Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Closure of the Baja coast
huesos
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2014 at 05:12 PM
Closure of the Baja coast

Just looking at the coastline this year as compared to thirty years ago is nauseating. Under Mexican law, anyone can deny public access to the coast by buying the land fronting the beach. The situation at Salsepuedes is a great example.
The Maldives have tried this model for decades now and have been somewhat surprised by the public's reaction to their plea for assistance in stopping sea level rise. Some of the surf community have told them to learn to breathe under water and have fun doing it. I notice that they are beginning to talk out of a different side of their mouth just recently.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 8-27-2014 at 05:35 PM

????????

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2014 at 06:02 PM

...yes

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-27-2014 at 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by huesos
Just looking at the coastline this year as compared to thirty years ago is nauseating. Under Mexican law, anyone can deny public access to the coast by buying the land fronting the beach. The situation at Salsepuedes is a great example.
The Maldives have tried this model for decades now and have been somewhat surprised by the public's reaction to their plea for assistance in stopping sea level rise. Some of the surf community have told them to learn to breathe under water and have fun doing it. I notice that they are beginning to talk out of a different side of their mouth just recently.

Yes, ALL of the Baja coast is closed, you should stay home. Situation very bad. Barb wire everywhere. :(

Last I heard the Maldives were all gone, and all the inhabitants moved to Riverside and Temecula. Are there still a couple islands left?
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2014 at 06:44 PM

I know some spots ..
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2014 at 06:58 PM

...musta tried surfing south of san felippe

.............access would be the -least- of your problems ?? :no::?:
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2014 at 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by huesos

Interestingly the sea level in the Maldives has actually fallen. Criminal charges have been brought against the politicians seeking financial and political gain through false sea level representation.

And most of Baja remains open.

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2009/03/19/despite-popular-opinio...

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/7438683/rising-credulity...

http://blogs.law.widener.edu/climate/category/crime-against-...
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-27-2014 at 07:36 PM

RIP Salsi.

BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2014 at 09:42 AM

I understand what the guy is saying. There are quite a few spots you can't get to anymore. A few that I really enjoyed surfing too.

For example the beach break just north of Campo Lopez has been breaking better than usual lately and I haven't had luck getting in there with those new condos.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2014 at 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BooJumMan
I understand what the guy is saying. There are quite a few spots you can't get to anymore. A few that I really enjoyed surfing too.

For example the beach break just north of Campo Lopez has been breaking better than usual lately and I haven't had luck getting in there with those new condos.

(FYI, across the road from the Mazatlan bar there's a gap in the fence you can walk thru then paddle in from around the arch.)
but yeah, lookin more and more like the ranch these days! :(
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-28-2014 at 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BooJumMan

K55 used to be a real spot, like K38's. always campers there back when. seems like the sand got gouged into deeper water and never came back.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2014 at 09:57 AM

we used to drive down onto the beach on the outside of Calafia where the condos come up from the water now. there was a b-tchen cove there with just enough room to turn around or just back down and drive out. those were the daze.....

MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 8-28-2014 at 12:15 PM

Now, you have to "know" how to get to many spots. The days of driving up and going out are gone. I do miss the easier access of days gone by. We use kayaks, and now we walk into spots too.

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

Tomas Tierra
Super Nomad

Mood: Tengo Flojera

[*] posted on 8-28-2014 at 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
we used to drive down onto the beach on the outside of Calafia where the condos come up from the water now. there was a b-tchen cove there with just enough room to turn around or just back down and drive out. those were the daze.....

Mushroom reef?
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-29-2014 at 02:51 AM

Far's beaches and shorelines changing, there's a wonderful saying in the geological circles; "Earth Happens". Did rivers for 30+ years, and the shores, channels and rapids are constantly moving/changing. The San Juan River is the International Border between the U.S. and the Navajo Nation on the northern boundary, and is constantly shifting back and forth in several sections for several hundreds of yards at a time. Finally came to a head in Federal courts, and white ranchers were outraged when they lost some acreage they claimed "we farmed for 5 generations!". Well, the Navajo had them for a few more than that, and won. Same goes with ocean shorelines... EARTH HAPPENS. Sedimentary/riparian areas make bad boundary lines, always subject to dispute and change.

Fun to watch though... :coolup:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2014 at 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tomas Tierra
Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view

Mushroom reef?

yep!

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2014 at 07:31 AM

The laws always favor the rich, or so it seems. In this case, the beaches, The Federal Zone, which only goes to 20 mts. above the "mean high tide" line, belongs to the people, but you can't violate private property to get to it.
Although I agree with this decision, I feel it a shortcoming of government not to rectify the problem which they have designed.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2014 at 07:36 AM

have you seen the tower coming out of the water at Calafia? it isn't 60 feet above the waterline..........

pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2014 at 02:07 PM

been a looooong time since i surfed the north for this reason. unless you have private access it's pretty much over. like woody said, use to roll down to 38,55,etc set camp and surf for weekend getaways.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2014 at 08:19 PM

i know you guys have seen "Mushrooms" before. look up Hurricane Olivia back in mid/late 80's......

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.