dealer invoice" instead of "factory invoice." Dealer invoice is what the dealer actually pays for the vehicle with options, destination charges added on, and factory incentives deducted. The "factory invoice" does not have the factory incentives deducted. Those factory incentives can be considerable. By reading the "factory invoice", the consumer would not see the hidden profit that he is paying to the dealer.
It's all designed to confuse and deceive the consumer.
Ideally, you'd want to get a look at the Dealer Invoice.
Here's a tutorial:
http://www.carsdirect.com/car-pricing/cars-factory-invoice-p...
Tioloco
Super Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 11:06 PM

Capt.... (PINTO).... Really??? Haha! Now that is funny! That is like saying Toyota intentionally killed people with the supposed faulty floor mat under accelerator.. I suppose all vehicle manufacturers should be prosecuted when one of their customers die in a collision... WOW
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 12:17 AM
Hola TIO

I guess you don't know/understand this issue....even 60 minutes did a feature on it....I am amazed that at this date in time you would/could make such a non informed post about this subject !! please understand I'm not trying in any manner to badger you.. but the facts about the PINTO are well known and ford knew that the gas tanks were a PROBLEM !!!....PS.. A quik Startpage search shows over 500 people in the USA died due to the bad gas tanks..I belive It was MUCH more than that!! Carry ON !!

[Edited on 8-1-2014 by captkw]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 03:48 AM

SO? You drive a Pinto off road? I didn't know they still sold em. Never buy a boat named the Titanic....

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 08:08 AM

I do the same as my Mexican friends do... they say proudly "La Baja".

In reality, if you read my professional writings, I use Baja California for accuracy and Baja in casual chat. In the case of the Toyota comment, saying 'The Baja' just sounded better.

It is an abbreviation for The Baja Peninsula, fyi. Most of us on Nomad know that Baja is so well recognized, it does not need to be 'attached' to California to have meaning!

[Edited on 8-1-2014 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
but looking back maybe I should have kept it.

I have said that a few times...my corvette, my cadillacs, my 46 willys jeep, my VW Jetta diesel...

but I don't miss my 76 Dodge van or my wife. :tumble:
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
Best 4WD? Different answers for different situations:

1. Will truck be full-time or part-time south of the border?
2. What percentage of time will truck be driven offroad?
3. Are you able to make repairs to the truck yourself?
4. Will this be your only vehicle or to be used only for fun?
5. How hard and fast do you drive when off-road?
6. How important is fuel economy?

This thread has been a good read, and I think Ron is on the right track.
It all depends on your budget and application. I have seven 4x4s (Fords, Chevys, a 88 Suzuki ) a few to get rid of and a few for different apps.
Our " new " older Baja rig is a 1989 V2500, 350 TBI, Standard 4 speed part time 4x4 with posi rear diff. Found it with 109,000 mi. on it . I love that I can repair it but it's bullet proof out of the box. Room for the Fam and guests, complete slide out galley, camp gear, three dogs, kayaks and boards on top.
I'm a fan of less is more, roll up windows, no extensive electronic systems, strait axels and never A/T.:cool:
BajaRat
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
Those Suburbans were on my list but, if I'm gonna drive a big truck then what the hell, I'm gonna go big!

Down here on the mainland there are some seriously tight streets...... however, all I do is flashback to parallel parking my fire engine and I think I'll be fine.

I think I will 86 our Rodeo when I get the other rig and possibly purchase a smaller 4x4 for running around type trips..... anything from 4Runner size to a Wrangler type vehicle.

I had a '58 Willy's that I popped a 350 into that would crawl through and over anything and got up and went all the way to 55mph once upon a time..... that was a fun rig!

:lol::lol::lol: My First vehicle was a '58 Willys PU with a 350 conversion.
Yeah the Burb is a beast but when u get used to it , it's like driving the Type I :lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 8-1-2014 by BajaRat]
BajaRat
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 03:13 PM

I guess I just like lightly used ( now becoming vintage ) vehicles. It seems that not only me but most mechanicos get it with these rigs.

Another huge requirement for us is new and used parts availability, we like to be on the road pronto :cool:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I do the same as my Mexican friends do... they say proudly "La Baja".
Yeah. As I recall, in previous discussions on that topic, you'd posted a picture from (Jimmy Smith's?) book poking fun at those who used the phrase "the Baja." Guess it just shows to go...

Indeed it sound dumb to many... perhaps you should really get after the Canadians, as no one linguistic group say 'The Baja' more than them, .... eh?

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 07:47 PM

I think FORD spelled backwards reads, BAJA!!! Oh yeah... we also have BFG's on our FORDS :biggrin:
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 08:33 PM
4x4

The best 4x4 is the one that get's you out there and brings you home without breaking down. I was taught by a man that never owned a 4x4 how to drive. I grew up in the Panhandle of Texas. we experienced all kinds of driving conditions and managed to overcome them.
I love my 95 Suburban 4x4 and my 91 wrangler 4.0 in Baja parts and savey mechanic's for both are readily available.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 8-2-2014 at 10:04 AM

Heh, I was just coming out the Texas Panhandle when my Toyota broke down around Chillicothe...love that shortgrass prairie and the Caprock up there. I hear you on the older trucks...might just overhaul my 2000 Silverado and drive that in Baja again. Beast of a truck---2500 4x4 with a one ton axle, 3300 lb payload. Been my work truck in CA and TX.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2014 at 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
Hey David and the rest of the minutiae lovers, love you but who gives a chiite... this is about 4x4s.
Peace.

Talk to Lencho... I was not going off topic was I? :lol::?:

BajaRat
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2014 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Heh, I was just coming out the Texas Panhandle when my Toyota broke down around Chillicothe...love that shortgrass prairie and the Caprock up there. I hear you on the older trucks...might just overhaul my 2000 Silverado and drive that in Baja again. Beast of a truck---2500 4x4 with a one ton axle, 3300 lb payload. Been my work truck in CA and TX.

Yep,
Our Ranchito Rig is a '88 Chevrolet K3500 454ci 4x4 , Standard 4 speed. Can't screw up well maintained oldies
I LOVE TRUCKS !!!!!!!!!
 Pages:  1    3    5  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.