Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4    6
Author: Subject: Best 4WD
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2014 at 12:17 PM

Lots of off-road racers have used the term "The Baja" meaning the Baja 1000.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2014 at 12:19 PM

Everyone knows the best 4X4 out there is the Nissan Pathfinder.

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2014 at 12:24 PM

I was thinking the Subaru brat.... Or the chevy el camino on a blazer frame. Cool cars for date night as we'll. :)
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 8-2-2014 at 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Everyone knows the best 4X4 out there is the Nissan Pathfinder.

Do tell..

Haven't heard much from Nissan Frontier owners...they price a bit less expensive but reviews seem good for the 2014s.

[Edited on 8-2-2014 by Mexitron]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-2-2014 at 01:22 PM

Land rover defender. They sell in mex, but not in USA. Same with Toyota hilux, the more utilitarian and tougher toyota pick up.
Toyota land cruiser for comfy plush 4wd.

I miss my '72 land rover short wheel base. Was more fun than a jeep.
I would like a soft top defender.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2014 at 02:09 PM

Would love to get the Hilux, those were my first two Toyotas, tough trucks!
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2014 at 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron

Still sold new in Mexico.

I know....I looked into it, virtually impossible to import here though. I'll have to move to Baja.......hey:light:
Genecag
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2014 at 06:24 PM

I have been very happy with the f-150 crewcab 4x4s, i am on my 6th. They are comfortable and roomy. Parts are always available and mechanics easy to find.

Back in 2007, i think, i switched to the Tacoma 4x4 TRD for a year but traded back for a f-150 within the year. We made a spirited run up to Laguna Hansen and after returning, i found a crumple in the bed about 6" from the beginning of the bed. I think it was from the flex in the frame........

I got a FX4 Crew Cab a few months ago with the 6.2 L motor and think it is the best so far. The electronic differential lock makes a difference in the sand and it handles like a bmw on the road and pretty much go anywhere we please.

Make it a Great Day!!
blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 8-2-2014 at 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Older Dodge Diesels be Da Bomb....

Right on chuckie here is my 97 2500 cummins 12 valve, 160,000 mi, I heard a mexican farmer can keep these runnin almost forever, even has a set of BFG AT KO's for shoes 2nd set and a Banks turbo upgrade should last me the rest of my life, long or short

P1013919 (Small) (Custom).JPG - 33kB
liknbaja127
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2014 at 07:17 PM

We like our 92 FORD Bronco, just went through the hole thing, top to bottom!
It is easy to drive down there! and not bad on gas either.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 8-2-2014 at 08:39 PM

Was surprised on the gas too .... 86 .. don't get to drive it, but, was fun when I did and they are really very cheap ... some guys put a lot into one and have to get rid of it for much less than what they have spent in time and money .. in some cases

Considering what you're getting ... looking at some of the old ones can be worth it for some :):)

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2014 at 08:47 PM

You get what you pay for. Obviously, if money isn't an issue, nobody would pick a Tacoma over a f150 or chevy 1500. Just saying....
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 8-2-2014 at 09:30 PM

Or ya pay for what ya get ... "used" to do my own work and knew my vehicle pretty good from that .. carried tools just in case but, never had any real problems

Learned an important lesson in 1956, we were going down to Johnson ranch to camp out in the "pickle weed" ... the road was bad, the man driving our next door neighbor was going way to fast and my dad kept telling him to slow down ... He punched a hole in the pan ... took a few days to get it fixed ... he slowed down

They ALL have problems ... ya fix problems and treat them gently .. used to drive hard ... unless your racing for real .. slow down and enjoy the ride .. easier on you and your transportation IMHO

One must chose wisely ... it helps a lot in buying anything

There are all kinds cars and trucks that folks drive around Baja every day ... some days are better than others ... if one was 100% better than all others, then there would be only one car company

Have always thought of cars ...like one would a horse ..treat them good and they will treat you good ... some are better than others ... but, both will get you most of the time to where you are going

Plus I'm really CHEAP ... :lol::lol:

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-2-2014 at 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tioloco
You get what you pay for. Obviously, if money isn't an issue, nobody would pick a Tacoma over a f150 or chevy 1500. Just saying....

It's not the money, it's the size. I neither need or want a full size truck. If I did I would do what other Nomads like Ateo and Woody and get a Tundra. I do like Ford Raptors, however.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2014 at 08:09 AM

Quote:

The Tacoma TRD is pricing pretty near a 4x4 F150. Like David says though, its nice having a smaller truck if you do lots of exploring on billy goat trails like we do.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-3-2014 at 08:20 AM

Quote:
Quote:

The Tacoma TRD is pricing pretty near a 4x4 F150. Like David says though, its nice having a smaller truck if you do lots of exploring on billy goat trails like we do.

Exactly, a Ford Raptor cannot get to Mission Santa Maria, but a Tacoma Off Road can! Cameron did get within sight of the mission, but those final gullies halted him (probably the one that grabbed my rear bumper)!

The sticker on my 2010 Double Cab 4WD Off Road Tacoma was around $33,000. Tacomas aren't cheap and that is not why we Baja Nomads buy them. They are reliable and capable. The Off Road TRD was developed with input from Ivan Stewart racing Toyotas in Baja.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-3-2014 at 08:40 AM

Quote:

I always thought Tacoma was a chicks truck. Cute truck.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2014 at 11:36 AM

I've had less problems with my Toyota cars and trucks compared to my US brand names. I also think they hold their value better. I do tend to hold on to my vehicles a long time.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2014 at 04:34 PM

Hahaha! A raptor cant get to Mission santa Maria?.... That is a driver problem. That is like saying a 4 door wrangler cant but a 2 door can. All up to the driver. I am sure many people consider Cocos corner a real tough Baja adventure. Anyway, I guess the point is drive what you want and go prepared!
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 8-3-2014 at 05:30 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:

Still sold new in Mexico.

I know....I looked into it, virtually impossible to import here though. I'll have to move to Baja.......hey:light:

You can purchase a Hilux front clip with a low miles turbo diesel and all related electronics and hardware on Ebay from importers in L.A.
That would make a hell of a Toy conversion.
Aren't the Toyota trucks available with a turbo diesel in Canada :?:
 Pages:  1  2    4    6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.