Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: What are you reading?
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 01:18 PM

"Song of the Sirens" by Ernest Gann. About his love affairs with 17 various boats (sirens) and his (Mis)adventures buying, sailing, fishing and ultimately selling them over the course of his life.

Well written nonfiction of a life at sea. Gann is a marvelous writer and storyteller. His descriptions of fishing in a small boat for salmon and albacore from cedros island north to SF bay and dealing with the physical demands and economics of commercial fishing is both sad and funny cuz it's true.

I'll have to change from iPhone to real keyboard to provide a synopsis.

I'm still on high seas myself. Happy it's not my own boat and comes with a fine crew. But I've been Thinking about my last boat, Calypso, a lovely 34' Pearson, built in Rhode Island in early 60s. Designed by Carl Alberg and sturdy enough to go around the world. Beautiful spruce boom. A real head turner... I believe she's still in Ensenada.

Excerpt:

"These sometimes challenging encounters with basic reality are perhaps the most wonderful thing about sailing the seas in small boats or even small ships. For the oceans are exactly like anyone's life, at times tranquil and easy, and at other times turbulent, and exasperating and occasionally frightening. You can tell almost exactly which degree of security the master of a small craft has reached by observing the behavior of his vessel and her appearance. ...it is all to be seen in how he accepts the ever-varying invitations of the sea."

[Edited on 8-7-2014 by Whale-ista]

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 01:48 PM

Whale-ista! I thought of you while I was reading the book! There were so many scientists taking water samples etc. on that expedition. Sounded a little like your current trip, minus all the disaster. The scientists were on contract to write journals on their experience on board as the boat was sponsored by the Canadian Government. So the author compiled the book using all the journals. For two days I could not put it down.

I love hearing what everyone is reading. Please give a mini synopsis of your read if you would. Just so I get a feel if it is a book I would enjoy.

So, I also just read a very weird and bizarre book that turned out to be written by born again Cristians with a heavy slant towards religion, which was out of left field for me, but the book was nonetheless so interesting! Called Left Behind, by Lahaye and Jenkins, its about everyone who is GOOD going straight to heaven. One day they are all on Earth and the next all good peeps are gone. Try getting your mind around that thought!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 02:01 PM

Just finished London by Edward Rutherfurd for the second time. Love novels with a historic touch.
Sarum, also by him, is one of my all time favorites.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 03:32 PM

Just finished Monsoon by Wilber Smith. I didn't want to put it down. Highly recommend.

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Just finished London by Edward Rutherfurd for the second time. Love novels with a historic touch.
Sarum, also by him, is one of my all time favorites.

Thanks for the recommendation. Just bought the Kindle version.

about the author and his books
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 04:38 PM

A book: 'California Conquered: The Annexation of a Mexican Province 1846-1850' by Neal Harlow

Also reading, online: 'The Dominican Mission Foundations in Baja California, 1769-1822' by Albert Nieser

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
"Camp and Camino in Lower California 1908-1910" by Arthur North......talk about hard core camping! Just finished Leonard Wibberley's "Yesterday's Land" a good retro tour of the northern peninsula in 1959 by truck.
Ulysses? Actually made it through that, don't ask me how or test me on it though :lol:

This is a 1977 reprint of the original book, below. The expedition was actually in 1905 and 1906 with the book published in 1910.

Here is the other book mentioned... Many people who traveled in Baja in the 50's and 60's wrote books about their trip, as it was a serious adventure.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tioloco
The Anglers Guide to Trailer Boating Baja- Zach Thomas.
Almost like being there!

It is a good book and Zach was here on Nomad too...

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 05:28 PM

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand
True story about the life of a remarkable man and a lesson in perseverance of the human body and mind. The author has put together a great story. Read the book before Hollywood gets hold of the script.

*full disclosure I read this long time ago but if I was reading a book now this is it.

:saint:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 05:32 PM

wow, sounds like some excellent books out there! I hear the libraries in California are now lending ebooks - anyone know how it works?

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
BajaGuera
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-6-2014 at 05:54 PM

Spent the last five days re-immersed in Outlander and Dragonfly in Amber. Getting ready for the TV program. Ah Jamie - ah men in kilts.
bent-rim
Nomad

Mood: Living la vida mota

[*] posted on 8-7-2014 at 07:20 AM

Just finished Erik Larson's "The Devil in the White City". It's about the 1893 World's Fair in Chicago and America's first serial killer. He writes non fiction that reads like fiction. He only includes materiel that he can document and doesn't make up conversations etc. All of his books are a good read.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2014 at 08:44 AM

If I could only recommend one book, it would be "One River" by Wade Davis. It's a fascinating combination of a biography of the famous ethnobotanist and Amazonian explorer, Richard Evans Shultes, enter twinned with the authors own more recent explorations of the Amazon basin and South America.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2014 at 09:05 AM

"The River of Doubt" by Candice Millard. The story of the adventure exploring a remote Amazon River never traveled before that about did Teddy Roosevelt and his companions in. It has been speculated that he never physically recovered from that one after barely surviving it.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-7-2014 at 09:11 AM

saw a documentary about this once - what an adventure.

Heck,I went to the Amazon when I was 22... huge and humid and full of bizarre animals, insects, and mosquitoes! I can't even imagine how hard a trip it would have been for Roosevelt.

[Edited on 8-7-2014 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2014 at 03:45 PM

I just finished the Last of the Californios by Harry Crosby along with the picture book The Californios by Leland Foerster. I'm starting Angle of Attack, Harrison Storms and the race to the Moon by Mike Gray.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 8-8-2014 at 03:48 PM
Am I in trouble?

Not reading nuthin but my wife is reading 50 Shades of Gray

Bob Durrell
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-8-2014 at 04:27 PM

1. "Margarita Mind", a resource about buying real estate:
http://prestigepropertygrouplapaz.com/download-the-book/
I don't know the author, but she offers a clear summary of definitions, issues and how to avoid avoid problems.,

2. "A Recipe for Bees", a lovely novel about bees and life by G. Anderson-Dargatz.

Great thread, Blanca!

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 8-8-2014 at 05:44 PM

"The Miracle of Mindfulness", by the Vietnamese Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh from exile in France in 1974. Translated into English by Mobi Ho, Thay as he is known for short, extols the value of being mindful down to each breath. I've especially enjoyed practicing his techniques of walking meditation as I walk the beach. Counting steps per breath and rhythmic pacing can empty the mind and melt away the miles.

I have a re-read of Steinbeck's Log from the Sea of Cortez on deck.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2014 at 07:26 AM

vgabndo - that is a really different book you are reading. My mom and her brother just discovered that they both pray as she takes her walks and he takes his jog. My mind is so busy as I walk that I find time flies but I will try the counting steps as I take a breath. That is a great idea.

margarita mind real estate is a brilliant title.

Come visit La Bocana

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.