Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  
Author: Subject: Best 4WD
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2014 at 05:46 PM

And if you buy and register it in Baja or Sonora? What is saying you couldn't drive it around here and there? Just get an insurance policy for it like all Mexican plated cars are required to do. Just wondering how the U.S. could keep you from driving it around here? Mexicans don't require that we register our cars there when visiting. This would be more practical to someone retired or self employed, I guess.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-4-2014 at 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaRat
Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Would love to get the Hilux, those were my first two Toyotas, tough trucks!

Still sold new in Mexico.

I know....I looked into it, virtually impossible to import here though. I'll have to move to Baja.......hey:light:

You can purchase a Hilux front clip with a low miles turbo diesel and all related electronics and hardware on Ebay from importers in L.A.
That would make a hell of a Toy conversion.
Aren't the Toyota trucks available with a turbo diesel in Canada :?:

From what I have read on Tacoma World, the Canadians have the same selection of Tacomas as here except there is no double cab Off Road, only Access Cab in the Off Road. (The Off Road 4WD has a rear locking differential and A-TRAC, which is a front and rear traction system that does nearly what lockers do)

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bigboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2014 at 10:26 AM

I have two Baja proven Ford Bronco's. The one that lives at my Baja house is a 1989 with over 270,000 miles. No major problems so far and we drive it to Cabo every year with a few side trips on dirt roads. My eyery day driver is a 1995 with over 240,000 miles. I drive that Bronco to our home in Baja as well as some off-road in the deserts. No major problems with this one too!

I also have a V10 Excursion 4X4 that has never been to the dealer for anything. Rounding off my fleet of 4X4's, is a 1979 International Scout II. This is a fun truck that sees a lot of desert off-roading. Now the Scout has not any major problems but has had a few little ones but who cares, it's my hobby truck!
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2014 at 10:50 AM

I know there's a few on this thread... But, being a 4x4 enthusiast who goes on trips through the Sierra's, desert, local mountains, Baja just strictly for trail in my 4x4... I don't think I've ever seen a F150, Chevy Silverado, Raptor, or similar truck on a trail before.

While I'd say 75-85% of 4x4's on the trails are Jeeps, the other would be Toyota trucks, Land Cruisers, and various custom Truggy type trucks. I have seen a few Bronco's on the larger trails I guess. (I personally love Broncos).

Funny to mention too... I've pulled 2 Chevy trucks from the dunes in Mexico and one in Pismo dunes with my older 4Runner. I also pulled out a F350 on 37's from cobblestones in Baja. All were 4x4 trucks too. Not saying its the truck's fault, but ... ; )

[Edited on 8-4-2014 by BooJumMan]
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2014 at 11:00 AM

The best truck in the world right now is the new 2015 Silverado 2500HD LTZ Z71. Period, end of discussion. Everyone else is playing for 2nd place.

[Edited on 8-4-2014 by JZ]

[Edited on 8-5-2014 by BajaNomad]
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2014 at 11:13 AM

Wait 3 or 4 months and it will be on the re-call list.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2014 at 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Wait 3 or 4 months and it will be on the re-call list.

Jelly?

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2014 at 01:17 PM

You got that great GM feeling! If not, then just wait... :light::lol:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

RanchGX

[*] posted on 8-4-2014 at 02:21 PM

Jeep Grand Wagoneer!

1/2 ton pickup with the body of an SUV, V8, great low gearing, seats 6, power everything, can be found all day for cheap, can be fixed with parts from a GM or Ford vehicle, only seems to break down in mall parking lots, but has never left me stranded in the desert.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2014 at 04:13 PM

Now you're talking! I owned the 2 door version in 1975 (first generation Cherokee)... and the '65 Wagoneer was how I was introduced to Baja as a child! Kaiser Jeep Corp. in the 60's and AMC Jeep in the 70's.

BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 8-4-2014 at 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JZ
The best truck in the world right now is the new 2015 Silverado 2500HD LTZ Z71. Period, end of discussion. Everyone else is playing for 2nd place.

[Edited on 8-4-2014 by JZ]

[Edited on 8-5-2014 by BajaNomad]

After you get it wet Ill tow you out to the nearest town with one of my second place rides :lol:
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-5-2014 at 02:11 AM

The best truck for Baja is:
One you can afford
One that can be fixed in Baja
One that you like and have confidence in.

dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2014 at 11:33 AM

I dunno JZ, I had the half ton version of that and it was in the shop six times in eight months. I sold it on.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 8-5-2014 at 11:36 AM

Back in the 60s I had a 1952 Jeep FC with a 283 Chevy engine that I used for deer hunting. Although I never had it in Baja it would have been perfect for off-loading here.

http://www.offroaders.com/events/images/DSC02363_small.JPG КАКОЙ НАФИГ УАЗ!!! Первые УАЗ-469 сошли с...

Bob Durrell
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2014 at 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dasubergeek
I dunno JZ, I had the half ton version of that and it was in the shop six times in eight months. I sold it on.

1/2 ton bud. That right there is your problem. Who in their right mind buys a 1/2 ton truck? It's like being half pregnant.
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 8-5-2014 at 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Back in the 60s I had a 1952 Jeep FC with a 283 Chevy engine that I used for deer hunting. Although I never had it in Baja it would have been perfect for off-loading here.

http://www.offroaders.com/events/images/DSC02363_small.JPG КАКОЙ НАФИГ УАЗ!!! Первые УАЗ-469 сошли с...

Love the forward control Jeep, have a neighboring ranch with one asleep in the barn.
Anyone know the progress on the retro Jeep FC :?:
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2014 at 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JZ
Quote:
Originally posted by dasubergeek

1/2 ton bud. That right there is your problem. Who in their right mind buys a 1/2 ton truck? It's like being half pregnant.

Yeah, the recalls had a ton to do with its capacity. Good luck there, make sure you bookmark the government's recall site.
Bichito
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-5-2014 at 07:55 PM

2005 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Access Cab. All stock w/ BFG AT's
235k miles of highway + desert + beach. It was driven pretty hard on many occasions.. Ateo has even seen it catch air briefly (on the Motorola "that's you in the air" as he was following me). Plenty of room & not too long of a wheel base for minor technical stuff. The real bonus for Toyota is the resale.. I just sold my 05 Tacoma on CL for well over KBB.

I'm about ready to beat the snot out of a 14 Tundra... I won't comment on Tundra till I hit at least $100k.
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 07:41 AM

just sold my 04 toy dc off road with 100k for 19,000 crappy mpg,, didm need a 4x4 so bought a 2015 honda fit .
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 09:07 AM

Jim that is a heck of a price for the 04. Good for you.
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.