Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Traveling the entire length of Baja California in a 45 feet RV
Seajet

[*] posted on 8-9-2014 at 10:45 AM
Traveling the entire length of Baja California in a 45 feet RV

I am a total newbie as regards traveling in Mexico. I have put a deposit on a 37 days Baja tour with Fantasy RV in Feb/Mar 2015 . I am traveling in a 45ft RV.
I may even tow a dinghy. Should I be concerned? Furthermore, my RV requires 50 amps to be happy. Already know 50A is pretty much non existing. 30A will do but have read about RV parks offering 20A or less. Can I run my generator in an RV park? All advice will be greatly appreciated.
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2014 at 10:59 AM

your right about 50amp service,, you can pretty much forget it

do your self a favor and invest in a power meter, never assume
so when you do plug in,, you know what it is
traveling with a tour like this is great for first timer,, no need in reinventing the wheel

most RV parks in Baja,, as I remember don't have any rules about running the Gen,, but I would think this would be a question for your tour leader to set down rules on that,, it can really pee others off if your running a gen for hours at a time
do you have solar, might want to think about it
and yes bring a toad, just to many side trips
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2014 at 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by desertcpl
your right about 50amp service,, you can pretty much forget it

do your self a favor and invest in a power meter, never assume
so when you do plug in,, you know what it is
traveling with a tour like this is great for first timer,, no need in reinventing the wheel

most RV parks in Baja,, as I remember don't have any rules about running the Gen,, but I would think this would be a question for your tour leader to set down rules on that,, it can really pee others off if your running a gen for hours at a time
do you have solar, might want to think about it
and yes bring a toad, just to many side trips

Agree with desertcpl on all of the above statements.

I have made numerous trips down with a 43ft tag pulling a toad. The biggest thing I have found on traveling with a rig like that is that it requires 110% concentration on maintaining center of your frequently very narrow lane. This can be difficult as the spectacular scenery you will pass through is tempting to take a road distracting longer look. Many sections of road have absolutely no shoulder and some have a deep drop off that would be a disaster to drop your front wheels over. This is especially true when meeting the many 18wheelers that run 60mph or more and you literally have only a few inches between the truck and shoulder and mirrors when passing. There have been many incidents of wiping out mirrors. Traveling in a rig like that without your drivers side mirror and no way in Baja of replacing it can be a big handicap.
I'm sure the tour leader will point out the things to be cautious of. RV travel is a wonderful way to see Baja and is like moving your personal condo complete with shower, kitchen, refrigerator and king size bed to spectacular beach and desert settings at will. Enjoy the trip.
mikeymarlin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2014 at 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Seajet
I am a total newbie as regards traveling in Mexico. I have put a deposit on a 37 days Baja tour with Fantasy RV in Feb/Mar 2015 . I am traveling in a 45ft RV.
I may even tow a dinghy. Should I be concerned? Furthermore, my RV requires 50 amps to be happy. Already know 50A is pretty much non existing. 30A will do but have read about RV parks offering 20A or less. Can I run my generator in an RV park? All advice will be greatly appreciated.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2014 at 12:37 PM

Is an awesome trip from end to end. Enjoy every minute, it goes fast.
mikeymarlin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2014 at 12:43 PM

hi seajet---- welcome to a great adventure---- feb-march you
should not need 50 amps---run 1 a/c at a time---- 30 amp will get you by---(don't use microwave while a/c in use --)as I know you have been told to stay alert----just think that a truck is coming around the next blind curve-- also at this time of year I hope you take advantage of some whale watching --- check out Sheri--she's on this site a lot--- at guerrero negro---

just remember to have fun and be safe--
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2014 at 02:40 PM

slow day on here

what experience do you have in RVing

your cell phone service will be very spotty at best,, or none at all, so you need to look at that if you need to stay intouch with folks
be carefull when filing up your water tanks and where, a lot of folks will install a quality RO system
you might also consider putting extra fuel filters( I am assuming you have a diesel) bring extra filters and under stand how to change them
one thing I would consider in my medicine cabinet is Lomotil
it will help if you a belly ache. its cheap and easy to get, both sides of the border, but north you have to have a RX.
and make sure your rig is in tip top shape, don't put off maintence until you get back
especially tires

[Edited on 8-9-2014 by desertcpl]
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2014 at 05:02 PM

Please just don't have your caravan in front of me on some of the windy, hilly sections. Ok on the flat straightaways.:lol::lol::lol:
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2014 at 05:11 PM

My friendly advice is stay on your side of the road. And I second what Bajahowodd said.

Other than that....go down with an open mind, relax, and take your time. Enjoy the adventure!

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-9-2014 at 05:24 PM

Leave the Lomotil at home. Brush your teeth with Pacifico.... seriously, the water in Baja is mostly fine for cooking, dishes, etc. Drink purified, it's available everywhere.

Your generator question deserves a response. Consider it more of a 'camping' trip, use ONLY when absolutely necessary. Nobody wants to hear it, even from the 'olden days'... do without your ultimate 'needs', they're only wants. You'll do fine on 20-30 amps if you can do without all your toys going at the same time. Generators make BAD NEIGHBORS.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-9-2014 at 05:29 PM

Stop in Tijuana. Flag down a taxi driver and offer them a paid vacation... $100 a week and he drives your motorhome for you. You get to kick back, take naps, enjoy cold drinks, prepare lunch, etc. Heck, this will also give you a security guard for your coach whenever you are out on an expedition in your toad.. Sounds sublime, no??? :)
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-9-2014 at 07:50 PM

Errm, everyone is quoting towing a 'toad'.... I believe he said 'dinghy' which to my knowledge is a small boat. WTF, over?

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Seajet

[*] posted on 8-9-2014 at 08:09 PM
In some areas a toad is also refered to as a dinghy

I was refering to a toad, though. And thanks for all the responses, so far.

I expect cellular phone and Internet to be far and in-between. But how bad or good is it really? And where do I go to buy a SIM card to have Mexican service?

Thanks!
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2014 at 05:18 AM

How much free time will you have to use the toad? Is it worth the hassle? Backing up, narrow roads etc.
You can get a sim card at most electronic stores, even convenient stores. Telcell gives you the most cell coverage . All towns along hwy 1 have internet, well, most anyhow. Another cell option would be to buy a prepaid phone from Telcel, cheap , easy.
Mirrors should be easily folded inboard and the ` break away` type. Some hywy lanes are only 9 ft wide.
Enjoy your trip, you will be amazed by baja. Have fun!

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2014 at 06:12 AM

you will have the trip of a lifetime. Be sure and keep us updated on your adventures!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-10-2014 at 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Seajet
I expect cellular phone and Internet to be far and in-between. And where do I go to buy a SIM card to have Mexican service?

Thanks!

first sentence above is your answer! basically, any TOWN will have service with a few exceptions. get a sim card in those same towns. you could just use your ATT phone and pay .99/min and keep your calls to a minimum. ATT has the best coverage on the Telcel network.

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2014 at 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willyAirstream
How much free time will you have to use the toad? Is it worth the hassle? Backing up, narrow roads etc.
You can get a sim card at most electronic stores, even convenient stores. Telcell gives you the most cell coverage . All towns along hwy 1 have internet, well, most anyhow. Another cell option would be to buy a prepaid phone from Telcel, cheap , easy.
Mirrors should be easily folded inboard and the ` break away` type. Some hywy lanes are only 9 ft wide.
Enjoy your trip, you will be amazed by baja. Have fun!

I would guess with a trip of 37 days in Baja,, a toad would be a must to fully enjoy their visit,, so looks like some of the stops will be for days at a time,
yes its a pain, but so is a 45' motorhome on HWY 1
Seajet

[*] posted on 8-10-2014 at 10:29 AM

The driving aspects is one area I really would like to learn more about! I am comfortable driving my 45ft bus on 2 lane roads in the USA. But driving the same 2 lane roads in Baja sounds like a demolition derby. I do not want to lose a mirror. At +$300 a piece that would be expensive. On the other hand, I cannot really see driving to be that much more difficult. Otherwise, people would stay away. Then again, at 45ft length and a weight of 54,000 lbs, I am surely in the minority and other RVers may be driving something that is shorter, more nimble and easier to maneuver.
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2014 at 10:40 AM

There are tour groups that stay at Playa Santispac several times during the winter and there are always 10+ long rigs, 45ft +. It is doable. Picture a 2 lane country road in NH with trucks and buses doing 60 and up. Now eliminate the shoulders on the country lane and now you have Mex1. :) Stay alert and you will be fine. Don`t mean to scare you, just giving you a heads up.

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-10-2014 at 11:10 AM

Leave PLENTY of space between rig in front for other vehicles to pass.

It's great for everyone (RVers,local economy,etc.) to get down the peninsula and see all there is but please leave room and slow down when getting passed, that's how we roll. :saint:

Have fun and as Comitan use to say "ho hurry no worry".

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.