Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Update: Bringing Frozen Fish To Mexico
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 10:18 AM
Update: Bringing Frozen Fish To Mexico

Does anyone know if there are any restrictions to bringing frozen fish into Mexico. I am planning on bringing 2 50# boxes back with me on the plane and want to avoid any problems.

[Edited on 9-4-2014 by monoloco]

"The future ain't what it used to be"
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 01:45 PM

into Mexico I have no idea but it was no issue when Les's brother took about the same amount back to Europe when he returned 4 years ago.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
into Mexico I have no idea but it was no issue when Les's brother took about the same amount back to Europe when he returned 4 years ago.
I know that it's no problem to take fish north, but a friend of mine had several cases of smoked salmon, that he had canned, confiscated at the border a couple of years ago. I didn't find anything in the regulations specifically banning frozen fish, but there was something about bringing up to 15 kilos of food for personal consumption. I don't object to paying a duty on it if necessary, but I'll be very peeed if they confiscate 100# of king salmon and black cod after going to the trouble and expense of transporting it.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 02:01 PM

take a friend to split the goods.

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
take a friend to split the goods.
I'm flying from Sitka so that would be difficult.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 02:16 PM

can they put it on a second plane for you and you can pick it up a few days later? kinda like sending a package on a bus, only quicker!

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 02:26 PM

I think the problem will be in the fact that they will not believe you that it is for personal use. Their major concern will be that you are going to re-sell it.

If it were me, I would have a separate zip lock in a plastic bag with around 5 LBS of the Salmon and ask the officer to please sample some of your fish with his family. Mordida, si but it might work depending on the mood of the officer and if anyone else was watching.

I think that if you wanted to drop off around 10 LBS of Salmon at my place when you stop in Los Angeles, that would help your situation! biggrin:

Let us know how it went.

[Edited on 8-17-2014 by Howard]

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
can they put it on a second plane for you and you can pick it up a few days later? kinda like sending a package on a bus, only quicker!
It would be hard because there is no way to make a same day connection from Sitka to Cabo, so it has to be put in a freezer overnight in Seattle.

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Howard
I think the problem will be in the fact that they will not believe you that it is for personal use. Their major concern will be that you are going to re-sell it.

If it were me, I would have a separate zip lock in a plastic bag with around 5 LBS of the Salmon and ask the officer to please sample some of your fish with his family. Mordida, si but it might work depending on the mood of the officer and if anyone else was watching.

I think that if you wanted to drop off around 10 LBS of Salmon at my place when you stop in Los Angeles, that would help your situation! biggrin:

Let us know how it went.

[Edited on 8-17-2014 by Howard]
Yeah, I guess I'll find out. It's all commercially vacuum packed in 1# chunks so it would be easy to pull out a few for the aduana guy.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 03:08 PM

My name is "Chuckie Aduana"...Thanks...

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 03:30 PM

who is going to eat 100 pounds of salmon???

lets do some math
1 pound a meal
100 meals
that's salmon 3 times a week
I'm already sick of salmon:lol:

you'll be paying import fees for sure

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Feathers
Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
My name is "Chuckie Aduana"...Thanks...

You crack me up. :lol:
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 03:42 PM

We lost our non commercial frozen copper river red salmon in Loreto because it did not have a commercial label on it.

And jars of copper river red smoked. - lost too.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
who is going to eat 100 pounds of salmon???

lets do some math
1 pound a meal
100 meals
that's salmon 3 times a week
I'm already sick of salmon:lol:

you'll be paying import fees for sure
Don't worry, we'll eat all of that salmon, some black cod and short raker too. I've been eating it almost everyday for 4 months, and I'm not sick of it yet. Can't wait to get the smoker going.

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mula
We lost our non commercial frozen copper river red salmon in Loreto because it did not have a commercial label on it.

And jars of copper river red smoked. - lost too.
Now you're making me nervous. I applied lodge lodge labels with the species on them, does that count?

weebray
Super Nomad

Mood: lleno

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 04:53 PM

High on the list of reasons we live here is the fact that we can buy the freshest fish in the world right here at the local market. I don't get it. Also, a hunnert pounds of fish is clearly excessive. If customs doesn't give you grief I will be extremely surprised. They were unhappy with us for bringing a case of paper towels. I say give all your friends up north a thoughtful gift and bring a reasonable amount to remember your adventure.

Every beautiful beach in the world needs a few condo towers - NOT.
wiltonh
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 05:03 PM

I have a friend that flew from Oregon to La Paz with a lot of frozen elk meet. They would not let it in so he asked if they could store it in a freezer for a week or so as his friend was flying back to Oregon and could take the meat. They said yes and then checked on their freezer size. It was not nearly big enough.

They then stamped all the packages with some sort of official stamp and gave him the meat. He took it home and then has friend took it back to the airport the next week when he flew back to Oregon.

Seems strange but it worked.
wetto
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 05:40 PM

sound like a great fiesta is about to take place in someone's Mexican pueblo.

I lost a lot of frozen standing lamb roast one year flying into Cabo one year. They cited mad cow disease. I cited lamb not beef...they cited, we can take it. They did. Someone had a nice fiesta.

Lee S
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by weebray
High on the list of reasons we live here is the fact that we can buy the freshest fish in the world right here at the local market. I don't get it. Also, a hunnert pounds of fish is clearly excessive. If customs doesn't give you grief I will be extremely surprised. They were unhappy with us for bringing a case of paper towels. I say give all your friends up north a thoughtful gift and bring a reasonable amount to remember your adventure.
Get off your high horse weebray, who are you to say what's excessive or reasonable, I spent a lot of time and money catching and processing that fish, and a better product can't be found, an Alaska non-resident fishing license and king salmon tag alone is $250, plus all my friends up here are commercial salmon trollers or fishing guides, so they aren't really in need of fish. Everyday, sports fishermen haul home coolers full of fish from their fishing charter trips in Cabo, to Canada, the US, Europe, and other locations, I don't see why a Mexico resident shouldn't be able to do the same. The best thing that I can do with it is take it home and eat it with my friends in Baja.

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by weebray
Oh and by the way, that "fresh" fish in the market was caught by a pangero who didn't bleed it, threw it in a fish box that may or may not have had ice, and by the time you buy it from the market it could be over a week old. That fish from the market doesn't hold a candle to fish that was properly bled and iced, then processed the same day. That is why I fish.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.