BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Home for Elderly Gentlemen another secret donor and request for photos!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-21-2014 at 11:32 AM

it's scary to think what jagged pieces are broken off underwater, right in the surf zone!

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-21-2014 at 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by danaeb
WooHoo! Hand-off complete. Thank you Woody and son Scott.

:bounce::bounce::biggrin::bounce::bounce:

Thank you and thanks to Woody and Scott. :bounce:
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2014 at 07:24 PM

The delivery was made and our friends say the young couple running this place were overwhelmed ---- lots of TP and lots of pharmacy and hygiene products! All so needed. THANK YOU WOODY AND DANA

I know there will be more, but I am hoping to find a way to keep things going. I am looking for the idea of an ongoing sponsor and welcome ANY ideas and thoughts about this.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2014 at 07:34 PM

SHOES, SHOES

We hope to be down there the last part of September and we have found some great whole sale places for lines and clothes; we will share those sites for others and other causes as soon as we receive our first shipment and make sure they are legit.

Meantime, they really need shoes. Do any of you have shoes between the size of 8 and 10 that are in good shape that you just don't wear anymore?
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2014 at 06:02 PM

Well, a couple of people have said they will deliver some donations soon including some cash, fresh food, jackets, and an on demand propane water heater!

Here's hoping even more will respond. :yes:

[Edited on 8-26-2014 by DianaT]
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2014 at 06:16 PM

delivering goods is excellent as it is all so much more expensive here in Mexico than in the States......money just does not go as far here for items like shoes, blankets, food. sounds like we have a great pay it forward going on here (((:

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2014 at 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
delivering goods is excellent as it is all so much more expensive here in Mexico than in the States......money just does not go as far here for items like shoes, blankets, food. sounds like we have a great pay it forward going on here (((:

So true Blanca, but a couple of people are sending our friend Penny money as they don't have a way to deliver goods and it is necessary to buy food locally as well as propane, electricity, etc.

Of course canned food and dry goods are a different story. So much is so much more expensive in Baja than in the states! All is so very much appreciated as you well know from your great work in finding donations for other very worthy causes.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2014 at 02:51 PM

if anyone needs a nudge Jose Luis and his wife are very young (mid 20's?) and seem like they are just going about a normal routine taking care of these men. they are very nice and the men seemed in good spirits. nice big house that was clean and didn't have any (I expected) funky odors.

all that to say everyone seemed to be happy so you know it isn't some scam.

a worthy cause in my book!!!!

BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 8-26-2014 at 03:05 PM

that's great that you did that, Woody! And thanks for your update!

We would also like to help out, and will be going down to Baja in the Fall!!

I will check back on this thread as our time gets near to get a current list of items needed, Diana!

Yes, a worthy cause indeed!

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2014 at 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
if anyone needs a nudge Jose Luis and his wife are very young (mid 20's?) and seem like they are just going about a normal routine taking care of these men. they are very nice and the men seemed in good spirits. nice big house that was clean and didn't have any (I expected) funky odors.

all that to say everyone seemed to be happy so you know it isn't some scam.

a worthy cause in my book!!!!

Thanks Woody --- yes they are young and have a 4 year old daughter. It started with a grandfather and just happened

I can't wait to meet them in person!

BajaLuna, yes, do check back and or U2U me before you travel south and we will give you an update.

:-)
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 01:00 PM

For those of you who need clothing for your projects in Baja, I would like to recommend a discount dealer where you do not have to buy hundreds of one item.

Shirt Champ

We ordered some things and they are cheap, but the quality is as good as full price, and the shipping was fast.

We are waiting for some linens from another wholesale place and will let anyone who is interested as to what we receive. The wholesale linen places want orders of several dozen of one item, but this company agreed to break case for a few items. Still waiting for the shipment.

Also waiting for a box of goodies from a generous nomad that we will deliver. And we hear some others have plans of taking some different items. :bounce::bounce:

Again, if anyone is passing by there, stop by and say hello and drop something off if you can. It now has the official stamp of approval from Woody, which we appreciate. :biggrin:
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2014 at 09:16 AM

Thank you so very much Cabo Magic! Great stuff! :yes::yes:

Nothing like coming home from a quick trip to the Oregon Coast and finding a large box full of goodies!

We are headed down soon and hope to take some pictures.

I know a couple of nomads who are planning winter trips are planning on stopping by the home, and please do!
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2014 at 04:24 PM
Our visit to Casa Ancianos

Casa Ancianos, San Jacinto, Baja ---- this is probably too long, but we just hope it helps.

We have now had the pleasure of visiting the home and delivering a few items. WOW --- it is everything our friend Penny Freeland said it is. The young couple, Jose Luis and Angela and their 4 year old daughter are taking wonderful loving care of these 10 elderly gentlemen giving them all they can when they have so little. It an amazing thing to see people with so little give so much.

A few of the gentlemen require TOTAL care and in a less loving environment, would be confined to bed. There was no feel of it being like a convalescent home; it is a real home. Jose Luis has applied for some government assistance, and we hope that it will come in 2015.

At this time, a local church has assisted them in adding on to the home for enough space for the gentlemen. It is very basic construction, but it works. The church also has one person to relief Jose Luis and Angela one day a week, and a man from a local rehab center comes to cut their hair. And of course, Penny and Murray are doing what they can. The home is very poor and they need so much and NEVER ask for anything.

The donations they have received so far, including the beautiful one from Mas Olas and the one Mas Olas delivered from danaeb who must have cleaned out a local CVS or RiteAid, were so appreciated. We hope it continues.

When we were there, they were cooking the afternoon meal of beans with a can of potatoes mixed in --- they really could use more food! Penny and Murray can only take them so much food from their budget and I really, really hope that some others who live near by can help. Food, food and more food. And of course, they need everything else.

Jose Luis and Angela ask for nothing for themselves or their daughter.

Our visit was short and definitely overwhelming for the family and the men--- Penny, Murray who they know so well, but then myself, John and my sister, who lives not far away and some donations. They are not used to all the activity and are shy about receiving donations, so we left the items for them to sort through later. We took the little girl a box of crayons and a couple of large coloring tablets, and you would have thought we had brought her Disneyland!

Cabo Magic, sent down a lot of things that included women's clothing which will be good for Angela --- the caretakers also need care.

I wanted to take photos, but the timing was just not right --- maybe it will be right at another time, or Penny can take some pictures, but as I said, it was all so overwhelming and photo taking would have been way too intrusive.

I did take a quick photo from the outside for identification purposes and the picture of what I think is a water tank? They do not own the land -- I don't know the story there, but the owners come and stay in the little house at times and Jose Luis and Anglela use the trailer. The picture of the tank is taken looking toward the highway which is only about 3/4 of a mile away. It is the turnoff to the Shipwreck --- the sign coming both ways says, El Barco.

When I have some pictures of the home for abused women and children that my sister is involved with, well, I will be back. And there is talk about a number of these groups getting together to help support one another. More on that later.

Yes, there is so much relief needed right now for the victims of the hurricane, and others busy trying to get their business back, but I just wanted to share this again. I know there are a few people who have said they will stop by on their way down Baja, and thank you to all who do. As my John says, old men also need love. And they definitely need food and everything else!

Every small donation from anyone will be appreciated and well used.

[Edited on 9-24-2014 by DianaT]
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 11:27 AM

Since our brief visit, Ernesto, one of the residents has died. When we met him, he was so frail. He was so fortunate to have been surrounded by such love and care in his final days.

Very quickly, another resident moved in -- there is such a need.

As the season has come for more snowbirds to be headed to Baja, some, unfortunately, will be faced with personal problems from the hurricane, but if you can and so desire, we hope you might consider dropping off some food at this home. It is so close to the main highway.

While they are in need of so much, keeping up with feeding 12 adults and one child is very difficult and all food is so appreciated. It is a need that is never ending.

I look forward to hearing back from those of you who already plan to make some donations.

Thank you. :saint:
Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 11:47 AM

I am driving North October 1st from La Paz, and like to stop at their place.,

I am not familiar with the area up there, please post some good directions, where to turn off Hwy 1 and so on...

Maybe a little map?

Thank you,

Karl
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 12:10 PM

it is just over the hill from Camalu, north of San Quintin. as you pass the Pemex in Camalu climb that hill and on the other side, at the bottom of the hill will be a very wide dirt road with signs to La Barca (Shipwreck). turn west towards the ocean and look for the pictured house above. about 5 minutes from the hiway.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 12:38 PM

THANKS Woody, and I am sure others who visit will find the conditions at the home as you did.

Here is a map, that I hope is big enough -- maps are not my forte. :-) But I did put a red arrow on the map pointing to the home.

But Camalu is approx. 20 miles north of San Quintin and the turnoff is about 3.5 miles north of Camalu. There is an old worn sign that says, El Barco. I believe it is between KM 150-149. It also says, Punta San Jacinto

As you drive toward the ocean, you will first see a church on the north side of the street and then you will see the home in the picture. That one structure is very difficult to miss. I did not see any sign.

Their actual information is:

Casa Hogar Para Ancianos
Rancho Los Amigos A.C.
Ubicado cn Mesa de San Jacinto
Delegacion de Camalu
House phone...616 159 2894
Jose Luis Romero Alva...cell 616 163 3067 wife Angela

Of course, an address is not really of any help.

If you have ANY problems finding it, or with anything, please call our friend Penny --- Mexican cell 616 109-1102. She and her husband live out at the ocean on the same road next to the B & B north of Shipwreck.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU. :yes::yes:

[Edited on 9-29-2014 by DianaT]
Fernweh
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 01:30 PM

Thank you, perfect....now I shall find it.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fernweh
Thank you, perfect....now I shall find it.

:bounce::bounce::biggrin::bounce::bounce:

Wonderful!
Maron
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2014 at 09:14 PM

Diana T, Woody with a View

New to the site, don't know how to U2U. Would like to mail a cash donation.
You both sound like great, honorable people. Please respond, teach us to U2U and tell us to whom we should send cash, to help the older folks and the young couple.

God Bless

Ron and Mary Ann
B
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.