Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Hussongs
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2014 at 08:44 PM
Hussongs

Our niece and BF were in town last week visiting from VA. Since we took her to Baja last year she's been wanting a return trip. We thought a stop at Hussongs is almost a rite of passage for visitors to Baja, since its been around since 1892. On a Thursday afternoon we were the only tourists, and a few locals sampling the cold beer. Didn't stop the band from staying for a few songs...............

bajadogs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2014 at 08:56 PM

Thanks Ken. It's good to know familiar places are still waiting for me. Hussong's is always a great time. Great Pix.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-26-2014 at 09:41 PM

Which Hussongs though? Last I stopped and visited, there were about 14 different stores, bars, shoppes, clothing outlets, trinket sales (with logo on everything) and that was several years before. Yes, have had 2 - 3 visits to the original bar, a few Sangre De Maria's, but never in the late hours... my loss I admit. Saw the T-chirts in the early '80s before I visited Baja, glad to have trod the ol' warped floor.

Cruise Shippers still love it, if they remember that is. Last time there we got followed half a block by a less-than-reputable character asking if we wanted to 'score' sumpin'.... even the ''NO, gracias w/ finger-wave didn't deter: he promised if i'd front him, he'd return with the goods. Now, fellow story-followers, this is irrefutable proof I'M NOT AS DUMB AS I APPARENTLY LOOK!!
:lol:
Anyway, that's my Hussong's story. Neat place, and if walls could talk, you'd need a whole library.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2014 at 10:41 PM

Gotta admit. I killed a few braincells there when I was young. I'm pretty sure I had some great times there. ;)

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-27-2014 at 06:49 AM

I loved Hussongs!!!! First visit in 1956, aint the same,but have returned many times..... amazing article in Playboy, long time back..by Dan? somebody who summed it up....Hussongs is in a force field of sorts, which once entered, causes insanity ( Paraphrased) AH YES....them wuz the days....

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2014 at 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadogs
Thanks Ken. It's good to know familiar places are still waiting for me. Hussong's is always a great time. Great Pix.

Thanks dogs! We all had fun.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2014 at 09:58 AM

interesting contrast don't you think, hussongs that's remained the same for decades and that stainless steel euro-trash looking disco nightclub right next door! a little history, hussongs was originally on the corner that was always the old papas n beer thats now moved across the street. progress I suppose :(
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2014 at 10:10 AM

We were asked to leave once for being to routy. Oh well.
StuckSucks
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2014 at 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
We were asked to leave once for being to routy. Oh well.

At Houssong's, that's saying something.

Cliffy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2014 at 10:46 AM

Worked for a guy many years ago (he died many years ago also) who got married at Hussongs and the old man was his Best Man at the wedding. This guy also owned all of Searchlight, Nevada at one time.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2014 at 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cliffy
Worked for a guy many years ago (he died many years ago also) who got married at Hussongs and the old man was his Best Man at the wedding. This guy also owned all of Searchlight, Nevada at one time.

is that where the bridesmaids came from? :lol: bet he died with a smile on his face?
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2014 at 11:14 AM

A number of years ago on a bar hopping tour of Ensenada with friends, we hit Hussongs late in the evening. Everybody was already pretty fueled up, and my buddy Jack had one too many shots and staggered out for some fresh air. We walked out about half an hour later to find Jack sitting on the curb outside, head in hands, puking the last of his guts out. Seated right next to him was a woman in exactly the same situation. One of my friends remarked, "Hey, looks like Jack's got himself a new girlfriend!" Ah, good times.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2014 at 11:14 AM

Quote:

Thanks dogs! We all had fun.

There's truth in that, 1st time for me in Hussongs was '70 or so,
walked in one Sat. in july, a while back 6 people inside, while Papas
and Beer, or whatever is across the st./next door was filled with
Cruise Shippers. The place looked a lot smaller that I remember
bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2014 at 11:34 AM

I sat with an old actor, in Hussong's, that lived on a sailboat. He'd entertain a guy like me for drinks. About 1976.

He taught me a limerick that is totally unsuitable for this particular spot. Perhaps with changes, it can slide without my decapitation. It went:

"On the bridge stood the bishop of buckingham, thinking of sits and of tucking them. Watching the stunts of the what do you call 'ems in the punts, and the tricks of the fricks that were pucking them".

He was a real Baja character . . .

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2014 at 07:19 AM

My first time at Hussongs was in 1985. I remember that the walls were completely covered with business cards back then. Have been back many, many times since! Gonna be back there this weekend !!!!!

:bounce:

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Phil C
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2014 at 08:24 AM

Used to go into Hussongs when we were camping and surfing at 3 m's back in the early seventys. Where the fish plant is now. When an attractive young lady would go into the restroom,they would rig up a platter of glasses and attach it to the door somehow, so that it would fall and make a huge noise when the door opened and the gal came out. Always got a good laugh. Always remember the smell of the cleaner mixed with sawdust on the floor, and characters. I still go in when I'm kicking around Ensanada.
Vince
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2014 at 08:42 AM

During the early 1950's the Newport to Ensenada race sailed on the same weekend as Cinco de Mayo. The sailors were ready to party that weekend every year. Hussongs was the place to meet. The 1954 weekend was no exception, many of us were in the bar celebrating when two Mexican cowboys rode into the bar on their horses and joined us. Man, that was chaos! Tables and chairs with pitchers of beer were being tossed around by the horses. All in good nature, no one got kicked out, the vaqueros left on their own and we continued. Thanks for the photos and memories.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-28-2014 at 09:10 AM

Great stories!

The bar dates back to the gold mining days. I met Walt Hussong (great-grandson of the first Walt?) in 2003 at my Viva Baja #4 party. Very nice man, and invited me to have future parties at his hot springs ranch in San Carlos Canyon.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-28-2014 at 10:34 AM

Hussongs was actually founded by John (Johann) Hussong, born in Germany in1863. Immigrated to the US in 1888, Mexico in 1889. He ran Meiigs Bar for about a year, then bought the Southern Lane Stage Stop building and opened John Hussongs Bar in 1892. The bar has remained in that location since it opened. It has liquor licence 002. Richard (Ricardo) Hussong is the present owner..Don Carlos Orozco is credited for creating the Margarita there, named after the Daughter of the German Ambassador or such...

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2014 at 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil C
Used to go into Hussongs when we were camping and surfing at 3 m's back in the early seventys

3 m's, that is going back a ways, used to be a guy weaving baskets at the entrance, then the nitely firework fights, not a
smart thing to do. Anybody remember an Old Gringo Coot in Hussongs, early '80's, called himself Ensenada Papa?, kinda
played a guitar to the amusement of bar goers
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.