Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  7
Author: Subject: Geocache and Project Sonntlan at Las Barrancas
bajagerman
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 05:06 AM
Geocache and Project Sonntlan at Las Barrancas

I have been a member of the crew wich built the solar plant at Las Barrancas. My job has been to deliver telephon as well as data connections to the solar plant. Therefore i had to plan and realise a radio link from Las Barrancas via a relay station on top off a hill to Ciudad Constitucion. Have been tree times there first for site survey, than for buildt up the system and make training with my mexican crew, and finally for warranty checks. I know that all the material of the plant for 90 millions DM is going to somewhere. I received photos about that. By Google Earth i find out the place where i placed the Radio Relay Repeater on the hill. As i may see i believe also there is all material lost. Due to the fact that i am about 9400 KM away from this place i try to find somebody who is willing to go to this place take photos and send me the photos. Also i believe it will be a good place to bring a geocache to this position. You have a fantastic view over the Baja California from there. I wrote a report of my activitys in the Project Sontlan as well i placed several pictures under:
www.info-inmarsat.gmxhome.de/sontlan.html
A person who will do it will get from me a video with information during the construction time at Baja California.
For the geochache you will find information under:
www.geocaching.com and there type in GC6GP8N
Also i will assist you if you have no knowledge about geocaching.

The geocache is placed now. Please have a look at my post 9.5.2016 in this thread about the details.

Best regards Joachim

Hamburg/Germany

[Edited on 8-17-2014 by bajagerman]

[Edited on 8-23-2014 by bajagerman]

[Edited on 8-28-2014 by bajagerman]

[Edited on 5-18-2016 by bajagerman]

[Edited on 5-18-2016 by bajagerman]

[Edited on 2-21-2017 by bajagerman]

[Edited on 10-7-2020 by bajagerman]
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 05:51 AM

Here?

http://goo.gl/maps/Ec0Kt

Appears to require a little bit of work to get there.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 09:03 AM

There is a thread on Las Barrancas solar plant and Graham posted photos from his visit there when it was being built.

HERE: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=68323

Thanks for this link bajagerman: http://www.info-inmarsat.gmxhome.de/Sontlan.html

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajagerman
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 11:02 AM

I have edited my first post. Please have look there again to clear my wishes.
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 11:31 AM

Boy, that looks like it could be a fun ride on my moto. Looks like a one-way and back trip, but still fun. I might try it in a week or two.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 11:38 AM

I'm not planning on being in the area until the Baja 1000 in November. It would make for an interesting exploring trip. I'm sure someone will get there before Nov. but if not I'll make a detour either going or coming. Bump this up from time to time to keep us updated.
bajagerman
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 11:45 AM

Hi ncampion, that is nice to hear. Do you have experience with geocache. If not i will assist you and place the cache at www.geocaching.com
At the area Las Barrancas to Ciudad Constitucion there is no cache placed at all until now. If you send me some photos and place the cache i will send you a video from the build up Sontlan Project at Las Barrancas.

Kind regards Joachim from Hamburg in Germany
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 05:54 PM

Geocaching in Baja began about 14 years ago... Timothy Walker and friend Robert hid the very first one, and my friends and I in the Viva Baja 4WD van were the first to find it... in July 2001 (between Gonzaga and Coco's Corner).

Many Nomads are also Geo-Cachers... I hid 3 or 4 back in 2001, and one may still be active? Baja Bucko hid one in a great remote spot along the Franciscan's cargo trail between Gonzaga Bay and their San Fernando mission.

http://geocaching.com

[Edited on 8-18-2014 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: happy - always

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 06:49 PM

Joachim,

warum willste denn Bilder haben von ner Anlage, die (wahrscheinlich) nicht mehr da ist?
Kann da mal hinfahren, aber dann schuldest du mir ein paar grosse Biere. 6 Stunden Fahrzeit, $100 Benzin.

why would you want pictures of an installation that is (most likely) gone to hell?
I can drive up to that spot, but you'll owe me a few big beers. 6 hours driving time from La Paz, $100 in gas.

Harald Pietschmann
bajagerman
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2014 at 09:13 AM

The next geocache to Las Barrancas i have seen is in Loreto. Ncampion makes the offer maby to go there and make some photos. I am interested at photos from the relaystation position as i have been there for 30 years and like to see what has change. I believe too that nothing ist left from the material but from there you will have a fantastic look over the Baja California. Special the direction to Las Barrancas (about 314 degrees azimut) is interesting to compare with my old photos. And to place a geocache on top of the hill will be a good idea i hope so. I have been amazed how clear the way up the hill by Google Earth will be seen.

Joachim from Hamburg in Germany

[Edited on 8-18-2014 by bajagerman]
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2014 at 09:22 AM

....forget geocache--tell us you left a goldcache,,,watch the tires -fly-!!;);):):cool:
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2014 at 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I'm not planning on being in the area until the Baja 1000 in November.

Ditto with me. I'll be in the area of Loreto, C. Insurgentes, La Purisima and La Paz - back and forth multiple times prerunning and race.

ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 8-18-2014 at 03:48 PM

I'm trying to put together a GPS track to the location, hope to get up there in about a week from now.
bajagerman
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2014 at 04:46 AM

This is great news ncampion. Will already prepare the Sontlan/Las Barrancas Video for you. Will send you later also a direct email.
bajagerman
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2014 at 04:51 AM

Hi 4x4abc, Harald have send you a direct email. Has this mail arrived?
Joachim
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2014 at 07:34 PM

so, I went to climb "Mount Everest" 2 days ago.
Even though only 900 yards of a moderate climb, I made only 500 and had to give up.
The fact that my (Mexican) dog refused to continue was a strong indicator that enough was enough.
On good days I would run up and down that road 10 times a day. Not this time.

Access was very difficult. Fences and gates everywhere. Some locked. Got the key from a nearby rancho.

http://www.baja101.com/Baja-GPS/access.kmz

pictures will follow

Harald Pietschmann
4x4abc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-22-2014 at 07:50 PM

as you see, the dog was pooped

rain had made much of the road almost impassable

fences everywhere (that stupid mountain in the background)

[Edited on 2-9-2015 by BajaNomad]

Harald Pietschmann
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2014 at 09:29 AM

bajagerman, did you request the radio frequencies from Mexico or did the Mexicans assign you the frequencies?
bajagerman
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2014 at 01:30 PM

Hi TW, i donīt understand your question correct. We request the frequencies and the mexican goverment assign it yes that is true. Generaly i had planed in the beginning frequencies in the GHz range. But the topografic maps, 30 years ago, have been quit poor. So due to safety reasons i use frequencies in the 2 m band which are not so critical against obstacles in the line of sight..

[Edited on 8-23-2014 by bajagerman]
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2014 at 02:19 PM

Thanks for the reply. When I was working in San Diego at KNSD-TV we worked with the Mexican equivalent of the FCC (SCT I think) and I was told the Mexican government assigned the frequencies. In the US various groups have assigned frequencies such as business band, broadcast bands etc. which we pick frequencies from based on non-interference. But at the time, early 1990s, Mexico would assign a frequency to say a broadcaster and an adjacent channel frequency to a taxi. rather confusing to say the least. We had a rather funny situation involving the governor of Baja's security channels being on one of our two way radio channels. I was just curious if they told you what frequency to use or if you got to say what you wanted. I noted that on two of your sites the frequencies for the TX and RX is 5.85Mhz apart and the other is 4.575Mhz, interesting.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.