Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  33    35    37
Author: Subject: HURRICANE WARNING FOR BAJA - ODILE - AFTERMATH
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 11:44 AM

Thanks for the update on Blanca. I received a message from someone close to her who was worried. I will let them know.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Uh? Hotels dont seem to be very important right now...Most nomads are not tourists....We are concerned about friends and homes....

Only a small percentage of the viewers of this site are not tourists. There is a larger proportion of people that regularly post here however, who have more established ties to the various locales/communities along the peninsula.

Over 3,700 daily visitors to the site on average over the past 5 days (from 11,880 unique visitors) - with over 4,000 visitors on Tue and again on Wed. During those 5 days there have been over 345k pageviews. Over 87k pageviews on Tuesday alone.

fyi

[Edited on 9-20-2014 by BajaNomad]

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
Thanks for the update on Blanca. I received a message from someone close to her who was worried. I will let them know.

She just posted again in the past hour (or two?).

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 12:32 PM

Our internet is still out but a friend was kind enough to loan us her 3g dongle to check in. Things are getting better by the day here in Pescadero and Todos Santos. There is purified water, fuel, and food available, and the cell phones are working. We fared better than 99% of the folks around here, lost 2 solar panels and 1 small bathroom window, the solar system is still working flawlessly. We have 500 kilos of propane in the tank and a 14000 liters of water in the pila so we are good for quite awhile. This is one time when it's really good to be off the grid. During the storm we saw gusts to 150 mph on our weather station and the barometric pressure went as low as 28.14. My boat and trailer was picked up and blown about 50 feet away from where I had parked it. The people in this area are mostly helping each other dig out and put their lives back together, and I have not heard of any major looting locally, aside from a few beer stores the night of the storm. Quite a few locals have lost their roofs so if anyone has building materials laying around that they don't need, please give them to someone who can use them. The electrical grid is a real mess but the Mexican government seems to be making a strong effort to get it back together, there are CFE trucks and helicopters everywhere, along with lots of military. I am really surprised and pleased that there was not a massive loss of life due to this storm, it seems like most people took all the warnings seriously and hunkered down pretty good.

"The future ain't what it used to be"
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 12:52 PM

https://news.vice.com/article/hunger-looting-and-violence-fo...
Cisco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Uh? Hotels dont seem to be very important right now...Most nomads are not tourists....We are concerned about friends and homes....

Only a small percentage of the viewers of this site are not tourists. There is a larger proportion of people that regularly post here however, who have more established ties to the various locales/communities along the peninsula.

Over 3,700 daily visitors to the site on average over the past 5 days (from 11,880 unique visitors) - with over 4,000 visitors on Tue and again on Wed. During those 5 days there have been over 345k pageviews. Over 87k pageviews on Tuesday alone.

fyi

[Edited on 9-20-2014 by BajaNomad]

Does this mean we need more pages?
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 01:04 PM

People have left SJD and Cabo in droves. More than 50,000 are reported to have moved to La Paz temporarily and thousands are lined up to go back to mainland. Many postings for construction workers required, clean-up crews, drivers and staff. Business taxes are deferred until december, phones have been credited with minutes. Community efforts underway to remove the trees and branches!
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 01:11 PM

Many photos here:

http://surfskibaja.blogspot.mx

Jonno_aus
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 01:14 PM

Um....you guys are the ones spewing the misinformation that La Paz is a 'war zone', and no looting and gun shots and it was more then a cat 1 or 2 hurricane.

Cabo was hit with a cat 3. Not La Paz. Winds will halve at 100 km from the highest winds outside the eye.The eye passed to the west of La Paz and was downgraded to a 2 by then. So MAYBE
La Paz was hit with a 2. I heard someone else mentioned to me personally on the winds they recored and it equated to a cat 1. Maybe the gusts might indicated a 2. Maybe.

US hurricane wind strengths are recored differently then most other parts of the world. The US measure the average over 1 min. In Australia the average is reorded over 10 mins.

I guess it makes the emails back home better right if you say a 3?

It's not a war zone. Usual trees down with high winds. Cabo is a 'war zone'. La Paz is not. I've seen as many trees down in regular thunderstorms back home.

As for the poor, and the 'poor', yes it's hard. But many choose to spend on 'nesessaties' rather then nesessaties. Mexican friend I have here admit it. I've seen plenty of 'poor' ppl buying coke and not water. I've spoken to a guy living under a tree who is saving his money for an iPhone 5. Priorities right?

Plenty WITH money, plenty, who won't bother preparing correctly with the result being many are out of water and food and sustain damage when their own things broke windoes. Plenty of the 'rich' in the same position who never prepared and ran out of water.

So weebray, you were with my friends and myself when we saw looting right in front of us at a store that had been damaged?
You were with us when we heard gunshots and multiple police cars racing down the street? So you would know I guess. You were there.

I think some of you guys think this was a huge distaster here in La Paz. Cabo yes. Here no. We got it easy. Looks worse due to poor construction, poor preparation, poor planning in no evacuation and poor warnings from officials who should take a lot of blame when it was obvious a few days prior a hurricane was approaching cabo and even if it had've gone up the coast, would've resulted in strong winds and rain in La Paz and possible damage.

Heck, even some I knew not doing too bad for themselves didnt prepare, ran out of water and didnt even realise you could boil it and drink the city water. Dear oh dear.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 01:33 PM

Hurricanes are very hit and miss, one tree or truck goes flying while the next is fine. My experience is that they sometimes move like fingers or pockets of pressure, wind and rain. Official reports state winds in La Paz up to 150-190km. Depends on your location. Definitely tabla-roca construction is not great in hurricane nor metal or palapa roofs, you see the tile roofs too seemed to suffer damage while cement survives in general. Considering the loss of planes, cars, boats, homes and people there is evidence of the worst hurricane wind of all time for BCS.

Time to rebuild! Clean-up. Start fresh! Great time to lend a hand, share your skills in design, planning, muscle, tools, money, and all resources! throw a path to feed friends who help clean up the street. Please do not rebuild in arroyos or areas where high chance of loss occurs in heavy rain and wind.

If things are really bad for anyone its a great to move away and start over somewhere else.

[Edited on 9-20-2014 by gnukid]
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
HURRICANE ODILE INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 21A
500 AM PDT MON SEP 15 2014

LOCATION...24.2N 110.8W
ABOUT 40 MI...60 KM W OF LA PAZ MEXICO

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 110 MPH...175 KM/H...WITH HIGHER GUSTS.

ODILE IS A LARGE HURRICANE. HURRICANE-FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 50 MILES...85 KM...FROM THE CENTER.

Jonno_aus
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 02:03 PM

Yep. 60 km from La Paz. Winds maybe 175 km/h. Distance means possible 30 kt (55 kmh) difference. Call it 45. Now maybe 130 kmh max sustained over 1 min. Everywhere else its a 10 min average. Take 10 %.

Now 117 kmh average. Usually often a estimate.

In Australia that's a average wind speed on the scale as a violent storm. Higher gusts could indicate a cat 2 cyclone.

As the met Bereau say here - Extent of Significant Winds
The extent of damaging winds will vary between cyclones. More importantly, the most severe winds will be confined to a small area around the outside of the eye.Often people will experience the winds in the outer part of a Category 4 or 5 cyclone. They will believe that they have experienced a major cyclone, yet the winds may have only been Cat 1 or 2 strength.

Cabo got hit with a solid 3 and had left it devastated. Those guys are in need. Many dont have food, water and power. I've already helped with relief because we aren't in need here in La Paz. Life is good. Next few days I'll be donating some food and water.

Rather then worrying how many buildings were destroyed, maybe we can all concentrate on helping the needy. There are many and they need help.
pauldavidmena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by monoloco
Our internet is still out but a friend was kind enough to loan us her 3g dongle to check in. Things are getting better by the day here in Pescadero and Todos Santos. There is purified water, fuel, and food available, and the cell phones are working. We fared better than 99% of the folks around here, lost 2 solar panels and 1 small bathroom window, the solar system is still working flawlessly. We have 500 kilos of propane in the tank and a 14000 liters of water in the pila so we are good for quite awhile. This is one time when it's really good to be off the grid. During the storm we saw gusts to 150 mph on our weather station and the barometric pressure went as low as 28.14. My boat and trailer was picked up and blown about 50 feet away from where I had parked it. The people in this area are mostly helping each other dig out and put their lives back together, and I have not heard of any major looting locally, aside from a few beer stores the night of the storm. Quite a few locals have lost their roofs so if anyone has building materials laying around that they don't need, please give them to someone who can use them. The electrical grid is a real mess but the Mexican government seems to be making a strong effort to get it back together, there are CFE trucks and helicopters everywhere, along with lots of military. I am really surprised and pleased that there was not a massive loss of life due to this storm, it seems like most people took all the warnings seriously and hunkered down pretty good.

Glad to hear you're okay and that you didn't sustain too much damage - also that living off the grid seems to have paid off so well. Mary and I will be up in Las Tunas in March and will definitely look you up if you're planning to be around.

Visit my Dreams of Pescadero blog:
http://dreamsofpescadero.wordpress.com/
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 02:45 PM

Interesting, there is much discussion now in La Paz about the varied psychological responses people have to disaster, from the looting by 3 male school teachers, mothers and children, to self-defense groups setup and blocking streets, as well as understatement of facts. All responses can be expected in disaster, how do we adjust to our emotions. Many are suffering now, and will continue to suffer PTSD. Participating in community action to return to normalcy may be the best therapy.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 02:51 PM

Imagine how beautiful it would be if all utility services were moved underground!
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 03:00 PM

Odile did her best to accomplish that....

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jonno_aus
Yep. 60 km from La Paz. Winds maybe 175 km/h. Distance means possible 30 kt (55 kmh) difference. Call it 45.

FYI - your statements are in direct conflict with information from those considered to be experts on the topic.

Thank you very much for your concerns and support for La Paz and BCS.

;)

Heather
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2014 at 04:58 PM

Que milagro! Finally able to speak to my niece from Cabo. She is in La Paz trying to take the ferry and drive to D.F. where her husband has family.
Que milagro is what she said about our camper that is in the 4 De Marzo colonia in CSL. I guess very minimal damage to it and our property there. My stepson and his family have been living there and all are OK. My brother-in-laws place next door also made it through and all are doing as good as could be expected.
She also commented on how sad everything is in San Lucas. She is trying to get some medicine to bring back for her other nana.
Glad we put that extra large pila/tinaco in the ground a few years ago....still water at the trailer.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2014 at 06:20 AM
Odile Over Los Cabos

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2014 at 01:21 PM

Hello
I dont have time, internet, power to read this whole thread
BUT if there is anything you can do to help please send donations to whoever is asking
this is really bad
people are hungry
the govt came by twice with boxes but they are surely gone now
we are doing ok but my neighbors need your help
please do what you can.

thanks

this is an email I sent last week

we did survive and better than most. none of our neighbors have roofs. our little bunker withstood all odile blew at it
we lost all the palapa roofs, the two tool sheds, all the trees except for the cocos and the short washintonians, the jeep, the fence
what we did not lose which is a major miracle is our books...how I have no idea but they made it.
'the mexican govt is doing a terrific job. they have been out here with food boxes twice, and water.
our neighbors are wonderful and we now have a VERY special bond with them. we never once worried about looting...not in la choya
we have not driven to town since monday because the GMC died and the ford wont fit under the fallen wires. just got it fixed
this is a great story..... tues we grabbed our gas cans and started walking into town a police pickup truck stopped and motioned for us to get in the crew cab. we threw the cans in the back and jumped in. jim was first. all of a sudden he said....ouch.....he was sitting on one of their guns!
stood in line for 2 1/2 hours, must have been over 100 but got some gas
we are charging everyone's cell phones when we run the generator. one neighbor brought us a couple of gallons of gas to help.

i doubt any of this makes any sense but wanted to let you know we were doing ok
guess we will just start over...had too much chit anyway
love from the flatten earth
judy,jim, eta, pops, azul and ora...the last two are our parakeets.

Pages:  1  ..  33    35    37

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.