BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Home for Elderly Gentlemen another secret donor and request for photos!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2014 at 12:11 PM
Home for Elderly Gentlemen another secret donor and request for photos!

Yes, I know that there are so many worthy causes in Baja and so many who live and travel there are very generous and probably a bit tapped out. But I wanted to throw this one out as for obvious reasons, I have a soft spot in my heart for the elderly in need.

If you live near San Jacinto, Baja, or if you are traveling down Baja, and if you want to provide some help for 10 elderly men and their young caretakers, it would be greatly appreciated.

Good friends of ours who were neighbors at one time, Murray and Penny Freeland, live full time just north of Camalu out near the shipwreck. (They originally moved to Bahia de Los Angeles, but they did not care for the summers) They have discovered a Care facility in San Jacinto that is not receiving support from anywhere. It is the home of a young couple and their 4 year old daughter who are providing full care for 10 elderly men whose families cannot support. They started with caring for a grandfather, and then one of his friends, and now have 10 elderly men who need care.

Our friends say the place is spotless and the men are well cared for with lots of respect. The young couple are doing their best to provide it all. Our friends have started trying to do what they can --- including taking and sharing a spaghetti dinner with all of them. They say that if they just stop by to say hello, the men are so happy.
They, of course, could use help with clothes, medicine, food,toiletries, paper products and other necessities.

Thus, if you are interested in helping a bit, here is the contact information, you can U2U me and I will give you their contact information.

I can assure you that Penny and Murray are wonderful people who are always the first to help everyone as much as they can. BTW-- Penny says that this young couple and the men ask for nothing. But they sure could use some help and she also said they love visitors.

[Edited on 2-9-2015 by DianaT]
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 8-16-2014 at 07:00 PM

Very moving to see what some folks do for others Diana. In a time of such hopelessness and hatred these are the stories that lift us up. In our busy lives it's easy to forget that eventually we will all need a hand.
Are they out on the point or in town or ?

Thanks, Lionel
TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2014 at 08:06 PM

After the Baja 500 we stopped in at the Casa Ancianos you mention here. I didn't know the story about the place but we figured they could use some food. We had quite a bit of stuff leftover after camping nearby for the race and decided to try and help out. When we helped carry the food inside we saw that the fridge was nearly empty.

We were glad to be able to help even a little bit and I encourage anyone to take the short drive off the highway (maybe 3/4 of a mile) and help these folks out. Just head west at the Shipwreck sign and the home will be on your right just as you get to the village.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TecateRay
After the Baja 500 we stopped in at the Casa Ancianos you mention here. I didn't know the story about the place but we figured they could use some food. We had quite a bit of stuff leftover after camping nearby for the race and decided to try and help out. When we helped carry the food inside we saw that the fridge was nearly empty.

We were glad to be able to help even a little bit and I encourage anyone to take the short drive off the highway (maybe 3/4 of a mile) and help these folks out. Just head west at the Shipwreck sign and the home will be on your right just as you get to the village.

TecateRay, yes that is the place! Our friends rent a home out by the beach.

One person asked about sending things by bus, and yes, Penny and or Murray will pick up any package. Penny will be in the states from Aug. 2 to Sept. 16th, but Murray will be there. Again, if someone wants to help through them, U2U me for their phone number. They are doing all they can, and trying to help with electricity, propane, water, etc., but they are on a limited budget.

Or as TecateRay did, just take the short trip off the main highway, visit and drop off what you can. Yesterday, Penny said they took them all popsicles and the men were really happy.

Here is a list that Penny sent me of some of their needs, besides food; clothing, mostly size medium, shoes, paper product, depends, personal hygiene wipes, towels, sheets, medication, cleaning supplies, etc.

She also said that if people just wanted to stop by and visit, they appreciate that too! Oh, maybe toys and clothes for their 4 year old daughter would be nice! The mother works, but supplying the necessities for 10 people is a lot.

Thanks for the inquiries, everything will be appreciated!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 08:33 PM

A couple of people asked me about cash donations. Penny and Murray do not have a paypal account, but since Penny will be in the states for more than a week after August 26. I do have a mailing address for her where a check could be sent.

And to ward off the naysayers, she will provide details as to where the money is spent.

U2U if your are interested, or again, if you want to do a totally direct donation, just take a tiny detour off the main highway to help out some deserving people.

Edited to correct date.

[Edited on 8-18-2014 by DianaT]
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 09:14 PM

How about some more specific directions, like KM markers from ? Sounds like a worthwhile place to stop, specially for us old guys...Thanks..

danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 09:50 PM

I'm in San Diego and am more than willing to donate items, if anyone is passing through on their way south.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2014 at 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
How about some more specific directions, like KM markers from ? Sounds like a worthwhile place to stop, specially for us old guys...Thanks..

The turnoff is a couple of miles north of Camalu, between Km 150 and 149 and is easy to spot as there is a sign that says El Barco -- it is the road out to the Shipwreck.

As TecateRey said, it is about 3/4 miles to the beginning of the town and Casa Ancianos is on the right hand side of the road at the beginning of town. I have not been there yet, but hope to visit. I hope you do stop by and visit --- Penny says they just love the company.

Quote:
Originally posted by danaeb
I'm in San Diego and am more than willing to donate items, if anyone is passing through on their way south.

I hope someone will respond to this. I am currently grounded as I am recovering from knee surgery and may need another one!

Penny is traveling by bus and will be full from some donations she is getting from family she is visiting.

So if anyone is willing to take any donations down, they can either take the short side trip out there and personally deliever the goods, or I am sure Murray and or Penny would meet you at the highway and I can give you their phone number.

THANKS to both of you for thinking about this, and thanks to the people who have sent u2us.

:yes::yes:
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2014 at 05:42 PM

Just wanted to pass on some more detailed information about this place for anyone who is interested in visiting to see what it is all about. I know that it is easier to donate to something one sees in person.

Casa Hogar Para Ancianos
Rancho Los Amigos A.C.
Ubicado cn Mesa de San Jacinto
Delegacion de Camalu
House phone...616 159 2894
Jose Luis Romero Alva...cell 616 163 3067 wife Angela

And again, thanks for the U2Us :yes:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-19-2014 at 05:53 PM

I bet if Cameron Steele knew about this he could help... He knows the place, since he used the shipwreck there as a photo op for his upcoming CBS Sports TV special 'Trail of Missions'?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-19-2014 at 06:15 PM

Cameron reads Nomad! :light:

I will email him a link to this thread, as well!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-19-2014 at 06:18 PM

Quote:

depending on what you have we will be passing by this Friday. 1.5 mile detour is okay and it'll reinforce to my grown son the importance of helping others. U2U me details.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2014 at 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
Quote:

depending on what you have we will be passing by this Friday. 1.5 mile detour is okay and it'll reinforce to my grown son the importance of helping others. U2U me details.

I hope that works out! Please let us know. I can't wait to visit this place.

And to the Nomad who is sending our friend a check, you are an angel. :saint:

[Edited on 9-24-2014 by DianaT]
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 01:56 PM

In talking with the people at the home, this is just a simple sample list of some well needed items --- as you can imagine, they go through these items rather quickly.

Gauze squares. For wound cleaning
Iodine
Rubber gloves
Cough syrup
Depends...mens medium
Wheel chair pads
Alcohol
Shampoo
Bath soap
Razors
Laundry soap

I would add toilet paper as it is so expensive in Baja --- OUr friends took them a small first aid kit, and I am sure they could use more.

Just adding to the list above --- I just think about what we need to run our household and add things that are for the elderly --- more elderly than we are. :-)

For those who have sent u2u's, and are working on ways to visit and or help, you are wonderful. :-)
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 05:38 PM

we have BOXES of TP left over at work as we near the end of this job. i'll donate a small forest! My son is meeting Dana tomorrow.

Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 06:07 PM

Nice work Woody. Safe trails amigo.

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 06:29 PM

Thank you for this post, It seems like a good cause, Maybe I bring them some tuna:lol::lol: Usually non perishables are better or personal stuff. Please let us know what they can use.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
we have BOXES of TP left over at work as we near the end of this job. i'll donate a small forest! My son is meeting Dana tomorrow.

FANTASTIC --- :bounce::bounce:

Quote:
Originally posted by MMc
Thank you for this post, It seems like a good cause, Maybe I bring them some tuna:lol::lol: Usually non perishables are better or personal stuff. Please let us know what they can use.

Can goods are always a good idea! My friend says that everything is needed -- blankets, towels, personal hygiene items, and all the things mentioned above. Most of the clothing she says would probably be in the medium size --- underwear is always needed.

My friend, Penny also asked the couple what they could use for themselves and their 4 year old child, and they said they it was more important that the needs of the elderly men are met. In fact, they never asked for ANYTHING at all. A teddy bear might be in order. After my friend contacted me and posted on her facebook page, she told the caretakers that there may be people who are interested in making a donation, and they were tearful.

I am so excited that the first donation from this nomad site is going to be headed that way soon as is a cash donation.
:bounce::bounce:

That of course, does not include the great donation from TecateRey who found this place before we knew about it and helped them out!

:yes::yes::yes:
danaeb
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 8-21-2014 at 10:21 AM

WooHoo! Hand-off complete. Thank you Woody and son Scott.

Experience enables you to recognize a mistake every time you repeat it.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2014 at 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I bet if Cameron Steele knew about this he could help... He knows the place, since he used the shipwreck there as a photo op for his upcoming CBS Sports TV special 'Trail of Missions'?

whoa...shipwreck is looking pretty sad! im surprised it hasn't been salvaged like our Gbay ship was! :)
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.