BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Home for Elderly Gentlemen another secret donor and request for photos!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2015 at 01:39 PM

Because a nomad contacted me and is going to deliver some food soon, I thought it was time to bump this thread up so those headed south don't forget --- please remember, every little bit of food helps!

Penny is back home in Baja and all is going well. There is a new caretaker and Jose Luis really needed to spend more time with his young family. But Penny says the new caretaker is great.

And the doctor from town that Penny recruited is still donating his time to visit the men once a week.

For direct contact, do e-mail Penny. freelandib222@live.com

She loves to meet everyone and thank them, and if anyone prefers to have the thanks not be public, that is okay.

Just a few big Costco cans help --- so on your way south, PLEASE drop by. Every one who had stopped there so far has been glad they did.

Thank you ---- On edit, Penny is working to have a facebook page for this home --- a good thing.

[Edited on 1-27-2015 by DianaT]
jbcoug
Senior Nomad

Mood: Needing Baja!

[*] posted on 1-27-2015 at 03:01 PM

Thanks Diana for bumping this thread back up. I will be coming through about the fourth or fifth of Feb. and dropping some things off. I knew I could find it, but I hadn't been able to find this thread again so wasn't sure of exact location. I just made a Costco run yesterday and can't wait to visit. This is such a great cause. Thanks again for brining them to our attention!

\"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.\" Andy Rooney
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2015 at 03:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by jbcoug  
Thanks Diana for bumping this thread back up. I will be coming through about the fourth or fifth of Feb. and dropping some things off. I knew I could find it, but I hadn't been able to find this thread again so wasn't sure of exact location. I just made a Costco run yesterday and can't wait to visit. This is such a great cause. Thanks again for brining them to our attention!

That is fantastic! If you can and if you want to meet Penny, please e-mail her at freelandib222@live.com. I put it here again because I did not make the one in the above post a link. :-)

And for everyone, there is always someone there, so just stopping and leaving items is good at any time, any day.

With the new sign, it is really easy to find.

They are working on building a chicken coop which will be a great addition --- fresh eggs.

THANKS again! :yes::yes:

On edit --- I forgot, a picture of the new sign in not in this thread

People from New Beginnings in Vicente Guerrero helped with this addition.

[Edited on 1-27-2015 by DianaT]
CaboMagic
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2015 at 07:35 PM

Clicking the LIKE button :-)
and a Bravo too Diana and Peggy and everyone who finds it in their hearts to do something .. anything ... L

Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2015 at 07:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by CaboMagic  
Clicking the LIKE button :-)
and a Bravo too Diana and Peggy and everyone who finds it in their hearts to do something .. anything ... L

Clicking the "Like" is very nice, but I would rather click a Paypal button.....

I have been in La Paz since November and would have liked to send some money to the elderly men for Christmas, but Penny does not want to get involved with money.
You have to find a way, to make that happen. A click of a Paypal button is much easier, than doing a turn at the new sign. especially for those Nomads, which rarely are crossing the border lately.

Karl
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-27-2015 at 07:47 PM

or try crowdfunding....

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2015 at 07:52 PM

Karl,
I will continue to work on Penny. I know I had to wait until she was back in the states visiting her mother to send her a check. I have deposited funds for others into her account, but there is not a branch of her bank near here. I had to wait until we made one of our regular trips to Reno. I will give this more and more thought!

Woody, I have never heard of crowdfunding, but I will check it out! Thanks. I am guessing it is like go fund it. I have contributed to go fund it causes, but I need to check how they work.

[Edited on 1-28-2015 by DianaT]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2015 at 08:39 AM

Does she have an account in Mexico Diana?

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2015 at 08:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Does she have an account in Mexico Diana?

No, unfortunately.

We have been on the road all day, so I will now share these comments with Penny.

Blanca, before you said you had a short video of the home from when you were there? I would love to see it!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2015 at 05:49 PM

Penny and Murray just are not comfortable with setting up a pay-pal account and they do not have a Mexican account. I can understand their concerns.

I did deposit funds into her US account for someone else, but sometimes it takes time. We are usually in the Carson City area where the branch of her back is about every 6 weeks or so. The list of doctors we see is growing with age.

Now in person, that is different. A nomad on his way south stopped by there today and left a very, very generous cash donation. I only know the amount and the first name, but I won't publish it without that nomad's permission.

We do enjoy it when someone posts that they have been there and tells their first hand impression of the place and the people involved. However, that is a choice and I understand. Meantime

THANK YOU, THANK YOU. As one can imagine, they go through food rapidly --- lots of mouths to feed and since the doctor is seeing them once a week, they are healthier.

And remember there is no such thing as a small donation --- EVERYTHING counts. :bounce::bounce:

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 1-30-2015 at 06:36 PM

Thank you for letting us know about this place Diana, Penny and Murray are doing God's work. I strongly encourage anybody traveling north or south to stop by and visit, it's only a short detour.

It would really be something if they had a Facebook page with a paypal link for donations. If someone there posted pictures and updates from time to time they would get a lot of help. I know they aren't computer people but perhaps a local high school kid could help them out. It probably wouldn't take much.

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2015 at 07:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  
Thank you for letting us know about this place Diana, Penny and Murray are doing God's work. I strongly encourage anybody traveling north or south to stop by and visit, it's only a short detour.

It would really be something if they had a Facebook page with a paypal link for donations. If someone there posted pictures and updates from time to time they would get a lot of help. I know they aren't computer people but perhaps a local high school kid could help them out. It probably wouldn't take much.

Well, the mystery Dave appears! THANKS food shopping going on!

BajaGringo is going to help them with the facebook page and we hope to get down soon to help to take more photos --- although Penny has several and I know BajaBlanca took a video I hope to see and maybe they can use that.

Penny will be able to post updates and hopefully, others will post updates. And believe me, I will let everyone know about the facebook page.

Dave, they are just not comfortable with the paypal idea. However, we are looking at maybe a way to get cash donations thru New Beginnings in Vicente Guerrero ( home for abused women and children with which my sister is involved. ) We will see --- I will continue to work on it.

It was not so long ago Penny and Murray found this place, and it is a continuing work in progress. It is really great that you posted and encouraged others to visit, see the home, meet the gentlemen, the caretakers and Penny and Murray. THANK YOU and THANK YOU

This is such an ongoing project! And we so very much THANK everyone from nomads who has donated ANYTHING and who has stopped by. I have not heard from anyone who is sorry they did!

[Edited on 1-31-2015 by DianaT]
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2015 at 09:24 PM

Latest update for the beginning of Feb.

John (jbcoug ) delievered a donation and Penny really enjoyed meeting him as did all the gentlemen. THANK YOU John, and I hope you will post some of the pictures you took! And it is good to hear you continued on to deliver donations to Blanca --- GREAT going.

Two possible cash donations may be on their way to me --- and yes, they will end up with Penny and used for the home.

Another nomad will be there this week.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you all. All the help that has come from nomads has really made a difference in the lives of these men.

Keep it up! :bounce::bounce:
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2015 at 06:15 PM

Another secret donor! Mark, who ever you are, we all say a big thank you!

Still hoping for Blanca's video and other pictures taken by the wonderful donors.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 2-18-2015 at 05:21 PM

For those of you on facebook...

Casa Hogar de Ancianos

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2015 at 08:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGringo  
For those of you on facebook...

Casa Hogar de Ancianos

Yes, and it is a work in progress --- it is a beginning! And please, anyone who wishes to do so, please add comments about your visit to the home, and of course, pictures.

So far about a dozen plus Nomads have responded and provided assistance for this home --- and each and every one of you are so appreciated. Penny has loved meeting several of you, and I have loved hearing the feedback from you about Penny and Murray and what they are doing! They are special people. Keep it going, PLEASE.

And please remember, there is no such thing as a donation too small!

More on the facebook page later.

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.