Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: BOLA
LukeJobbins
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2014 at 10:12 PM
BOLA

Just went down for a quick getaway after way too much working and living in socal. I was originally going to go down straight to the bay on Tuesday and have wed, thursday and drive up friday but with a abnormally giant hurricane swell coming in plans got changed to try to find some waves on the way down. Anyways, I ended up getting to the bay mid afternoon wed and got some sodas and an ice top off for the cooler and headed to La Gringa to camp and relax. When I showed up it was crazy hot especially after driving in a car with no ac for hours through the desert. I jumped in the water and was joined by a bull dorado crashing shore right next to me. It was easily 4ft from head to tail and just out of reaching distance from me. I ran up to my car and grabbed my rod. The big one disappeared but a school of smaller ones showed up and were chasing needle fish up onto the shore. I ended up getting one around 10 pounds while standing in waist deep water within 25 minutes of arriving. Even after destroying the filleting I ended up with enough meat for 4 meals. I ended up camping one night and leaving in the evening on Thursday just to break up the drive into two 4 hour trips instead of 1 long one. Woke up Thursday morning to a pack of coyotes walking up to me and I grabbed a crow bar and my fillet knife and had a stand off with them. There were 5 coyotes and they surrounded me in 3/4 circle about 15 feet from me. I felt like Liam Neeson in Into the Grey. They stared at me for about 5 minutes deciding if they wanted to die at the end of my crowbar and then they slowly left. All in all a perfect getaway that completely rejuvenated me and left me with so many stories. I could probably talk about the trip and tell my adventure stories longer than my trip actually took. Thanks BOLA for another adventure. 21 years and counting. Sorry no pictures now because I had a disposable camera and it will be a while until I get it developed.

P.S. for anyone wondering if a trip and gas all that is worth a short trip. IT IS!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-29-2014 at 10:17 PM

Cool!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ehall
Super Nomad

Mood: It's 5 o'clock somewhere

[*] posted on 8-29-2014 at 10:22 PM

They probably just wanted a taste of that delicious dorado.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2014 at 09:56 AM

Wow, good fishing and a good scare.
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2014 at 05:22 PM

Great report! (jealous jealous jealous!!!).
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-31-2014 at 06:10 PM

a most excellent adventure!!!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 8-31-2014 at 06:13 PM

Wow. Quite a trip.

Where did you camp Thursday night? Those sound like pretty aggressive coyotes.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Maron
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2014 at 08:45 PM

Great, the fire did not scare away the coyotes?? Any trip south is worth the gas and time, in our opinion.

Peace
JohnK
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2014 at 08:48 PM

They walked off with my wife's sneakers at night last time we were there. The attendant, can't remember his name, found them and brought them back to us.
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2014 at 11:56 PM

A few years ago near Punta Baja Bob the coyotes made off with my friend's dutch oven lid...not much inside so I guess they did it to teach him a lesson. We went back about six months later and with a bit of searching found it. If you think about it, how far can they REALLY go with it?????
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2014 at 09:24 AM

Paragraph breaks are your friend.
Tioloco
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2014 at 10:24 AM

Awesome shot!
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 9-2-2014 at 12:35 PM
dittos

Quote:
Originally posted by JZ
Paragraph breaks are your friend.

to that JZ!!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 09:13 AM

What! Coyotes being that aggressive!!?? They must've been hungry!
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista
Wow. Quite a trip.

Where did you camp Thursday night? Those sound like pretty aggressive coyotes.

..sound like that new strain of Crystalyotes that's getting around--too desperate for their own good :no:

[Edited on 9-4-2014 by micah202]
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnK

They walked off with my wife's sneakers at night last time we were there.

That's pretty common with coyotes. They will take them more than any other thing in camp. My theory is that they like the body salts that the sneakers absorb over time.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 07:53 PM

We saw lots of coyotes in the south end of the bay this summer. They came down to the beach to eat the sardines that were stranded on the shore from being chased by the toro at high tide.

Our baja dog Mooney had her fill of sardines almost daily, saved us on dog kibbles. She also kept the coyotes out of our camp. They gave her a wide berth.

P>*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2014 at 11:43 PM

...and water. More than your food or your sneakers they want your water! Put it safely away at night.
Pappy Jon
Nomad

Mood: Temp rising.

[*] posted on 9-14-2014 at 06:28 AM

I had coyotes take my sandals once. coyotes down there and can usually get them howling. They have never been aggressive.

"The association of flowers and warm-blooded love is more than a romantic convention; it is based upon one of the great advances in the evolution of life." Ed Abbey
Mark_BC
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2014 at 11:10 PM

They stole my cheese while I was there. I was stupid and left a plastic bag with groceries under my bag beside my tent at dark for a few minutes. They could have gotten a lot more but I recovered most of it within 50 feet of the tent.

I was very careful with my puppy there and everywhere else, ever letting her out of physical contact with me. At night she woke up and was barking, I think they came pretty close to the tent. I got her in Guerrero Negro, a mangy little worm infested street rat. But very cute. Now she has turned into this awesome loyal and fun dog. I think she has coyote in her but it's hard for me to distance myself. She is pretty small, only 18 pounds.

Here she is today:
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.