Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Moving to TJ
Jcbrub

[*] posted on 8-19-2014 at 09:14 PM
Moving to TJ

Ok Everyone, I am considering moving to TJ from San Diego and I have a couple questions.

I currently live in San Diego and work in La Jolla. My girlfriend lives down in tijuana and honestly for the past couple years I spend every Friday evening through monday morning across the border and then one or two evenings during the week. Since I rarely spend time at my own place here in SD, I am looking at moving down there. I already have SENTRI, and like I said cross the border 3-4 times a week, so that's no issue. Being down there so much these are probably things I should already know. However:

-Is it completely legal for a US citizen to live across the border with no FTM/FM3 visa or whatever it is?
-Will I have any issues living as an american in TJ in terms of crossing daily? (hassled by CBP?)
-I plan to get a PO box to have a CA address, is this sufficient?
-Are there any other ramifications I am not considering when planning to move down to TJ?

I didn't want to jump into a decision without considering all legal consequences etc. so i figured here may be a good place to ask!

Any advice/help is appreciated, thanks!
Jcbrub

[*] posted on 8-19-2014 at 09:37 PM

Another point I wanted to bring up was dealing with the future. If everything goes as plans, I hope to marry my gf and live in the US again (she is still studying at a Private University in TJ and works at a top financial firm, and she has her Visa to cross etc). So we would plan to move back after marrying and obviously make her a resident through marriage. Eventually she would get a green car (I know the process isn't that basic, just speaking in general.

My concern is, having lived in TJ for 18-24 months at that point, will that hinder at all the chances or probability of bringing my then wife to the states in terms of the interview to make her legal here?

Also, will living in TJ for an extended amount of time (2 years or so) have any consequences on me personally after moving back to SD?

I apologize if these questions are rather ignorant, I did some searching and found some answers, but was in hope someone here could maybe provide me with some concrete answers.
bajagrouper
Senior Nomad

Mood: happy and retired

[*] posted on 8-19-2014 at 09:53 PM

OP you state" Eventually she would get a green car "

One question, will she buy a car that is environmentally friendly or a car green in color?

Just kidding Bro, couldn't help it,LOL..Welcome to the board.....

[Edited on 8-20-2014 by bajagrouper]

I hear the whales song
dasubergeek
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2014 at 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jcbrub
-Is it completely legal for a US citizen to live across the border with no FTM/FM3 visa or whatever it is?

No, it isn't legal and aboveboard. The chances of your being asked to show proof that you're in Tijuana legally are almost nil, but if you want to do this completely legally, yes, you need a visa. If you want to do a menaje de casa, where you can bring your household goods duty-free into Mexico, you'll need to have the correct papers. Others can advise you more.

Quote:
-Will I have any issues living as an american in TJ in terms of crossing daily? (hassled by CBP?)

You're far from the only U.S. citizen living in Tijuana. You'll be hassled the regular amount. Do, however, have a contingency plan for the days when you're sent to secondary either randomly or because your inspector was having a bad time.

Quote:
-I plan to get a PO box to have a CA address, is this sufficient?

This is what everyone does. You'll want to make sure you get packages in the U.S., because Sepomex (the postal service in Mexico) is a horror.

Quote:
-Are there any other ramifications I am not considering when planning to move down to TJ?

Be aware that all of your bills have to be paid in person. This is slowly, slowly changing—you can pay more of them online now—but it takes time and effort to pay bills, and they don't send reminders, they just cut off whatever service it is. You can pay them for a convenience fee at Oxxo, but not if they're too close to the due date, and, well, see what I said above about Sepomex.

Quote:
My concern is, having lived in TJ for 18-24 months at that point, will that hinder at all the chances or probability of bringing my then wife to the states in terms of the interview to make her legal here?

No. It is actually easier to apply for a green card from outside the U.S., because you only have to file (and pay to file) one form instead of two. Once you apply, you can also apply for a K-3 visa for her, which would allow her to live and work in the U.S. while her green card application is working its way through the system. Bear in mind that if you've been married for less than 2 years, she only gets a green card valid until your 2nd anniversary, and you have to petition well in advance to get her a real green card (which involves proving to the interviewer in separate interviews that you do, in fact, live together and are not just married for the immigration benefit).

One thing you should know is that if you decide to stay in Mexico after you're married, your path to legal residency and citizenship is made much easier by your marriage.

Quote:
Also, will living in TJ for an extended amount of time (2 years or so) have any consequences on me personally after moving back to SD?

You'll probably speak Spanish a great deal better, albeit with a Baja accent. You'll have massive sticker shock when you go from paying $500 a month for an apartment to paying $2000 a month for the same apartment. In terms of legal repercussions, not at all.

If you and your future wife have children born abroad, you will want to register that fact with the U.S. Consulate in Mesa de Otay. Since you have lived in the U.S. for more than 5 years, and more than 3 of those since you turned 18 (I assume), your children will automatically be U.S. citizens from birth. They will not, however, be "natural born citizens", at least according to most interpretations of that Presidential requirement.

Of course, children born in Mexico are also Mexican citizens, so your children will be dual citizens.
Jcbrub

[*] posted on 8-19-2014 at 10:46 PM

Hahaha, sorry about the typo!

And thank you so much, Geek, for the detailed advice!

Should I ever get sent to secondary inspection (I used to before I got SENTRI but havent ever since I got it almost a year ago), what kind of contingency plan are you referring to? What are the consequences with CBP if I were to tell them I live permanantley in TJ?

Were you referring to needing a visa to show Mexican officials I permanantley live in TJ legally if ever questioned? (basically saying that CBP will have no issue with me residing in TJ, only mx officials?)

This is something I just heard offhand so please correct me if it's completely false. But I had heard that there was a "border free zone" in which if you live within a certain proximity to the border, as a US citizen you can legally live in MX without the need of a visa... Would it be easier to simply apply and get a visa to live in TJ?

And thank you for the info on green cards, marriage, etc. Very helpful!
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2014 at 11:11 PM

keep in mind, there are thousands of norte americano's living in baja who just can't meet the financial requirements for either a temporary or permanent status and after a few renewals just said to heck with the 180 day tourist visas. yes, living in baja illegally. if you're gonna be here awhile and you want to be legal, well, start the app! ;)
Jcbrub

[*] posted on 8-19-2014 at 11:14 PM

Hah, well I imagine I could very easily meet the financial requirements.. just didn't know if it was really necessary. CBP won't hassle me for living full time in TJ, I would just have to prove it to MX officials on the very off chance I was ever in that situation, is that correct?
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2014 at 11:20 PM

what mx official would ever ask? why would they care? living, visiting, vacationing??? my advise is don't bother with any of it. hang on, here it comes!:lol:
Jcbrub

[*] posted on 8-19-2014 at 11:23 PM

Haha, well thanks, I just wanted to make sure CBP had no issues with me residing in TJ without a mx visa...
tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 12:30 AM

I moved to TJ last September, and moved back to San Diego this past May. Even with a Sentri, the border crossing was much of a hassle, it was inconvenient, and caused me hardships for working. I just couldn't see myself driving all that distance every day for work.

Yes, my rent was less, but for what it cost me in gas and time, it wasn't worth it. Now that I'm back in San Diego, I'm able to save, since I'm working again. I now only need once insurance policy, and that's a savings of $140 every six months, along with what I save in gas.

Plus, I have unlimited hot water, and it's on every day.

[Edited on 8-20-2014 by tjsue]
Jcbrub

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 12:35 AM

Wow, sorry to hear that. I'm actually going to be paying just slightly higher rent in TJ. I currently rent a room in a nice house in Mission Hills for $700 and am going to be renting a brand new condo por Chapultepec for $800. I know with allstate insurance I'm covered as long as i'm within 100 miles of the border, so hopefully I won't have any issues. And yeah it's gonna be a pain cause even with Sentri the morning wait can be around 30 mins and I have to drive up to UTC area of La Jolla, but it'll be worth it I suppose...
tjsue
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 12:51 AM

I've heard from some of my friends that the wait in the Sentri line is now an hour. I predict it'll be more than that next year.

I would never rent a room in a house, I don't like living with other people. I went from 1 1/2 bedrooms to a small studio. My rent is $595 per month, and I don't pay utilities, but at least I can get up and go wherever I want, whenever I want, without the hassle of crossing the border. I'm waiting for a one bedroom to open up in my complex, then my rent will be $695 plus utilities.

I don't live in an upscale neighborhood like Mission Hills, and really don't care to. I now live in Shelltown, which is a neighborhood within Barrio Logan. It's very convenient to public transportation and shopping, especially since I don't like to drive. I just catch the bus to wherever I want to go, and keep my driving as an option.

Living in TJ wasn't for me, and I really hated driving there. When I need to go across for some reason, I just take a cab, it's much easier.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 12:57 AM

Quote:
I know with allstate insurance I'm covered as long as i'm within 100 miles of the border, so hopefully I won't have any issues.

http://traveltips.usatoday.com/car-insurance-travel-mexico-1...

http://www.bajabound.com/info/whybuy.php

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 06:36 AM

Quote:
I know with allstate insurance I'm covered as long as i'm within 100 miles of the border, so hopefully I won't have any issues.

I bet the policy would be cancelled if they knew you were living in Mexico.

Shhh.... ;D
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 07:23 AM

Quote:

hmm - I would get a second annual insurance policy exclusively for Mexico - they're not that expensive
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 07:29 AM

Yeah, that's right. Even if the Allstate policy works the Mexican authorities aren't going to recognize it if there is an accident.
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 07:33 AM

When you change addresses, you are required to notify SENTRI and explain where, why and when you moved. As you know, when crossing, you will routinely be asked why you were in MX and where you are going. Those answers could impact the SENTRI status. SENTRI is run like the Gestapo so be careful what you say and do. One person posted that the San Ysidro SENTRI office is not so Gestapo.

With SENTRI, I was sent to secondary 2 or three times in the first year and then not at all for about 2 years.

I had terrible and expensive experience with a PO box service in San Ysidro called Mr. Mail. They were very bad and charge you dollars extra for every package or oversize letter. $6. for one package alone. I had a wrapped Christmas gift torn into and the business owner just shrugged.

I now use a fantastic PO box service near old town, on Rosecrans just north of I-5 freeway called American Mail. The owner travels allot in MX and is a very accommodating businessman. They don't charge anything to receive any oversize mail.

A motorcycle or scooter is a dream at the border. Some people even park a car on the US side and park the bike after crossing the border.

You will have things stolen if you leave them unsecured. I have my car and motorcycle locked up in my parking area. I also have fake camera's and a cheap motion sensor, that chimes inside my house. Harbor Freight tools; 12 bucks each.
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 07:53 AM
Mail Address

We use this place:

https://postalannex.com/location/mailbox-rental/6

Easy on/off the I-5, 24 hour access, UPS and FedEx package delivery

durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 08:01 AM
Just FYI

It took me 2 years and almost $2000 (including going to Juarez twice for her interview) to get my wife her Permanent Resident Card for the US. At the first interview in Juarez, which is the only Consulate that does them) We didn't have physical proof that we were in a true martial relationship rahter than just a marriage of convenience in order to get the green card. They didn't actually ask for pictures of us having sex but sort of implied that those would help. Also, before the interview my wife had to submit to a complete physical exam at the Consulate's one and only approved facility and that took nearly 8 hours to get through.

Bob Durrell
SlyOnce
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-20-2014 at 08:10 AM

I live in Playas with my MX novia 24 years younger than me. She works in a school. I cross the border every day and work in Claremont Mesa (San Diego). I hit the SENTRI line about 5:45 AM and usually wait less than 15 minutes. At that hour, traffic is light. I start work at 7, leave at 4, and am sitting on my patio, drinking cool beverage and watching the sunset over the ocean every night by 5 PM. I have been doing this for a year. We like to walk on the beach, go to the coffee shops, and try new places to eat in Playas. There is always something going on.

I never got any kind of visa. I've never been asked, and I signed a lease with no problems. My novia also is on the lease, and her mom signed as the reference.

Utilities are included in our rent, we only pay water, in cash, to the rental office.

My US cell phone and US Verizon wi fi (Internet) work, so we don't have Telcel, Infinitum, or Cablemas. But those are all available in the apartment, I'd put them in her name.

I have a PO Box at Postal Annex with a street address not a PO Box - this is known as a PMB (private mail box). They text me if I get a package or letter.

I did not file a change of address with the CBP.

I tell the officers every morning I live in Playas, get sent to secondary for the SENTRI compliance check about once every 3 months. Keep your paperwork up to date. This is not an issue. At 6 AM everyone in the line lives in TJ and works in the US. I've been asked where I live and how I like it.

I have MX car insurance on both cars.

Everyone at my job knows I live in Playas but officially my address is the PMB (private mail box) at Postal Annex.

If I was to drive south of Ensenada I'd get a tourist visa.

My novia has a US visa and BCC and she crosses in the car with me in the REDI lanes without any problems, questions, or issues. We just hand over our cards and say we are going sailing, or shopping, or whatever - we never lie to them.

We are not married, but having a MX novia makes lots of things easier, for example, she is perfectly bi lingual, educated, yet street smart and you can't bullchit her or over charge her or whatever. She helps us get better deals.

I carried my household items over the border headed south a few things at a time. I took new items out of the boxes. I never declared anything. I got sent to MX secondary a few times and never got asked to pay duty on an old waffle maker or blender or stuff like that. I did buy a new refrigerator and declared that and paid duty.\

We bought a high end HD flat screen TV in Walmart on the MX side.

I love living there. Rent is cheaper, the view is wonderful, we have adventures on both sides of the border.

Feel free to send me a private message for anything else.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.