BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  
Author: Subject: What?? Montezuma's Revenge AGAIN???
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 8-30-2014 at 09:27 PM

Have a wonderful evening!! It is another beautiful night in Baja!! God Bless everyone and stay safe! Good night all.
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2014 at 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by UnoMas
From someone who has experienced several cases of food poisoning, a case of Salmonella Typhi (Typhoid Fever) and E.Coli while living in Baja. You should have lab work done if your Diarrhea lasts more than three days. This stuff will kill you and think telling anyone to take pepto bismol for episodes lasting WEEKS and not see a Doctor is amateur at best.. Not a Doctor just my opinion.:light:
Quote:

When I worked as a physician in Cantu, people came to me that had diarrhea for weeks. I gave them the generic clinic Bismuth Salicylate, and told them to take two capfuls after each diarrhea movement, until it stopped. Not one came back to me with the same problem. Antibiotics can actually kill the natural intestinal flora and cause more problems.

Had this condition last Spring. Stopped eating, focused on electrolytes, then bland diet, pepto, nothing stayed in. Gave it four days before getting a 'script for antibiotic, probiotic from Doc Arce in Pescadero. Lost 10 pounds.

Think Janene meant days and not weeks. Seriously, weeks of this stuff you'll be in a hospital if not dead.

Now for some humor: what do you call the class clown who graduates last in her medical school class? Doctor.
UnoMas
Nomad

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 8-30-2014 at 10:03 PM

Lee,
Two weeks into it I wished I was dead and damn near was. Took the most powerful antibiotic for 21 days.
Don't under estimate Diarrhea, the cause can kill you!
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-30-2014 at 10:18 PM

Quote:
Lee,
Two weeks into it I wished I was dead and damn near was. Took the most powerful antibiotic for 21 days.
Don't under estimate Diarrhea, the cause can kill you!

UnoMas; did you have a Dr. prescribe the antibiotic, and did he/she do a stool sample, wait 3 days to give it to you?

There's a HUGE difference here between 'traveler's diarrhea' and much stronger and more severe cases of the Hershey Squirts. My first trip to Mazatlán in the early 80's ended up with amoebic dysentery, and I had 2-3 weeks of HELL followed by almost 6 months of on-off symptoms; that's when I started paying attention to details. I fell in love with Mexico, and many, many times with 'traveler's squirts' I've learned the difference and what to do, both self- and medical interventional- care.

Ain't fun, that's fo sho'. IT'S THE CHITS! ... as they say.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-30-2014 at 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
I think you misinterpreted my statement. The patients that came to me for weeks had been to other doctors not me. The first time they came to me I started them on Pepto Bismol because most likely the antibiotics they had been on for weeks had destroyed their normal stomach flora.

But you know what, don't ask me. I am on here to discuss topics and maybe to joke around a bit and have a little fun. I do love helping others and trying to give tips to people. Yet over on Ron Hoff's forum, TalkBaja, he feels differently. He feels he can slam me and my reputation and he feels safe doing it, and you know why? I am blocked from reading any comments about me because he knows I can't see what he is saying, and I can't respond either.

Doctora,
When you tire of the asshollees here, just turn off your computer. A big world outside of here.
UnoMas
Nomad

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 8-30-2014 at 10:44 PM

Bajabuddha,
Yes,Yes, and Yes. I think the only reason for the three day delay was it took that long for the lab results. Had to be sent out of town as no lab there.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 8-30-2014 at 10:53 PM

Quote:
Bajabuddha,
Yes,Yes, and Yes. I think the only reason for the three day delay was it took that long for the lab results. Had to be sent out of town as no lab there.

Agreed, and most times in the States it has to be petri-dished, cultured, and identified, which can take up to 3 days, or even more, depending... THEN they can diagnose what bug it is, and which antibiotic will (or may) do the trick. Sooo many spectrums, soooo little thyme.

Again, it's my belief, only use 'stopper-uppers' if you have to travel and need to be... safe... otherwise, STAY HYDRATED with lots of water with supplemental electrolytes like chicken broth and Pedia-Lite or whatever, unless symptoms turn for the worse; let it run (gawd I love to say that!) its' course and after 2-3 days or worsening symptoms, get to a REAL doctor.

The use of Pepto, Imodium, etc. turns your lower gut into a nice, warm incubator for the bugs. FLUSH 'EM. If it's bad, or blood, get IMMEDIATE MEDICAL ATTENTION. GO TO THE PROFESSIONALS.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2014 at 02:17 AM

....if only there was a cure for diarrhea of the -verbal- variety :yes: :smug::wow:
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 8-31-2014 at 12:00 PM

Got a dose of it once, an overnight thing. Attributed it to some bad Tecate. Have been free of any symptoms since switching to Modela.:yes:
KurtG
Super Nomad

Mood: Press On Regardless!!

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 11:34 AM

There has been no mention of either Treda or Kaomycin unless I missed it in all these pages. I rarely have any problem but I carry Treda in my motorcycle saddle bag just in case. Two tabs at first indication of a problem and then two spaced 6 hours apart has done it for me. If that didn't work I would be looking for a doctor. About 50 years ago in SE Asia I experienced amoebic dysentery and it took nearly five years to clear up completely so I am very aware of the difference. I wouldn't take either of these drugs for more than a day.
LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 11:45 AM

A lot of the Gringos in Baja swear by Treda.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 06:12 PM

Kurt,

Treda is Kaopectate and Neomycin. Kaopectate is an orally taken medication from Chattem, Inc. for the treatment of mild diarrhea. It is also sometimes used to treat indigestion, nausea and stomach ulcers. The active ingredients have varied over time, and are different between the United States and Canada. The original active ingredients were kaolinite and pectin. In the U.S., the active ingredient is now bismuth subsalicylate, the same as in Pepto-Bismol.

The active ingredient in kaopectate has changed since its original creation. Originally, kaolinite was used as the adsorbent and pectin as the emollient. Attapulgite (a type of absorbent clay) replaced the kaolinite in the 1980s, but was found to be unproven as to effectiveness by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in a ruling made in April of 2003. As a consequence, since 2004, bismuth subsalicylate has been used as the active ingredient in U.S. marketed products.[1] In Canada, McNeil Consumer Healthcare continues to market kaopectate using attapulgite as the active ingredient. Kaomycin is essentially Kaopectate with neomycin added (same as Treda). Neomycin should not be used for non-infectious diarrhea but has been shown to be helpful in some cases of infectious diarrhea. Once again Doctor Baja Buddha is sending out erroneous and potentially dangerous information. Bismuth Subsalicylate the active ingredient in Pepto-Bismol does have mild antibacterial properties and can kill or inhibit some harmful bacteria in the intestinal tract.
Quote:
Originally posted by KurtG
There has been no mention of either Treda or Kaomycin unless I missed it in all these pages. I rarely have any problem but I carry Treda in my motorcycle saddle bag just in case. Two tabs at first indication of a problem and then two spaced 6 hours apart has done it for me. If that didn't work I would be looking for a doctor. About 50 years ago in SE Asia I experienced amoebic dysentery and it took nearly five years to clear up completely so I am very aware of the difference. I wouldn't take either of these drugs for more than a day.

[Edited on 9-3-2014 by EnsenadaDr]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 07:52 PM

Only in nomadlandia could people have so much idle time and be so passionate about their own chiitt that they would argue about diarhea for more than 5 days and 5 pages of posts...

Peace out!
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Only in nomadlandia could people have so much idle time and be so passionate about their own chiitt that they would argue about diarhea for more than 5 days and 5 pages of posts...

Peace out!

Nurse comes into the 7/11 for a six-pack, looks tired.

Counter lady tells her she looks tired and she says yea, had to pull a double shift, someone didn't show. I'm going home, kick my shoes off, have a couple of beers and get some sleep, it's been a b***h day.

She pulls out her checkbook, reaches into the pocket of her nurse smock and pulls out a thermometer. "Oh, CHIT! After everything else that's happened today now some azzholes got my pen."
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 08:10 PM

Quote:
Kurt,

Treda is Kaopectate and Neomycin. Kaopectate is an orally taken medication from Chattem, Inc. for the treatment of mild diarrhea. It is also sometimes used to treat indigestion, nausea and stomach ulcers. The active ingredients have varied over time, and are different between the United States and Canada. The original active ingredients were kaolinite and pectin. In the U.S., the active ingredient is now bismuth subsalicylate, the same as in Pepto-Bismol.

The active ingredient in kaopectate has changed since its original creation. Originally, kaolinite was used as the adsorbent and pectin as the emollient. Attapulgite (a type of absorbent clay) replaced the kaolinite in the 1980s, but was found to be unproven as to effectiveness by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in a ruling made in April of 2003. As a consequence, since 2004, bismuth subsalicylate has been used as the active ingredient in U.S. marketed products.[1] In Canada, McNeil Consumer Healthcare continues to market kaopectate using attapulgite as the active ingredient. Kaomycin is essentially Kaopectate with neomycin added (same as Treda). Neomycin should not be used for non-infectious diarrhea but has been shown to be helpful in some cases of infectious diarrhea. Once again Doctor Baja Buddha is sending out erroneous and potentially dangerous information. Bismuth Subsalicylate the active ingredient in Pepto-Bismol does have mild antibacterial properties and can kill or inhibit some harmful bacteria in the intestinal tract.
Quote:

I'm sure your intentions are well placed...but do you always cut and copy and claim as your own? I would take you a bit more seriously if you did a better job differentiating between your professional opinion versus your internet trolling....:light:

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Quote:
Kurt,

Quote:

I'm sure your intentions are well placed...but do you always cut and copy and claim as your own? I would take you a bit more seriously if you did a better job differentiating between your professional opinion versus your internet trolling....:light:

At least there should have been a footnote http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaopectate

:rolleyes:
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 08:50 PM

My information came from a part of Dr. Oz's summary, Diarrhea and you. HMMM....I didn't know he used Wikipedia. But I guess it has some reliable information if Dr. Oz used it!!
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 08:56 PM

Quote:
My information came from a part of Dr. Oz's summary, Diarrhea and you. HMMM....I didn't know he used Wikipedia. But I guess it has some reliable information if Dr. Oz used it!!

Dr. Oz, same guy thats famous for his diet scams?:?: oh yeah, that'll work!:lol:
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 09:07 PM

ok I will leave it then to the panel of experts here. You guys duke it out.

Good night all.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by willardguy
Quote:

Dr. Oz, same guy thats famous for his diet scams?:?: oh yeah, that'll work!:lol:

.... the gift that keeps on giving :no::yawn::tumble::yes:

...it would be totally impossible to make this stuff up!!:o:O:rolleyes:

..........I can -hardly- wait till next week's topic:tumble::spingrin:

[Edited on 9-3-2014 by micah202]
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.