Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Mercado Negra in Ensenada
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 12:29 PM
Mercado Negra in Ensenada

we'll be passing by next weekend and want to grab some jumbo shrimp and maybe something for the grill. in the past it has been hit or miss as to the quality of what they offer. sometimes it smells like bleach and sometimes it's fresh.

so my question/theory is this: is it best to buy first thing in the morning? maybe they are trying to sell what didn't sell yesterday first and the quality lacks. or is it better to get there mid morning after the old stock has been sold.

or am i over thinking it?

greengoes
Select Nomad

Mood: Today I slay the Red Dot.

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 12:32 PM

Don't fret about it. Given the opportunity they can always find some old shrimp for gringos. They also have a steady stock of teeny, teeny shrimp for the bottom of the bag.

ANUNCIATE AQUI
DISPONIBLE
INFORMES LLAMA SNOWBALL - 646-115-7754
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 12:35 PM

Ya gotta watch for the "switcheroo"! We saw some beautiful lobsters, alive and moving, there once. We said we want two of them. The guy grabbed them, then made a switch when bagging them as he turned his back to us! They were a bit nasty when we went to make them up.

I hear they sometimes do the same with shrimp, etc.

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 12:41 PM
Trust but verify

Woody.....make sure you are getting what you see (and paid for). Don't take anything from under the counter. Before you pay, look, smell and touch what they give you.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 12:48 PM

i always let them bag it then i untie the knot and have a look/smell. the bleach seems to concentrate in the bag more than in the open air. it's funny that while wanting to pay their asking price they try to screw you on occasion...

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 01:51 PM

And they will also go under the counter to get your fish!!

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
i always let them bag it then i untie the knot and have a look/smell. the bleach seems to concentrate in the bag more than in the open air. it's funny that while wanting to pay their asking price they try to screw you on occasion...

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 02:13 PM

Sounds like a place to stay away from to me. There has to be a fresh sea food market other than the one you're referring to that doesn't cheat tourist. ??

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 02:15 PM

yeah, i could just bring something from an "A" rated fish market here in town, but what kind of adventure is that?

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 03:50 PM

Try Kennedy's fish market on the dirt road that parallels the big curve as you leave Manedero. They only sell fresh fish and shrimp unlike the Black Market guys.

Bob Durrell
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 03:54 PM
Vendor

My foodie source says the first person/booth on the left as you enter the Mercado Negra, inside the building......working on better info/directions

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 04:46 PM

Don't even go near the Black Market. It's not worth the gamble.
I once bought some filets there and as the kid was bagging them, I saw out of the corner of my eye, his hand go beneath his counter, pulling it back quickly and throwing something into my bag. It turned out to be a big bone...looked like a knuckle of a freakin' cow. I know it didn't come out of a fish.

Take Bob's suggestion about Kennedy's.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 05:33 PM

i once bought a whole Dorado. when i got it home one side looked like it had been thru a grinder. the other side was good tho!:lol:

where is Kennedy's? turn off following the signs or the turn before?

nandopedal
Nomad

Mood: Negra Modelo

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 05:50 PM

Hi Woddy, stop at Popotla, there is nothing under the table (Open air market).

\"There are many dangers in Baja. The most serious of which is not going.\" Christophe Noel (EXPO)
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 06:37 PM

Quote:

The Kennedys are a big family. The fish market is at the south end of Maneadero on the dirt frontage road right next to Hwy 1.
If you get to the propane distributor, you went too far.....Las Caņadas, much too far.
At the south end of town, just pull over and ask somebody. They should know.

paul r
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 06:46 PM

... hi gang, I might be making a mistake, but here goes, woody and gang, the best seafood market in the world is de gados (sp?),down the side parking lot of santo tomas wine barn in ensenada. they are the most professional, kind people filleting fish!... the best fresh fish being currently caught, oysters from either san quintin, or guerro negro, depending on the season, shrimp, different sizes, fresh veggies, here's a hoot, a select smatting of trader joes produces,... I could go on and on!!!... this place is where, ALL the people in the know shop!!... if your a foodie, right next door is the bakery that will cause you to readjust your life!!!!... if you enjoy good, fresh food , you'll find it...be kind, patience, and show respect, they are good friends ... oh!... never buy anything at the black hole!!!!
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 06:53 PM

Quote:
i once bought a whole Dorado. when i got it home one side looked like it had been thru a grinder. the other side was good tho!:lol:

JUST AS YOU START INTO THE TURN BEFORE THE HARDWARE/ LUMBER COMPANY. GO OFF TO THE DIRT ON THE RIGHT.

Bob Durrell
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 07:13 PM

Paul R's reference is
Pescaderia De Garo

[Edited on 8-18-2014 by bajadock]

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
JUST AS YOU START INTO THE TURN BEFORE THE HARDWARE/ LUMBER COMPANY. GO OFF TO THE DIRT ON THE RIGHT.

The lumber company, Los Flemate, is on the east side of Hwy 1.
Fish market is across the highway.

[Edited on 8-18-2014 by DENNIS]

bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 10:30 PM

go past the mercado negro (same road) to captain cortez. they have a parking lot in the back, well marked. you'll pay a little more but it will be fresh and edible.

as for Kennedy's...it's OK. the shrimp are "shrimpy" as in small and quite dirty....IMHO.

[Edited on 8-18-2014 by bajabound2005]

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 8-17-2014 at 10:33 PM

that would be De Garo, and yes, it's excellent. you have to get there early because when the fish is gone, he closes. as far as shrimp goes, though.......i think it's not "local".

Quote:
Originally posted by paul r
... hi gang, I might be making a mistake, but here goes, woody and gang, the best seafood market in the world is de gados (sp?),down the side parking lot of santo tomas wine barn in ensenada. they are the most professional, kind people filleting fish!... the best fresh fish being currently caught, oysters from either san quintin, or guerro negro, depending on the season, shrimp, different sizes, fresh veggies, here's a hoot, a select smatting of trader joes produces,... I could go on and on!!!... this place is where, ALL the people in the know shop!!... if your a foodie, right next door is the bakery that will cause you to readjust your life!!!!... if you enjoy good, fresh food , you'll find it...be kind, patience, and show respect, they are good friends ... oh!... never buy anything at the black hole!!!!

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.