BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: New guy in La Paz - WTF Burgers??
weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 12:30 PM
New guy in La Paz - WTF Burgers??

There's a new burger in town. I know what you're thinking but the owner sez it stands for "where's the food" - OK? Anyway we ate there yesterday and give it two thumbs up. It is right next to, and an operational part of, Palermos on the malecon. You will be told the burgers are made from "Kobe" beef which, of course, they are not. Kobe like or Kobe type OK, not the real deal. Anyway the beef is excellent and we ordered medio rojo which is exactly what we got. All orders come with either regular fries or sweet potato fries. Both were excellent and the cook understands his fries. Basically you have two choices, a plain hamburger or a cheeseburger. There are other choices but are pretty much just a massage of the name to pimp you out of some extra cash. We also ordered onion rings which were just so-so and served on a ridiculous stand to make it a Christmas tree presentation. Kinda hokey and over cooked. They claim the buns are imported frozen from La Brea bakery in LA. Excellent buns for Mexico. The only hitch here is the money. This is pretty much about a twelve dollar burger which is bouncing off the ceiling of our budget for lunch. BTW the cheese is also excellent but at 40 pesos more for the cheeseburger you're paying over three bucks for cheese! Anyway if you're willing to drop about thirty+ bucks on lunch you won't come away hungry.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 01:03 PM

...maybe they named the restaurant from the exclamations people make when they got their bills:O:O

weebray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 01:46 PM

Oh that's a good chuckle but to be honest there are quite a number of new restaurants in La Paz serving burgers in the ten buck range. Some of them are really bad too. I featured this one because the burger was super albeit caro.

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 01:55 PM

can get the same treatment here in the US without having to go all the way south.

Why get excited about a burger in Baja?
CP
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by norte
can get the same treatment here in the US without having to go all the way south.

Why get excited about a burger in Baja?

Perhaps because some of us live in Baja and like a good burger without having to go all the way north.

Thanks for the review Weebray!;)
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 02:30 PM

Maybe the overpriced place next door makes them believe they can get that kind of price for a burger.

My advise: stick with the Shack. Great burger for about $ 9.00, big enough to feed 2 people.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2014 at 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Maybe the overpriced place next door makes them believe they can get that kind of price for a burger.

My advise: stick with the Shack. Great burger for about $ 9.00, big enough to feed 2 people.

.....that must be a whole bajacow,,,,from what I've seen :wow:
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 11:48 AM

thanks for the heads up weebray! see you in November for lunches together (((:

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Genecag
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2014 at 01:46 PM

I enjoy an occasional burger at Tail Hunter and it's good.

Make it a Great Day!!
weebray
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 05:40 PM

This just in. During the month of Aug. you get 20% off at WTF if you say you are a member of the La Paz gringo's forum on Yahoo. I am not a member, I was but it is run by a religious, Prozak driven person or persons that are living in La La land and will not tolerate ANY descent. I happened to agree with someone that a certain restaurant in town had dreadful food. We both got 86ed. Fine with me, the forum is just a bunch of watered down pabulum anyway, not worth wasting your time so I suggest you just lie, tell them you're a member, and get your 20%. I post controversial stuff here all the time, I don't get thrown off I just get told what an a-hole I am. Oh well?

rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 08:50 PM

Just had dinner there...great burgers (the black and blue, with carmelized onions, blue cheese and bacon was a fav...and they happily substituted a very nice salad for fries). The milk shake was the best I've ever had in Baja. Two thumbs up. Highly recommended.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Genecag
I enjoy an occasional burger at Tail Hunter and it's good.

Better or off with something you know was frozen before it was microwaved as opposed to questionable Tv dinners.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.