Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2021 at 01:21 AM

See the Video about this project under the link:

https://youtu.be/A210bOGgVmU
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-20-2021 at 08:12 AM

Joachim, how many years have you been away from Baja California and will you ever come back? I hope you can as your passion for the peninsula seems high!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-20-2021 at 08:35 PM

Remember visiting in late 1984 with my burro Bonny. Spent the night at the kind invitation of the German engineers... and enjoyed a "few" beers.

Was hoping they could repair my camera. No luck... but they did give me a guided tour and loan me a camera to shoot a roll of film.

Story in my book Into a Desert Place, near the end, Chapter 29 Mag Bay.

And book is FREE on Kindle till July 24. Then will cost you an arm and a leg.

Enjoy.

https://www.amazon.com/Into-Desert-Place-Graham-Mackintosh-e...

Bonny BWa.jpg - 213kB Bonny BW3a.jpg - 241kB

bajagerman
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2021 at 02:26 AM

Hi David,
have been to Baja california three times. For site suvey, installation and setup the system and for warranty performance.
After that, I always visited my friend Bob in San Diego. We have designed a Doppler Sonar project together.
I know quite well Bob Boehme W2IRI. He worked formerly for Ametek Strazza a company which designed and produce doppler sonar underwater systems.
So i introduced this systems in Germany and we used it at huge supertanker as well as at the german navy vessel.
This systems measured the speed and motions over ground. We had no GPS this time but the Transit system wich deliver a fix (a correct position) about all 50 minutes.
The time inbetween you must navigate with dead reckoning wich was not so good with a normal ships Log.
But Transit with a Doppler sonar and the ships gyro deliver a very accurate position all the time. So Bob and me design this systems.
At http://www.dj7wl.darc.de/Doppler%20Sonar%20und%20E09.html you may read a description about Doppler Systems. Of course it is in german language but
with goggle translater you may read it and there are many pictures about the system.
About your question, i don´t believe to come to the Baja Califoria again and my friend Bob is passed away a time ago.
bajagerman
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-21-2021 at 05:27 AM

Hi Graham,

thank you for the information as well as the pictures.
I have read the story of your live as well as your trip
down the Baja California all the way. Also i have seen you
wrote several books more.

Myself i have done very different projects on very different
places at our globe. After i finished the project Sonntlan at
Las Barrancas i start to design a communications and navigations
project for the Indian Antarctis Station. All the material was
send to Goa/India. Here I carried out intensive training with
the overwintering crew on all devices as shortwave and satellite
systems. Navigations systems like radar and satellite navigation.

After I retired, i wrote a book about a selection of my projects.
In the end it turned out to be a big book.
A short description of all articles can be viewed at:
www.seefunk-gmdss.de
Of course it is in german language but by the help off Google Translator you may read it. Also to all articles are one ore more pictures placed.
As a special feature, i have produced three DVDs for the book which
accompany and supplement the content.
The video at the link: https://youtu.be/A210bOGgVmU
for example belongs to the Sonntlan project.

Joachim

Hamburg/Germany
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-21-2021 at 06:03 AM

Thank you... Google automatically translated it to English. Very interesting, photo-filled page!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2021 at 09:32 AM

Thank you bajagerman for the background information and the links. Your projects all sounded so interesting.

It was good to remember my visit to Las Barrancas in 1984. I'm looking forward to finding again the photographs I took with the borrowed camera and seeing what I'd written in my journal.

It was an amazing experience, one of many on that trip.

bajagerman
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-22-2021 at 11:44 PM

Hi Graham,

If you can find the photos it would be interesting to publish a selection
here together with some text from your visit to the Sonntlan project at Las Barrancas.

Joachim

Hamburg/Germany
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-25-2021 at 05:01 PM

Thank you Joachim. I'll see if I can find them. Would be amazing to see again after so many years... and I kept a journal. Will see if I can find that too.

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-26-2021 at 11:09 AM

Found a few more pictures from my visit with my burro about November 1984.

I'm sure there are others... recall borrowing a camera from you guys - mine had broken. Might need to find and scan.

I shot a roll of black-and-white film (24 or 36 exposures) while getting a tour of the plant after spending a fun night as your guests. Thankyou. Fascinating project and memories.

scan iadp033aa.jpg - 191kB scan iadp035a.jpg - 174kB scan iadp046aa.jpg - 256kB scan iadp032aaa.jpg - 173kB

bajagerman
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2021 at 02:42 AM

Hi Graham,

at your picture no 4 you stays below a Helioman system. At that time in the mid-80s this was
a very advanced system.The basic idea was to focus the sun's rays on a tube system.
A special liquid circulated in the pipe system. The mirror system in the Helioman system had
to be very precisely aligned with the sun at any time of the day. 18 of the Helioman systems
were bundled into one overall system. The highly heated special liquid was transported into
the machine house via the insulated pipe system. Here the energy was converted into steam in
order to drive a generator which produced electrical energy.

The 18 Helioman systems had to be very precisely aligned with the sun at all times of the
day and all year round. This was guaranteed by a special computer program. During the night,
all systems went to sleep. Why this was necessary is explained in the picture itself.
If you enter the following position in Google Maps or Google Earth you will automatically be
taken to the point of view from the 18 Helio system.
Position: 26 00 02 N 112 11 47 W

The bases of the 18 Helioman systems can still be seen clearly in 2021.
The energy generated by the Helioman was combined with a solar cell field and several wind generators.
This research project was set up in a community between Germany and Mexico.
Germany invested 90 million DM in the project.
bajagerman
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2021 at 02:49 AM

This is a view of the Sonntlan site project, the 18 bases of the Helioman systems are clearly visible.

Las Barrancas.jpg - 70kB
bajagerman
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2021 at 02:52 AM

This is a Helioman system in working position.

Helio Man.jpg - 35kB
bajagerman
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2021 at 02:55 AM

Here is a section of the Helioman field.

Helio Feld.jpg - 57kB
bajagerman
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-27-2021 at 02:57 AM

Helioman system in the sleeping position.
The reason why the Helioman system went into this position after sunset is to avoid sand and dust
deposits on the mirrors when the air is humid at night.

Helio Ruhe.jpg - 264kB
bajagerman
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2021 at 03:22 AM

bajagerman
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2021 at 03:03 AM

bajagerman
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2021 at 04:44 AM

It has been a while since the "Remembrance of the Sonntlan Project" geocache was placed.

With this geocache it is quiet a long story. “Sonntlan” has been a common project between Mexico
and Germany. The German Goverment spends 90 millions Deutsche Mark for it. You may read the full
story at my Sonntlan Homepage. www.dj7wl.darc.de and there please click to:
„Ein Forschungsprojekt der Bundesrepublik Deutschland und eine Wette“ all in english language.

But the geocache is a different story. We had a family meeting with our childrens and grandchildrens
in the year Jun 2014. My oldest granddaughter should give a lecture about solar energy at her school,
so she ask my somethink about solar energy. Finally she ask me the question, how is the situation at
the Sonntlan plant now, everythink is working fine?
I answher, i have no idea at all. But after that meeting i startet to find it out. Finally i found
the baja nomad forum. There has been already this threat:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=68323 with a discussion about the Sonntlan project.
At 08-17-2014 i opened my own threat at baja nomad forum:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=74962
You may read the full story about the geocache here. Some more details you will find at my Sonntlan Homepage:
www.dj7wl.darc.de

I was looking for people here in the forum who would climb the Radio Relais hill to take photos there.
The first one who tried it was Harald 4x4abc. He reported problems in getting to the hill at all.
In my days this hill could be freely approached from all sides. In the meantime, however, everything is
fenced in and provided with gates. So Harald gave up on this first attempt but he sent me photos.
Later, and together with some friends, she made it up the hill and sent me more photos.
My original idea was to place the geocache on this hill, but we discarded it because of the fencing.
Then we chose a different location for the geocache.The details can be found under this link:
https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC6GP8N
Tom, Harald and other team members have placed the geocache finally there.

“bornfisher” has been the first finder of the geocache Memorian Sonntlan.
But now we all waiting for the next finder of this geocache. Also she or he will receive from me the original
Video about the constructions time of the project Sonntlan at the places Ciudad de Constitucion, the relais
station at top of the hill and the system itself at Las Barrancas.
From this next finder I like very much to receive photos about the way to the geocache as well as photos
about the surrounding of the geocache position and the geocache box inside.
The new finder please confirm the find with Geocaching by making an entry there.
The new finder please also write its name and date in the geocache log and send a photo of it.

As an extra, I'll give the first finder after "bornfisher" US $ 20 for some beer or wine.
The condition for the transfer is, it must be possible via the Paypal for a friend method.

Have a good time

Joachim
bajagerman
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2021 at 04:46 AM

This is a picture of Harald 4x4abc, in the background you see the radio hill and in the foreground you can see
that it never rains in Baja California Sur.

rain 3.jpg - 83kB
bajagerman
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2021 at 04:48 AM

This picture by Harald shows the distance from the radio hill everything is fenced in.

fence 3.jpg - 233kB
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.