BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Hughes Net Help in Mulege??
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2014 at 08:12 AM
Hughes Net Help in Mulege??

Okay I have done all I can do and talked to many techs. My friend Bob has suggested I change Satellites to SM7 or 8. I need someone that can get the authorization and aim the dish. Anyone in the know?

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-14-2014 at 11:24 AM

your friend is WRONG...

satmex8 is a spot beam...new sat

you need satmex5 or satmex6

but hughes is not allowing service people to change sats right now to these sats...
you upgrade to gen4 or nothing

if you are on satmex5 now...maybe they moved you over to satmex8 and are spot beaming you

satmex8 is right behind satmex5 and is scheduled to take over satmex5's transponders

the older satmex6 is still online

which sat are you on now

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
joel
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2014 at 11:41 AM

I thought it was impossible to get authorization for anything now days with a 7000 series. I have a system in San Juanico and the modem somehow got decommissioned (even though I've been paying the bill) and I can't figure out how to get it operational again.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2014 at 12:20 PM

I'm on 95W and I think it's a really old one because I've had it for around 12 years now. After all the calls I no longer am able to open the Hughes window and don't have trans, Recv or System lights. Thanks for the info on SM8 I'm sure it was a brain fart on his part. I'll just have to be patient and see what happens. B&S Do you think I should cancel my service? Or wait awhile?

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2014 at 01:07 PM

if you cancel service you'll never get hughes like this again...they wont assign you to a mexico sat

my neighbor was on 95w and it was shrinking last year...they only got morning service...no afternoons...they may have moved the sat a little and you're out of the footprint...

at that time I took her modem to the usa and had a tech there call and assign her to satmex6...so far so good
the tech had a antenna at home and plugged in the modem...made a call and it worked...here Mario aimed the antenna

you said you had a 57 signal strength...you only need 50 to log on

Hughes cut off your service on their end...they just have to "flip a switch" and its on again

you have to keep calling and calling...use this number 1-866-347-3292

our website is:
alacran
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2014 at 10:03 PM

Get SKY, at around $ 45 a month. No problem they come from Sta. Rosalia.
Pick your program, pay about $ 700 pesos a year for maintanence, removal or intallation.
No problema.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2014 at 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by alacran
Get SKY, at around $ 45 a month. No problem they come from Sta. Rosalia.
Pick your program, pay about $ 700 pesos a year for maintanence, removal or intallation.
No problema.

sky is tv service...

this is about internet service where there is no Mexican service

our website is:
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2014 at 08:25 AM

Russ, I will talk to you today.

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2014 at 09:01 AM

Russ, we found out Lynne's system must have gotten blasted with a lightning strike. I am putting up a working radio arm this morning and will know for sure that is it. I do have a working modem and cable if I find a problem there.

Here is the issue. You do not want to cancel your old contract with Hughes net, as the only way to get hooked back up is to use El Dorado Satellite from Placerville as they have some different type of contract that allows them to install Hughes net 7000 systems here in Baja but the price is higher than what you are paying now for less bandwidth.

You need to find a working arm and radio and I am not sure the one I gave you is working. It should be fairly easy to aim at the new satellite which is SatMEx8 / Eutelsat117. I have the coordinates for that. Once aimed and set up with a strong enough signal, then it is a call to customer service to get them to change from your old satellite aim. But it is very important to make sure you have a good aim.

There is an installer for Baja Satellite in Loreto but we run into the same situation there in terms of needing a functional radio, arm, and horn.

I will try to swing by when I finish Lynne's system this morning.

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-15-2014 at 10:36 AM

That's great news. I have a new arm with all new parts installed so I don't think it's the radio. Good luck setting up Lynnie's. Maybe you can teach me how to aim at a different Sat.

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2014 at 08:08 AM

I stopped by, but I think you were in the cold man cave. I had a signal strength of 60 here at my house, hauled the new radio arm to Chivato and could only get 15. So I check both radio arms and get the same signal. Now I am really pulling out what little hair I have left. Return home to San Bruno and I only got 15 here. I am pretty convinced the problem she is having is the modem and I may be able to confirm that this morning. Sure would be easier in the US where you could know for certain your part was working.

So, you indicated you have 60 strength. Is that on 95W?

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2014 at 09:32 AM

Sig strength 55+/- while I could get some lights on the modem. Now no rcv, tran or system lights. Nada, nunca, nothing:fire: I think after my last conversation with the tech he pulled the plug on me. I need to get more time on the phone and try from a different direction.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2014 at 03:13 PM

loss of signal in the afternoon is the problem with russ's sat 95w
morning signal only

the radios and arms very seldom go out...in the beginning 12 years ago they did rust up a little but the newer units are ok

if russ really needs one I have one for him here

russ cannot change sats...no way

an installer has a different number and code for assistance than the customer
an installer is the ONLY person that can change sats and he has to be smart enough to talk his way thru it...
the installer may need to change transponders before it works

russ needs now to "recomission the modem" and see if that works

russ do you know how to do that...
and do it in the morning when you know the signal is strong

if that doesn't work you should take the modem north to an installer and have him "set it up"

I've done this (a pain) a couple of times

our website is:
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2014 at 07:08 PM

Yep, changed everything including a new modem to test the signal and cross pol. I was the same. This isn't the first time I've changed out equipment but it has prove the most difficult. Like I mentioned earlier after my last talk with the tech I lost my signal completely. I don't think I should have told him I wanted to speak with some one above his supervisor. But after dealing for over a half hour with him what else could I do? I really wanted to hang him by his turban. I find that a bit offensive too but after dealing with 6 Indians and one American and the only one who tried to help was the American..... Hughes REALLY needs better quality helpers! I now have more time on my phone and will try a different approach tomorrow. I don't have plans to go North until after the new year.

BCSTech
Senior Nomad

Mood: Carpe Manana

[*] posted on 8-16-2014 at 09:39 PM

I just happened to stumble on this topic and saw my company mentioned.

Is this Lynne Weiser's system you're working on?

I'll try to help sort out a few questions and add some corrections.

There is no SatMex 7; just SatMex 6 and 8 (no, I don't know what happened to 7 :)

SatMex 8 (Now Eutelsat 117) replaced SatMex 5 in the same location at 117° W. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satmex_8

SM8 may have some spot beams but it mainly uses continental beams which cover Mexico, just as did SatMex 5. SM8 already took over SM5's HughesNet traffic last year. This was pretty transparent and most users never noticed. Actually, if any satellite is behind the other, it's SM5 that was pushed out behind SM8. That's what they do with "retired" satellites; push them into a higher orbit to get them out of the way.

You don't have to upgrade to Gen4 (it won't work anywhere S.O.B.). You can still get HN residential service accounts in Mexico for 0.74 meter/1-watt systems using HN7000s Modems only (no DW6000 or even DW7000 modems). These are "VAR" accounts, not directly from HN but through HN VARs (Value Added Resellers). Yes, they're more expensive than the older residential plans but the speeds and the daily data transfer allowances are higher.

VAR Service Plans --- Max Speed Dn/Up --- Dly Xfer Max Dn/Up --- Mo. Fee
Internet Access 100 - 1.0 Mbps/200 Kbps - 375 MB / 50 MB ------- $ 89/mo.
Internet Access 200 - 1.5 Mbps/300 Kbps - 500 MB / 75 MB ------- $149/mo.
Internet Access 300 - 2.0 Mbps/500 Kbps - 1,250MB /100MB ------ $225/mo.

And, yes, you can change sats. But it takes an HN-certified installer working with a Tier II HN Tech to make it happen. As a consumer, you won't get very far.

If HN "pulls the plug" on an account, you'll still have a RECEIVE and TRANSMIT light, just no SYSTEM light. No Receive or Transmit light indicates a mechanical or electrical problem with the system itself, not the account.

Loss of signal in the afternoon is different than loss of service in the afternoon. If you're losing signal in the afternoon then you most likely have something failing with the gear; moisture inside the feedhorn, radio, cables or connectors heating up, or the radio or modem having heat-sensitive failure. Radios can and do fail. They're especially vulnerable in Baja because of the heat.

Damage from lightning - I've seen Many HN systems installed in Baja with no grounding. If the dish isn't properly grounded, it can actually build up a static charge across the dish face, and attract lightning strikes.

You don't have to haul gear north to get it working, but you do need a working system and someone who knows what they're doing.

You can't just slap a modem that was commissioned on one satellite onto a system that's pointed at a different satellite and have it work.

If a radio/feed horn and modem work on one system but not another one pointed on the same satellite, then there's something wrong with the cables or connectors, or the dish pointing is off. Also, power supplies can be bad so make sure you're testing both the modem and power supply as one unit, then swap power supplies to see if you get a different result.

OK that's (more than) enough for now...

[Edited on 8-17-2014 by BCSTech]

Alan Thompson

El Dorado Networks

News For The Left Coast of Baja:
The Baja Western Onion
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 05:38 AM

I'm a near neighbor of Lynnie but her system is down too. She only has power strength of 20+/- and Jim has been working on it. Also Mario. I believe he has contacted you or is trying to. Any ideas why suddenly my lights have gone out on two modems? How do I readjust the dish without lights? When are you coming to this area? All help is appreciated MUCHO.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 06:17 AM

russ...drive your modem to bcstech in the states wherever he is...just do it

get him to call and switch you to satmex6
(there is a building and a tree in the way)

this is your solution

Mario can re-aim the antenna later

drive buddy ...DRIVE

our website is:
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 06:26 AM

bcstech, Maybe I can have some one take it (the modem) up and mail it to you? and then you could mail it back and someone could bring it back? I have two. could you service both and flag the one to be used? Or... if you have a modem you can set up for me a friend is coming down in a week or two.
russinbaja@mac.com

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 07:10 AM

Okay, Alan Thompson at BCS TEch is the only one I know of at this point who is working on Hughes Net in the Baja. He is not only very knowledgable, but has first hand knowledge of what is going on in Baja which is very important. Calling Hughes on your own, as Bob Frambes has mentioned several times, is a waste of time and a real frustration. If you sign up with Alan, then he is able to service, repair, and consult, but if you are not one of his clients, then you can hardly expect him to spend the time trying to get your broken system up and going.

During the winter, Bob Henderson, an independent installer, worked with Alan to put in some systems and did a very good job. He installed Lynne Weiser's system and it worked very well up to the time she must have gotten a lighting strike. Now I am working with Alan over the internet to try to find a solution of what is broken so that we can try to fix the system and not have to wait till Sept or October till Bob returns. I do not pretend to be an installer or pretend that I have any but a basic working knowledge of what is going on with any of these systems, but I used to help my friend Wayne Davy who was an installer in our area, Sad to say he passed away and left us helpless. His stepson was very good in helping Wayne but has now taken a good job with Boleo.
So, Alan at BCS, whose main office is in Placerville, Ca, is the man who can get you equipment, knowledge and expertise.

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 07:38 AM

I'll be happy to sign on with Alan when he returns.

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.