BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Photo (and other) Attachments -- Limitation!!
Arthur
Nomad

sad.gif posted on 2-8-2005 at 09:28 PM
My avatar worked for awhile

I entered the URL for a small avatar this morning and it worked for awhile, but then it disappeared. I checked, and the URL is still good.

Did you disable my avatar for some reason?
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2005 at 09:36 PM
This one?

\"I think it would be a good idea.\"
-- Mahatma Gandhi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
Arthur
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2005 at 09:42 PM

That's the one. What am I doing wrong?
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2005 at 09:51 PM
I don't know!

I've tried numerous times to post an avatar without success.

Yours I just right-clicked (with firefox) on view image, downloaded to my computer, up-loaded to the site........but that doesn't cure your problem.

Arthur
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2005 at 09:56 PM

Well, it shows that the image can be displayed at least. Maybe it will disappear again, like mine did. Thanks for experimenting with it -- and it's good (perversely) to hear that someone else has trouble with this. I would think that there would be a set of instructions for doing this.
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2005 at 10:02 PM
See if you can glean anything from this thread

http://www.forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=2764

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 2-9-2005 at 12:00 PM

Arthur,

Your issue is that you're using the webshots.com to serve the image, and they're blocking hotlinking.

If you like the image, save it and put it on another server that does not block hotlinking of images.

The reason it displays is that you've got the image in memory from viewing it elsewhere, either on the webshots site, or directly by the URL:

http://image34.webshots.com/35/7/43/41/269674341LGAWoK_ph.jp...

Once you visit that image, it'll display here for a short time (as long as it's still in the memory/cache of your local machine). After that, it's not going to display.

It's the same problem for David K. He's hotlinking to webtv.net, but they block the hotlinks to images as well... so David's seeing them from his memory/cache, but nobody else is seeing them unless they go visit the image link/location itself.

Hope that made sense... I had to make a quick answer.. no time to re-read it.

Regards,
--
Doug Means

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Arthur
Nomad

eureka.gif posted on 2-9-2005 at 02:21 PM

That makes complete sense, Doug -- and thanks. I never would have figured it out myself. I'll find a better site.
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 2-24-2005 at 12:46 PM
Image-Ready

http://apex.vtc.com/image-ready-7.php

Here's a free trail.
*less JPeg is what u r looking for*
It's Image -ready that pops up after you in Photoshop. A new window appears OVER the PhotoShop window. The new showing split window format shows; left window is the original and right window is with less JPeg. Look at the JPeg adapter function to your far right, adjust the slider to less> click on the second window" center area>look at the lower part of this window to see a kb number. You are looking for a number of 50 orless than 50 value>save to>where ever your picture folder is.

[Edited on 2-24-2005 by yankeeirishman]
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2005 at 01:11 PM
Images on my/your server??

So sorry, i did not realize that the pics on my server were being tranfered to your server. Is that what happens? Even if these are not attachments? Is this so they become archives? I am not exactly sure why when these pics were resized that they have different file sizes. I will use a diff program to resize below 50K. It seems a while back I tried to do the file attachment option but could not see it working.... do i use the same (http)address as when posting images. Sharksbaja
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 2-28-2005 at 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
So sorry, i did not realize that the pics on my server were being tranfered to your server. Is that what happens? Even if these are not attachments? Is this so they become archives? I am not exactly sure why when these pics were resized that they have different file sizes. I will use a diff program to resize below 50K. It seems a while back I tried to do the file attachment option but could not see it working.... do i use the same (http)address as when posting images. Sharksbaja
There are two ways to post pictures in the forums. First way: Hosted here - through use of the "attachment" feature in the forums that allow it. Second way: Hotlinking from another site - by using the "insert an image" feature from the formatting section (the yellow image button) - which uses the "img" element in the BB Code. You can read about the BB Code in the FAQ.

Only the images that are hosted HERE are under the limitation of 50k - as the images are what takes up the majority of the space on the server, not the text. All I ask of images not hosted here is that they not be so large as to distort the page width (which in itself is actually a flaw to allow such in the software code for the forum - and I haven't taken the time to do something about it).

Hope this makes sense.

--
Doug

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.

SiReNiTa
Special Correspondent

Mood: Savoring life while saving the world!

[*] posted on 5-5-2006 at 01:55 PM

hi...I'm new here and i would really like if some one can tell me how to actually add photos...me and my mom (shari) have been trying and have not been able to figure it out...is ther ea secret or something????:no:

Live life as well as you can,
don\'t regret the things that once made you smile,
learn from your mistakes,
and thank God for every second he gives you upon this earth.

Visit me at
Http://BajaScents.Scentsy.com.mx
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 5-5-2006 at 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SiReNiTa
hi...I'm new here and i would really like if some one can tell me how to actually add photos...me and my mom (shari) have been trying and have not been able to figure it out...is ther ea secret or something????:no:
Read "Can I insert an attachment" in the FAQ.

Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 5-5-2006 at 07:53 PM
Thanks Doug!

I am just trying to learn how to post pics and hope my first try wasn't too big! (actually Mija did it from Baja).:saint:

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.