Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  27    29    31  ..  37
Author: Subject: HURRICANE WARNING FOR BAJA - ODILE - AFTERMATH
wetto
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 07:08 AM

good reporting from Latitude 38, Focused mainly on marinas / boat damages in these specific locations.

Cabo
Playa Tecolote
La Paz
Puerto Escomdito
Santa Rosalia

http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectronicday.lasso?date=...

Lee S
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 08:37 AM

Mil gracias, Shari!

Glad to see our little piece of heaven stayed intact.

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
I just got off the land line phone at the police station in Bahia Asuncion. Well amigos, once again Asuncion has proved an amazing place to live. Yes there were stong winds but very little rain so no flooding! Whew...did you all hear that huge sigh of relief.

There is no cell service or internet but land lines seem to work on and off. The cell tower in Sta.Rosalia was knocked down and there is no paso to Vizcaino. The buses from the north stop at Guerrro Negro as the big arroyo between GN & Vizcaino is running as they received lots of rain. I will call again tomorrow to see if the road is open. Might be my last day in the big city...Ensenada. There is no place like home.

my heart goes out to all who suffered losses and are dealing with all the damage...aid is on the way on several levels.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

ignatz

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 09:15 AM

Any reports yet come from Puerto Los Cabos/El Ganzo area?
CasaChristie

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 09:54 AM

Our friend in Mulege sent an email yesterday. Here are some excepts from it.

Just Back from Mulege, Will try and keep brief as the internet seems to be going in and out. Mulege is a mess. Lots of flooding and mud, no power or water as of now, extensive damage along the river. Jorge's and La Fortuna Parks, water place under the bridge, show signs of major flooding. Roofs gone, walls missing, etc. Town itself is a mess from the runoff from surrounding hills, but no significant wind damage. Not sure how bad it is in the Orchard or Oasis; Serenidad got about 6" of muddy water so assume they got it a lot worse. The "new" road along the river and the lower bridge seem to have survived. Lower road is closed on the town side due to debris before the new bridge.

The "hill" at Posada came through okay with a few homes having some tiles blown off and some thatch gone. Probably some water inside from leaking roofs. One abandon house has a wall collapse.

Posada on the beach has lots of debris in the streets but no obvious damage. The guard is on duty. The road to the North part of the beach is closed (washed out). Two sailboats moored out front of the beach washed ashore. One boat on a trailer in storage tipped over and is resting against a small yellow catamaran.

That's what I heard yesterday. Thanks everyone for keeping us up to date on any news heard.

Jean & John
Jaybo
Nomad

Mood: Praying for Baja!

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 10:04 AM

Great pictures from Nieto's visit to the Los Cabos area on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/PresidenciaMX/photos/a.694736007283...
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 10:06 AM

it appears that land lines are working fine and the electricity was back on in Asuncion yesterday so we have communication now anyway...now if I can just get home before Polo has his way with us. Anyone heading south with space for me please U2U me.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 10:35 AM

....at this point 'polo' is projected as a non-event

.....sorry to bring such disappointing news :rolleyes:
EdwardTeach

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 11:12 AM

The Wunderground weather stations reporting from La Paz and Ciudad Constitucion just popped up.
Justbozo
Nomad

Mood: Got my little stone hut on the bay

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 11:29 AM

Must be some electric in La Paz.

Live Webcam from LA Paz!

http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/bajalover/2/show.html
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 11:38 AM
post removed

my thoughts as well- it was very strange.

I decided to delete the original.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob53
Quote:
Originally posted by Whale-ista
While searching for updates, I found this:

Spellcheck, conquered.

Hurricane Hunters
Resume regular broadcast.

wtf

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 11:40 AM

i just got a cell call from my neice in La Paz...excellent! Having cell service will help alot. She was on a boat in the marina and says everyone is helping everyone clean up the mess.

[Edited on 9-17-2014 by shari]

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Jaybo
Nomad

Mood: Praying for Baja!

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 11:44 AM

yeah I just saw on another FB group that Cabo has cell service again as well.
BCSTech
Senior Nomad

Mood: Carpe Manana

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 11:47 AM

I just posted this on the Todos Santos thread:

I just heard from Ernesto, one of my Technician Friends in TS. He was able to get out on the Internet over TelCel a few minutes ago, about 12:30 PM their time. Internet comes and goes.

He reports it's a total freaking disaster there. No power, no water, little food, and the banks are obviously out of commissions so no money. No soldiers there yet as they're focusing on La Paz and CSL

I'll post a few pix he sent but it's nothing we haven't already seen, destruction everywhere.

I'm going to try and relay some messages through him but he has his hands full right now taking care of his family.

Alan Thompson

El Dorado Networks

News For The Left Coast of Baja:
The Baja Western Onion
Ford
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 11:53 AM

Report from our property manager in cabo...

Good morning. It is Tuesday Sept 16, 6:25 AM.

I want to give you all the perspective of actual situation. In the last 72 hours I have slept probably 5 hours and had no rest.

There is no electricity in all town. I cant see an electrical post standing up. Next to my house there is a high tension tower on the ground. To have power back might take two weeks at least in certain areas.

There is no phone landlines and no internet.

There is no water supply as the aqueduct is broken in pieces. To have water back might take weeks.

No banks, no supermarkets, no bussiness. Means no food so if you are coming to Cabo to asses damage be prepare and bring your own food.

There is no fuel. Personally we need to use the vehicles wisely otherwise we will need to start moving by walking.

All properties has damage, some of them are severe and others not. I tried to get to must of them yesterday but roads are damaged in some points washed out. From San Jose Downtown to PLC took me 40 minutes in a high truck. I will be sending pictures and reports to each one of you as soon as possible. Cellular connexion is down right now.

In my opinion it is important you come down to asses the damage and to help. We are exhausted down here; locally we are dealing with several problems: our homes flooded on the best case but in other cases, specially our cleaning and maintenance staff they lost everything. My office and my wife store has severe damage; her office was washed out. Every document in my office is wet or hummed, some computers are floating.

From my staff I don't know too much: Daniela was with me yesterday and we made it to PLC properties in the afternoon. I went to some properties in the morning hours in Cabo area and the corridor, specially those were there were staff or guests. Karla, reported and she went to Pedregal and Cabo area; at Hacienda Resort there is no access to property managers until they have set insurance claims (nonses). In PLC I was with Alfonso who reported he took care of the house he takes care and he inspected all others in the area with Daniela and me. I couldn't make it to El Encanto because it was too late but I received a text from Gabby; she, Suzett and Rafa Ramirez will try to get there today.

The people that works and depend on me are about 70 among office staff, property managers, house keepers and cleaning staff. There is a group of contractors, probably a number of 14 contractors which work for me exclusively. I think that totals about 40 families in deep need of help. They are our operation force and they will need our support.

HOW YOU CAN HELP:

We need:

1. Drinking water.
2. Batteries AA, AAA, C and D.
3. We need flashlights.
4. Power generators, various. I personally will appreciate and pay for two large ones to make my office and my house operate.
5. Cash, preferable in pesos for the staff. Yesterday was pay day; we ask the banks on Friday for their payroll but no ATMS and NO BANKS.
6. Need your permission, voluntary, to let me use your vehicles as there are no FUEL. Must of the PEMEX stations disappear.
7. Clothes for the staff.
8. Sheets, towels, bedspreads for the staff.
9. Canned food.
10. First aid kits.
11. Antibacterial gel.

As soon as my office staff is back, I hope today or tomorrow, I will have Alejandra and Laura working in insurance follow up only. I hope my server works so we can access and get the policies. This will delay our billing monthly process; I need to ask you that you help me by wiring money so our cash flow doesn't stop; No need to do this now as there are no banks, but in a couple of weeks I am sure it will be needed; this money will be the monthly funds you wire to be use for your property expenses only and it will be reflected in your statements.

Rentals and or vacation trips must be postpone; I figure that for the next month or two town will be a mess with a lot of services broken. Houses with severe damage will take longer than 3 months to be back in operation. Carpenters, aluminum contractors, glass contractors, windows and doors contractors, painters, electricians, etc will be saturated of work.

As the day flows and I get signal and time I will be sending pictures of the properties I already visited.

LAST UPDATE FROM EL ENCANTO. SEPT 16; 4:00 pm.

Gabby and Rafa (pool guy) as well as Jorge (maintenance) made it to EL ENCANTO. She mentioned that hard damage is a common denominator among all properties. She gave me a list which I will type later for EL ENCANTO owners.

WEDNESDAY SEPT 17. 4:30 AM.

All major food wholesaler has been washed out by the people. It is hard to live a time when people has lost humanity. The rippers are not poor people. This is scary, they are not taking food only. This is so sad.

I hope our office and houses staff starts to regather today.

I hope that at least cellular network reestablish today.

Last night I was told by one of the radio reporters that the airport is seriously damaged; the control tower disappear and both terminals have several damages.

We have guests in Pedregal, one couple, that needs to be evacuated as well as a property owner in El Encanto # 24.

Cordially.

Francisco J. Luna.
Francisco Luna Property Management.
WWW.LUNAPM.COM
Enviado desde mi iPhone
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 11:54 AM

:wow:

Thanks for that report!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajabird
Nomad

Mood: Always happy

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 12:01 PM

Phone service is starting to work in Loreto.
Got through to a phone line near the entrance of town.
Beach area phones are not working.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 12:04 PM
Southwest Airlines to begin emergency rescue flights to Cabo

From their website: http://www.southwest.com/html/advisories/swa_travel_advisory...

(I replied to their Twitter account and suggested, if they are flying planes south empty, to bring emergency relief supplies for people since the roads are washed out, and getting food, water etc. will be difficult for a long time.)

Southwest Airlines and AirTran Airways have scheduled rescue flights to Cabo San Lucas/Los Cabos (SJD) for today, September 17. The first Southwest Airlines / AirTran Airways flight should arrive in Cabo San Lucas/Los Cabos (SJD) by mid-afternoon to accommodate Customers from both airlines. Southwest Airlines and AirTran Airways personnel will be available for Customer flight processing upon arrival of the aircraft. Each Customer should remember to bring your passport and other identification documents, travel itineraries, and baggage with you to the airport. The rescue flights will return to Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) where Southwest Airlines / AirTran Airways personnel can help each Customer with the details of continuing on to their final destination.

We will continue to work closely with the appropriate authorities to evaluate the need for additional rescue flights.

Customers holding a reservation for travel to/from Cabo San Lucas/Los Cabos (SJD) beginning Sunday, September 14 thru Tuesday, September 30 are eligible to reschedule their flights in accordance with our accommodation procedures.

Please call 1-800-435-9792 to speak with a Customer Service Representative to make changes to your itinerary.

For specific flight information, please check Flight Status Information.

Customers holding reservations for a flight that is cancelled may request a refund for an unused ticket/travel itinerary.

Updated: 9/17 12:30PM CST

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ford
No word at all from zacatitos or playa tortuga just south of San Jose. For those of you that know Lou Quaccia, you know how diligent he is about keeping all of us informed of weather conditions. I have not heard a word from him since 8:30AM Sunday morning. He said he would report at 2:00pm if possible. I am really nervous about them, our caregivers (who live next door) and all the people in baja. We are so accustomed to instant info, days of no info is horrible!

I live about four miles past Lou's place on the east cape. Although we are not there now I have heard from my neighbor who says that our place is OK and that all the houses in our little neighborhood (Terranova) survived with some palapa damage and rain intrusion through sliders etc.

Osmar's internet service is down and as you know there is no cell service out past Lou's on a good day. Satellite internet is the only way to get info out.

My assessment from a distance is that the near east cape did not get hit as hard as San Jose and Cabo. We have a tough, scrappy neighborhood of locals and ex-pats out there that I'm sure will figure it all out and do just fine. Lou is probably out on his quad right now assessing damage and providing assistance. At least that is my happy faced hope right now.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
Pebbles

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 12:46 PM

Just had a long call with Rick my plumber in Loreto. My wife is doing fine. Electricity is starting to come back. In his opinion this hurricane not as bad as 2008 in that it did knock down as many electrical towers between Constitucion and Loreto. Information is very limited and he was more interested about Polo forecast. Rumor there is Polo will be bigger than Odile.

Life is Good
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-17-2014 at 12:53 PM

Just talked to my "go to" electrician/plumber/construction guy in La Paz. He said that there is no electrical (hence, no communications), no banking, big stores are closed, no atm usage, no city service water being pushed to homes. Obviously, cell phones are working as I was talking to him 15 minutes ago with Skype on my side, cell phone at his end.

FWIW, he said that my cinder block home between Centenario and Walmart probably might not get too much physical damage (not first hand info, just his best guess) referring to the 900 liter tinaco on the roof as it is enclosed on 3 sides with concrete walls and the three a/c units bolted on the roof that supply the 3 air handlers of the mini-split system and the above ground rotoplas 1100 liter tank that are in a corner with two sides of the house around it. Also, it is his guess that my Tacoma and and 15 ft fiber glass runabout both under the concrete carport and enclosed by two cinder block walls of the house should be OK, but the Gregor 13ft aluminum boat on the side of the house could be another story. Keep in mind that this is second hand info as obtained by my substandard Spanish.

I will see if I can talk to my attorney down there and get more info to post here.
Dammit...we need INFO and they need our help.

Currently, I bumped a flight on Volaris from Tijuana to La Paz originally scheduled for tomorrow and rescheduled it for Sept 30th (wasn't easy with Volaris...that's another bag of worms for another time).

After thinking about going there so soon after the hurricane and reading some wisdom from more experienced people, generally it would not be a wise move to go to La Paz when there is no electricity, no running water, closed stores, therefore potential shortages of: perishable food, repair supplies and materials and available skilled repair labor, gasoline, and potable drinking water. Banks closed and no power for ATM's and credit card readers. Don't know the situation with flooding everywhere or at the very least water everywhere with the perfect weather to breed mosquitos. Seems like going there tomorrow would have meant that becoming part of the problem...not a safe prospect.

Not to mention the prospect of another hurricane ...Polo which would have enough time to get to La Paz by this coming Saturday should La Paz be in its path. According to what I have read so far, 'Tropical Storm Polo' may be on a similar path toward BCS as was Odile.

[Edited on 9-17-2014 by MitchMan]
 Pages:  1  ..  27    29    31  ..  37

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.