BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Careful at La Linea. Civil forfeiture.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-16-2014 at 06:33 PM

How about some specifics on this? Where when and how was your right to travel impinged? Sounds like another generic cop out to me....

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 8-16-2014 at 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by danaeb
For those of you who feel that your freedoms and liberties have been take away, what specific freedoms have you, personally lost, and when did you lose them?

Here's a good start...

Americans Have Lost VIRTUALLY ALL of Our Constitutional Rights

There is a lot more but at least read this page and its links before simply dismissing this out of hand and then we can have a more in depth discussion...

[Edited on 8-17-2014 by BajaGringo]
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2014 at 09:49 PM

"New technologies are radically advancing our freedoms but they are also enabling unparalleled invasions of privacy."

https://www.eff.org/issues/privacy

Intrusion into our private lives via digital technologies is a huge mainstream issue these days.
singleshot

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 04:00 PM

http://tenthamendmentcenter.com/
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tioloco
Rts-

I am not bemoaning anything.
I am realistic that a nanny state will leave your grandchildren with a lot less opportunity available than what our parents had. I am all for personal responsibility.
Unfortunately, ] think I will have to tell you in the future, "I told ya so".....
But by then, it will probably be too late.

[URL=http://s252.photobucket.com/user/durrellrobert/media/fotuneteller_zpsa037e646.png.html][/URL

Bob Durrell
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 04:30 PM

Durrell-
Check that. I know I will have to say "I told you so!"
Wake up, please.
Thank u
Chupacabra
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cisco

San Onofre checkpoint on Hwy 5. That was the first one I ever saw internally (that wasn't a DUI set up or like that).

(mid-late 70's) I was driving a Lincoln Town Car (large car) and we were stopped at San Onofre, pulled aside and "papers please".

Wow. You claim to have lost ALL your Constitutional rights and the only example you can come up with is some half-baked story about being asked for "papers" at San Onofre in the 1970's? I've crossed that immigration checkpoint literally hundreds of times and never heard of such a thing from anyone except you. Odd...

In truth, most Libertopians are people with victim mentalities. They like to pretend they are victimized by the government and scour the Internet for stories that feed their victim mentality. When asked for specifics of how they are victimized, they almost always fall back on silly examples such as this.

WTF
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-18-2014 at 07:20 PM
Oh, no!!!

http://www.cbs8.com/story/26310845/agents-seize-more-than-60...

SAN CLEMENTE (CBS 8) – Border Patrol agents have seized more than $600,000 worth of drugs at the San Clemente checkpoint over the last week.

Last Thursday, agents inspecting a dodge ram truck reported finding 16 plastic bundles hidden underneath the tailgate. Four were filled with methamphetamine, and the other 12 tested positive for cocaine. The drugs were worth more than $440,000

The next day, agents inspecting a Chevrolet Malibu found several bundles of marijuana in the car's trunk, front and rear bumpers and under a blanket in the backseat. The marijuana had an estimated street value of $216,000.

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2014 at 08:31 PM

Hey Cisco--- I`m up for that road trip. We can go in my beater van, all I ask is I do the driving and talking if and when we are contacted by the BP. I know some cool places along that route, and love getting out there!! And you don`t need to sponsor me!!
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2014 at 10:14 PM

If you think this only happens to people who are involved in criminal activity, you might want to read this 2010 study:

Policing for Profit: The Abuse of Civil Asset Forfeiture is the most comprehensive national study to examine the use and abuse of civil asset forfeiture and the first study to grade the civil forfeiture laws of all 50 states and the federal government.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/30294020/Policing-For-Profit-The-A...
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2014 at 08:47 AM

http://www.economist.com/blogs/economist-explains/2014/04/ec...

emphasis added

"This is a procedure known as "civil-asset forfeiture". Unlike criminal forfeiture, in which prosecutors seize the proceeds of criminal activity as punishment for a crime, civil-asset forfeiture does not require a conviction or even a criminal charge: in fact, a study by Henry Hyde, a Republican former congressman, and the Cato Institute, a libertarian think-tank, found that 80% of people whose property was seized by the federal government were never charged with a crime."

"Though civil-asset forfeiture has a long history, it took off in America following passage of some amendments to the Comprehensive Drug Abuse and Prevention Act in 1984 that allowed police to keep and spend forfeiture proceeds. This gave law-enforcement agencies a direct financial incentive to take more stuff, and led to what the Institute for Justice (IJ), a libertarian law firm, calls "policing for profit". In 1986 the federal Asset Forfeiture Fund took in $93.7m; by September 2013 the Fund held more than $2 billion in net assets."

[Edited on 8-19-2014 by SFandH]
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.