BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: If you could give 1 peace of advice to a person going to Baja for the first time . what would it be.
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2004 at 08:25 PM

tucker you are right on, there are too many gringos trying to save the mexicans from them self. its there country so let them run it!!!!. i like it the way it is but when the local gringo thinks that they own the beach in front of them and close it of for the local mexican familly then its time for the feds to get involved. we dont own mex so lets not try. :coolup:
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-18-2004 at 10:29 PM

Take one "illegal" under each arm with them when they go down there.....:o
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 12-19-2004 at 03:33 PM

And Take one "illegal" Gringo under each arm with them when they go Back to the U.S.A.....

we have lots of people living .working here with out papers to do so also.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

tim40
Senior Nomad

Mood: There yet?

[*] posted on 12-19-2004 at 04:00 PM

Don't over plan...leave time to explore what presents itself.
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2004 at 04:03 PM

If you come to a fork in the road take it

Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2004 at 06:42 PM

Don't ride your bicycle on Mex Hwy 1!

Now those people are REALLY nutz!:O
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2004 at 06:52 PM
You would not believe

how many of these people I see. One of the most dangerous places on the whole trip is between Rosarito and Ensenada because of the bars.
I think that many people have started, realized what they were getting into on that stretch, and decided to take up lawn bowling or something sensible!!:lol:
At least I hope so.:no:
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2004 at 07:08 PM

Looks OK to me......:saint:
expat2B
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2004 at 07:43 PM
do a little homework beforehand

Read up on the customs, history, geography, etc. beforehand, and do your darndest to master even a few simple Spanish phrases. The Bajacalifornianos are appreciative and patient with even the humblest attempt to speak their language. With the limited insights of a first-time visitor, I think the true wealth of BCS is not so much the stunning scenery (which is self-evident, IMHO) but the people. I expressed this in admittedly primitive Spanish on several occasions, and received the greatest collection of smiles/hugs/handshakes a person could ever ask for.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2004 at 09:08 PM
Kinda like

visiting most "third world" countries and even rural america, a long, long time ago.:no:
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 12-19-2004 at 10:18 PM
Expat...

I like your reply. Especially as it relates to using the language. I think my Espanol really sucks, but I work on it almost every day for a little while, and constantly when I'm in Mexico, and my hosts compliment me all the time. It makes it really clear to me HOW LITTLE the LAST guy had bothered to learn if they think I'M well spoken.

Learn more than "pocito", it will GREATLY increase the depth and quality of your experience of our Mexican brothers and sisters.
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-19-2004 at 11:52 PM

I would suggest buying traveler's checks, even if you don't intend to use them. I'd keep them visible with the token amount of visible money on hand. If somebody tries to get your money via foul play, you can say, "Sure, I'll give you all my money, but you will first need to tell me in whose name to write these traveler's checks." Hide your real cash in different locations, such as some in each shoe and so forth.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-20-2004 at 12:42 AM

Don't panic at the military checkpoints (unless you were so stupid to bring pot or guns into Mexico).

Remember: you are in a Latin American republic that honors Napolionic laws (gulity until proven innocent)! So, soak up the atmosphere, smile at those 17 year old kids with the Belgium machine guns hanging from their necks, remember they need no search warrant...

Does any of this scare you? If yes, then stay out of Baja! If no, then you have a sense of adventure and Baja is the place for you! See my web site for trip ideas...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2004 at 09:40 AM

No tire basura. Beer cans, diapers, cigarette butts, styrofoam plates/cups, MoHome toilet contents, etc. We thank you.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2004 at 10:04 AM
And on that note

For the boaters, plastic 6 pak holders, fishing lure packages, and motor oil containers are the most common annoyance on the beaches I go to.
Please don't do that.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2004 at 12:55 PM

Never, ever, relieve yourself in public, no matter how bad you have to go, and especially if you're carrying your wife's purse. Trust me on this.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2004 at 01:19 PM

Leave your attitude at home and enjoy the simplicity of life.

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2004 at 07:46 PM
HUH??????

"Speak Spanish" unless you are talking to a cop or check point (then forget any word you have ever learned)

"Don't relieve yourself in public" unless you are "P"ing in a pot hole (you might want to fill it up for a smoother ride for the next guy) :saint:

"Don't panic at a checkpoint when they ask you, (unless you are stupid enough to bring guns or 'drugs') (Pot) Just say "yes, do you want to see?" If you happen to be a really young "hippie looking" kid and have drums (not drugs) in the back......the shocked look on their faces and the laughing is worth the misunderstanding!

I have a feeling that those guys are still telling that story.....I don't think they have ever gotten a "yes" to that question before. :biggrin:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-20-2004 at 09:20 PM
Speaking Spanish

This is the second or third time I have heard someone that has had a few vacations here talk about who you should speak Spanish to.:?:
This is Mexico!
Enough said!:light:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-20-2004 at 10:01 PM

I agree with JR on that one... I always speak my limited espa?ol to the military boys or policia... why not? I think they can tell if you are not fluent... I cannot think of any reason not to be good ambassadors to these kids in the middle of the desert and practice speaking Spanish with them.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.