Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  6
Author: Subject: all panga owners
bigmike58
Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 9-3-2014 at 06:58 AM
10 pages- is my guess

I tend to agree with the Capt. on panga's in general (he's on his own for the Capt. rant). The panga's I've been in seem to be,

10. Crudely built
9. Rock and roll- too narrow
8. Ride crappy- too light
7. Lean way too much when gaffing with two peeps on one side.
6. Uncomfortable to fish or ride in.
5. Lack of storage
4. No electronics
3. No potty for the girls
2. Lack shade

and my number one reason,

1. Panga's are just flat out Butt Azz Ugly!

But, on the plus side, they take a beating, never need a wash or wax and get good fuel mpg. They are the "Yugo's of the Sea "

Oh Yeah, They are also great for carrying large loads and are highly recommended by 9 out of 10 Somali Pirates.

Shouldn\'t one have to pass a urine test to get a welfare check or Sec.8 housing?
........... I had to pass one to earn it for them!

\"I\'ve now been in 57 states? I think one left to go?\"
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-3-2014 at 07:30 AM

well I beg to differ on several points....of course there are several varieties of panga designs, many of which are very very stable, wider, higher free board etc. and I think they are beautiful...of course that is in the eye of the beholder. When choosing a boat, one must take into consideration the conditions and local area such as lack of docks and easy launching like in Asuncion. Big deep V hulled sport fishers are very difficult to get in and out of the water.

I was a panga convert before I lived in Baja when the natives in Tofino (on the west coast of Vancouver Island) got a couple. This area is known for it's bad weather, huge open ocean seas and wind. The pangas performed better than any other vessel and are very popular there now.

The panga can be beached safely and pushed on and off beaches like no other boat. Any 23' boat that can hold 10 overweight whale watchers and still get onto a plane with a 40 hsp outboard is a good design in my books. I have seen 8 people leaning way over to feel up a whale and the panga stayed upright!
One simply has to build in what you require for electronics, we have fish finder, gps and radio on ours...Ladies can pee in a bucket just fine.

A side note as well...the lancheros that operate the whale watching pangas have to take a course and test and have a license of some sort to run them.

While some panga fishermen may not have captain's tickets, I would trust them with my life over some gringo captain any day...local knowledge, experience and history go a long way in understanding and being safe in the sea in your barrio.

Viva las pangas!

[Edited on 9-3-2014 by shari]

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 9-3-2014 at 07:53 AM

with ya all the way on this one, shari!.....our "purple haze" 28 foot panga in mulege is the smoothest, most comfortable boat we have ever owned, and we've had a few of them...and it draws about a foot of water which is perfect for launching on the river.....viva la pangas!!!

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 9-3-2014 at 08:49 AM
OH MYYY!!!

:rolleyes:....BTW Mac & mary from marina de la paz are GREAT folks.. if you know crap about Panga'S (slappers)

[Edited on 9-3-2014 by captkw]
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 08:04 AM

I find it amazing to hear negative comments about pangas since there are so many different types and designs but all have been the workhorse in the Sea of Cortez for many, many years. One of the most popular designs was from ARCA which was started by Max Shoyer from La Paz who imported a builder and family from the mainland who had a lot of experience with boats specifically designed for the Sea of Cortez. That builder was Lupe Diaz who built those boats in La Paz up until they got embroiled in a labor dispute with help which caused the ARCO factory to shut down. Before shutting down you saw thousands of those boats up and down the coast and they were considered to be the best riding, safest, and most economical design available. They ran well with a 40-50 hp Yamaha Enduro and because of the design, did not create much drag in the water.

This is perhaps where they got the reputation as being rough riding, because they did not have electric trim and because of that, they were normally seen slapping the next wave in front of them. More a problem of trim, than design of the boat. When trim became available, most of that went away.

Lupe moved his shop to Los Barrilles and started up new molds in his shop with everything he had learned from building Arcas. The new panga was wider, had a different deadrise and was in many ways superior to the old Arca boats. Most of the pangueros chose to upgrade to the new panga and the used market had a lot of Arcas. Because of demand, he then developed the super panga which was larger and available in a lot of different lengths, but the 23 ruled the seas and was considered to be the best of the best. A lot of Gringos got in the act and started having Super Pangas built with center consoles, railings, t-tops and the like. Those are the boats still favored by Gordo's Pangas in Cabo.
Now, as far as the Sea of Cortez is concerned, the favorite boat is a Reformania which is built in Enpalme over by Guaymas on the mainland. Some of the layups almost equal vacuum bagged boats from US makers.
I must admit to liking some of the creature comforts on my boat, but at 21.5 feet, I need a 150 hp Yamaha to push it correctly, while I have a good friend who has a rebuilt Arca with a 75 hp Honda. When we go to Tortuga, which is a good 25 miles offshore, we travel together and while I burn 12-15 gallons of gas, he sips somewhere in the 4-5 gallons. Because he understands trim the boat does not pound and he manages the same speed as I do in my Triumph. I get real crowded if I have over three on board and he manages three just fine. He has installed comfortable seats. Probably the only thing that is different is that he does not let all three of those big boys hang on the side for gaffing or releasing a big fish.
I have spent many hours in a panga getting banged around and not having a comfortable seat, but that is not a fault of the panga, it is how someone set the boat up. The hull does its job very effectively and efficiently.

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 08:50 AM
Slappers

Hola,,I know mary, mac and Neal myself and are truly Great folks !!! Vega, Volkswagons and Vespa's got the job done !! same as a Panga..it will get the job done !! But that does not in any manner make it the boat of Choice if you know much about boats...Myself am tired of gringos coming down and thinking that would be a good boat to purchase.... Its a Wagon Wheel mential thing...bob & jose have one. I will do what they do !! same with fishing.. see it ALL the time !! main thing over all is having a fun (safe) time out there !! Tight lines and take a ride in some other boats and you wont be thinking Panga !!!!!:cool: PS...A guy named "tapedeck" wrote the maker of my boat and changed a little of the deck layout as he asked!! WOW...once you ride in a Cat there is no looking back !!!

[Edited on 9-4-2014 by captkw]
luv2fish
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 03:28 PM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=37200
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 06:35 PM
Hola luv2fish

And great post there.. the yanmar D18,D27,D36 and D40 are still being made and are rock solid and talk about range !! I dont know why they havnt caught on...And myself have only seen one and have never worked on a diesel outboard !! Yanmar has the market on these types of motors and I myself as a boat guy would love to run/test one !!! K&T
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 08:44 PM
To A TheBajaKid

your "utu's" show Me that you know very,,,Very Little about boats....BTW....this is what I do !! I Know most folks come to BAJA and think they know the lay of the the land and read "Baja catch" and think they really know __it !! So ,PLEASE ask my advise or F-OFF....Get my Drift !!! AS A PRO TECH/aka MASTER MARINE MECHANIC with more NAT. miles under my belt with lots of SAR INCEnDENTS & understand almost all folks don't..... a wannabee boat owner that has NO clue about the real storey!!!! I'm here to HELP fellows boaters and YOU are not ONE !!!!:?::?::?:

[Edited on 9-5-2014 by captkw]
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tioloco
I wonder what the official certification program was like to be the CAPTAIN of the Nina, Pinta or Santa Maria...... I bet they had certificates and all the appropriate safety gear. Haha!

On the other hand - he was lost. And hit the mother lode.

You couldn't get greater odds in Vegas.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-4-2014 at 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
your "utu's" show Me that you know very,,,Very Little about boats....BTW....this is what I do !! I Know most folks come to BAJA and think they know the lay of the the land and read "Baja catch" and think they really know __it !! So ,PLEASE ask my advise or F-OFF....Get my Drift !!! AS A PRO TECH/aka MASTER MARINE MECHANIC with more NAT. miles under my belt with lots of SAR INCEnDENTS & understand almost all folks don't..... a wannabee boat owner that has NO clue about the real storey!!!! I'm here to HELP fellows boaters and YOU are not ONE !!!!:?::?::?:

[Edited on 9-5-2014 by captkw]

Sounds like you think pretty highly of yourself and you think everybody should think so too, eh?
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-5-2014 at 07:12 AM

Blowhard.....

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2014 at 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Blowhard.....

really,,, old saying,, wish I could buy him for what he is worth
and sell him for what he thinks he is worth

[Edited on 9-5-2014 by desertcpl]
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2014 at 09:11 AM

Next he'll say the tacos in Baja suck.

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-5-2014 at 09:28 AM

I think it would come out as "The tires in Baja are stuck"

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Next he'll say the tacos in Baja suck.

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2014 at 10:15 AM
OOPS LO SEINTO

That last post from me was at a very late bad time for me !! a older friend (76) is now up to morphine every two hrs and I do not know how to deal with Death !! excuse me !! I do know Boats rather well and folks wait to pay me 95 hr for my boat skills and can say that pangas are SOOO over rated !! Guess WHAT !! So are BOSTON WHALERS...So,,,,put that in your pipe and smoke it !!! BTW I have had many nomads u2u me about their outboard problems and have gone WAY outta my way to help them...so b-tch all you want ..But you cant fix STUPID.... a PANGA is a workhorse and that's all it is....you don't see a the navy,,CC,harbor patrol and such using them ....Now do you ???
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2014 at 10:43 AM

Nothing wrong with a workhorse. What else would you use to go to work. You don't use a Bentley if you need a pickup truck. :coolup:

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2014 at 10:52 AM

Quote:
BTW I have had many nomads u2u me about their outboard problems and have gone WAY outta my way to help them...

That's true, we swapped several emails and I appreciate the free help.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-5-2014 at 10:58 AM

Quote:
That last post from me was at a very late bad time for me !! a older friend (76) is now up to morphine every two hrs and I do not know how to deal with Death !! excuse me !! I do know Boats rather well and folks wait to pay me 95 hr for my boat skills and can say that pangas are SOOO over rated !! Guess WHAT !! So are BOSTON WHALERS...So,,,,put that in your pipe and smoke it !!! BTW I have had many nomads u2u me about their outboard problems and have gone WAY outta my way to help them...so b-tch all you want ..But you cant fix STUPID.... a PANGA is a workhorse and that's all it is....you don't see a the navy,,CC,harbor patrol and such using them ....Now do you ???

ok, what utilitarian work boat is better than a panga? what does the "expert" recommend as better than a panga for a low maintenance light weight workhorse?

why are the boat choices of the navy, cg and harbor patrol relevant? should we all buy armored boats with gun mounts for an afternoon of recreational fishing?
luv2fish
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-5-2014 at 11:01 AM

What ya think bout Parkers ???

UNA MAS CERVEZA PORFAVOR, CON 5 TACOS DE TIBURON..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdXKHaeBGsI
 Pages:  1    3    5  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.