BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Traveling the entire length of Baja California in a 45 feet RV
Seajet

[*] posted on 8-13-2014 at 03:06 PM

The width of motorhomes is pretty much dictated by the chassis. Bus conversions, such as ours, start out as an empty shell delivered by the manufacturer. I could imagine a narrow RV would be top heavy and not very stable.
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2014 at 03:27 PM

Airstream tried a 7 ftwide vs 8 ft wide for a few years, but it wasn`t popular.

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2014 at 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Seajet
My bus is all-electric and I do need a minimum of 30A.

Somehow I missed this. If "all-electric" means electric-only fridge and stove, I would not take this bus to Baja. All other loads are manageable on less than 30A if you are reasonable and don't run all the devices at once. A/C you won't need in February, and in March will need it very little. Well, we are going in circles, it seems that everybody agrees that taking this rig there is not a good idea.
Maron
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2014 at 01:40 PM

Not sure how far you will be driving your bus to Calif. If your tour leaves from TJ, there is a great RV Park in Chula Vista. It is on a marina and has two waterfront restaurants within easy walking distance. An added benefit is a secure RV storage lot a couple of miles away ("My Toy Storage"). We have used it once before and were very satisfied.

Peace
Seajet

[*] posted on 8-15-2014 at 07:36 AM

Maron, thanks for the tip, appreciated!
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2014 at 01:58 PM

seajet

if your thinking about buying a Baja rig

you might consider buying one here in Yuma on your way to San Diego
Yuma is a very big snow bird destination, a lot of good buys on used RVs
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2014 at 10:05 AM

You're paying $4000 for this trip? Dude - you can do this trip yourself, add 3 times as many sites and destinations, not be surrounded by RVs with generators, and get to the heart of the people and place that is Baja California - for a fraction of the cost.
Rilly. You don't need a wagonmaster - you need a Baja Adventure book and a couple maps. Just ask your questions here. We'll set up your trip. Use their itinerary - we'll fill in the other "must sees" and you're trip will be epic.
HCR
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2014 at 12:14 PM

When you get back to the USA and pull onto an Interstate, you'll be more blissful than you can imagine. Just saying that after three months pulling a 25 ft. trailer from border to Cabo and back...that's how I felt.

And, strangely, I want to go back this winter.

Use it up, wear it out, make do, or do without.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-19-2014 at 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
You're paying $4000 for this trip? Dude - you can do this trip yourself, add 3 times as many sites and destinations, not be surrounded by RVs with generators, and get to the heart of the people and place that is Baja California - for a fraction of the cost.
Rilly. You don't need a wagonmaster - you need a Baja Adventure book and a couple maps. Just ask your questions here. We'll set up your trip. Use their itinerary - we'll fill in the other "must sees" and you're trip will be epic.

I seriously agree with Wilderone on this! You will see so much more, hear the sound of silence, and get that 'Baja Feeling' we all here crave and what keeps us going back south! An SUV or 4WD truck, a couple of cots for nights without a motel on remote beaches or palm lined canyons or in the shadow of a 300 year old Spanish missions... now there's a Baja experience!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2014 at 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone

I seriously agree with Wilderone on this! You will see so much more, hear the sound of silence, and get that 'Baja Feeling' we all here crave and what keeps us going back south! An SUV or 4WD truck, a couple of cots for nights without a motel on remote beaches or palm lined canyons or in the shadow of a 300 year old Spanish missions... now there's a Baja experience!

Just how many rv's have you taken down? OP wants some comforts that usually come in a motor home.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2014 at 05:59 PM

Seajet...listen to those with RV experience.

David. Quit whining...I haven't been commenting on all your posts. I don't have enough time for that since there is a life outside of the internet.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2014 at 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

David. Quit whining...I haven't been commenting on all your posts. I don't have enough time for that since there is a life outside of the internet.

Oh I wish how that was true... LOL

Seajet, have a great time, but like Cindi (Wilderone) said, you don't need all that to be comfortable and safe. It is just that driving such a big rig on a skinny, elevated highway without pullouts or shoulders will be VERY STRESSFUL!

DSCF0034 copy.jpg - 26kB

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2014 at 06:55 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Seajet, have a great time, but like Cindi (Wilderone) said, you don't need all that to be comfortable and safe. It is just that driving such a big rig on a skinny, elevated highway without pullouts or shoulders will be VERY STRESSFUL!

I wouldn't call everyone a "dude" and some people would rather have those comforts. Seajet have a nice, and safe, trip....there are a lot of RV'rs on this forum who can give you god advise. Just sort out those who have experience from those that don't.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 8-19-2014 at 07:31 PM
wilderone is right on !!

I have met many,many convoy groups over the years and have always felt So sorry for them !!! what a shame !! missing the whole enchalida..and thats coming a rv'r!! to Alaska and back several times,,countless rv and boats to cabo and back and rv & boat to panama and back..so when I say keep it simple and on the smaller side..I Do talk with years of rving.and almost all Baja parks (used loosey) have bad eletrical. unless that changed last week your will find 30A service burning up a lot of units in your rig....K&T
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2014 at 07:48 PM

Right on Dude. I'll start a new thread so as not to destroy this one

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
I have met many,many convoy groups over the years and have always felt So sorry for them !!! what a shame !! missing the whole enchalida..and thats coming a rv'r!! to Alaska and back several times,,countless rv and boats to cabo and back and rv & boat to panama and back..so when I say keep it simple and on the smaller side..I Do talk with years of rving.and almost all Baja parks (used loosey) have bad eletrical. unless that changed last week your will find 30A service burning up a lot of units in your rig....K&T

[Edited on 8-20-2014 by rts551]
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 05:35 PM

Skip the tour, a waste of your money, just get the Traveler's guide to Mexican Camping by Mike and Terri Church, it will tell you everything you need to know, maybe find another RV to travel with and all's good
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2014 at 09:06 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I wouldn't call everyone a "dude" and some people would rather have those comforts. Seajet have a nice, and safe, trip....there are a lot of RV'rs on this forum who can give you god advise. Just sort out those who have experience from those that don't.

Where did I call ANYONE a "dude"???? Just stop quoting me if you can't even read what I type. Thank you.

Quit whining.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2014 at 09:09 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by captkw

What is funny in this thread is that (like me) you agree with Wilderone's idea. What is bizarre is that Ralph agrees with your post agrreing with wilderone but opposes mine that did the same! Aye carumba!

:lol::?::lol:

The comment "Right on dude..." was made facetiously. Sorry it was over your head.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2014 at 09:33 AM

LOL... that's okay Ralph... listen, we need to stop this stuff as it doesn't entertain the Nomads that much. I will be in Tucson this weekend for my granddaughter's 4th birthday. Maybe see you around and let's have a beer?

rocmoc
Nomad

Mood: Live today like it maybe your LAST!

[*] posted on 8-21-2014 at 12:12 PM

Seajet, go on Youtube and search "Baja RV" & another one of "Baja Driving". Watch the videos, then enjoy your trip!

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.