Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  21    23    25  ..  37
Author: Subject: HURRICANE WARNING FOR BAJA - ODILE - AFTERMATH
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 09:38 PM

Convection appears to be increasing as the center gets back on the SOC near Mulege.
Our hearts are with BCS
m923a1

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 09:41 PM

I know this is all still unfolding, and there are people still in harms way, so this may not really be the best time or place to post this, but...

My brother and I and our wives were planning on driving to Mulege this February for two weeks. Now it looks like there might be a huge cleanup going on that will probably last for months and years to come. Rather than cancel our trip, does anyone have suggestions for a humanitarian group or effort that we might be able to get involved with? (even if just to bring donated items or consumable goods). We were planning on driving two mostly empty Suburbans. Definitely don't want to show up as vacationers and use resources while there are people just trying to rebuild their lives, but then again, maybe that's the best way to help out.

My extended family (who are mostly dentists and dental hygienists) have been traveling to mainland Mexico for years doing charitable work, but unfortunately I don't have a skill that is suited really (who wants an IT guy to show up after a hurricane).

This all might be a moot point if highways and roads are washed out for the foreseeable future.

If nothing else, we're praying for the safety of everyone down there and hope the reports of very little or no loss of life hold out.
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 09:52 PM

The orphanage in LaPaz or other places? Anyone have contact info? They will need everything. Schools?

By the time you head down, I suspect the infrastructure will be mostly back together. Oddly enough, one of Baja's needs which we can and do help with, is for us to spend money. The tourist industry has taken terrible hits in recent years. Thus your coming down is more likely to help than hinder.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by m923a1
I know this is all still unfolding, and there are people still in harms way, so this may not really be the best time or place to post this, but...

My brother and I and our wives were planning on driving to Mulege this February for two weeks. Now it looks like there might be a huge cleanup going on that will probably last for months and years to come. Rather than cancel our trip, does anyone have suggestions for a humanitarian group or effort that we might be able to get involved with? (even if just to bring donated items or consumable goods). We were planning on driving two mostly empty Suburbans. Definitely don't want to show up as vacationers and use resources while there are people just trying to rebuild their lives, but then again, maybe that's the best way to help out.

My extended family (who are mostly dentists and dental hygienists) have been traveling to mainland Mexico for years doing charitable work, but unfortunately I don't have a skill that is suited really (who wants an IT guy to show up after a hurricane).

This all might be a moot point if highways and roads are washed out for the foreseeable future.

If nothing else, we're praying for the safety of everyone down there and hope the reports of very little or no loss of life hold out.

Stay tuned here for the next few days/weeks, there will be several posts of donation/help org's to contact. By February, most will be cleaned up with lots of newly landscaped real estate for sale CHEAP. The help org's will be forthcoming shortly. Thank you for your consideration, it will be needed.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 09:53 PM

Hola Nomads,

as this seems to be the main site regarding odile, i am inquiring if anybody knows how the towns of miraflores and santiago fared in this disaster.

i have friends and family in these towns and i don't see any reports on them.

i have sent emails but apparently, there are problems for these communication avenues.

if you have info, please be so kind as to post them.

i thank you very much in advance.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 10:29 PM

If Santiago got a flash flood then Boca de la Sierra probably is a washout. The dam there was level full of silt 25 years ago.
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 10:36 PM

This Facebook page has many photos of Cabo San Lucas

https://www.facebook.com/campos.josue/media_set?set=a.875810...

[Edited on 9-16-2014 by BajaNomad]

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 10:50 PM

m923a1- roads will be out for a while, but transportation will be restored within a few days via dirt/gravel bypasses so trucks & busses can get thru as well as passenger vehicles. Even if its a bridge out, there will be a bypass.
By February the cleanup will be on an as-funds-are-available basis for locals, and as-time-to-mess-w/it basis for us part-timers. I'm guessing there will be multiple threads on relief.
Mulege isn't likely to lose too many homes outright. But other areas probably have based on reports so far. Tarps & sheet plastic will be needed right away where roofs blew off, but probably not past the first 60-90 days as repairs will be made to make buildings wind/rain resistant.

Gulliver's comment is pretty spot on- tourist money is some of the best help you can bring. In kind donations will be posted for sure as well once needs are known. Food will be a problem for the most indigent, as everything in their fridges will be ruined while power is out and there is little work this time of year to restock the larder. After I've talked to the abarotero, Saul, in Mulege once his phone is up, I'll let folks know if that's a need in Mulege.
Thanks for thinking about Baja!

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 10:50 PM

Anybody know how Chametla, Comitan, and Centenario are doing? Not much info anywhere on La Paz, certainly not many specifics and even fewer photo images. It would be great to hear from people in La Paz and those three towns mentioned hereinabove. You know, something like: is the road clear enough to travel from Centenario to the Malecon, do Centenario, Chametla and La Paz have any electricity and/or phone service, has there been a run on drinking water, maintenance supplies and meat at the stores or is there plenty for everyone? Any reports of injuries? Details on damage? You know that La Paz has 240,000 residents...I was hoping for more info somewhere...anywhere.

How about Los Planes and Agua Amarga? Not much info on Loreto either. Anybody heard anything?

The news in the States is even worse. You would think that the only city in the entire Baja was limited to the existence of the sole city of Cabo San Lucas.

Jonathan Roldan of Tailhunter gave a darn good interview earlier today, but that report stands completely alone. Thank heaven for Roldan and his clear, coherent, precise and comprehensive communication abilities.

[Edited on 9-16-2014 by MitchMan]
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 11:14 PM

..ohh Mulege stay safe!!
......I really hope that everyone's giving an extra wide berth to the low laying areas--much more than would be necessary in the past.

.....until it's know what's been done uphill in terms of diversions etc....

....here's hoping and praying all be well!:yes:
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 11:26 PM

There has been zero to nothing coming out of Mulege for a while now. On our facebook page I received a few messages from folks sharing some text messages they had received and I just found a few posts on twitter, basically all saying the same thing:

Mulege is flooding, water level continuing to rise with a lot of homes damaged or destroyed. People asking for help.

It paints a very dismal picture we still need to wait for further confirmation. At this point I ask that we keep all these people in our prayers...

Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 11:31 PM

Could you please share these messages with us? I own a house in the Oasis and am looking for information.

Need to know whether to bring a whisk broom or a front loader.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
There has been zero to nothing coming out of Mulege for a while now. On our facebook page I received a few messages from folks sharing some text messages they had received and I just found a few posts on twitter, basically all saying the same thing:

Mulege is flooding, water level continuing to rise with a lot of homes damaged or destroyed. People asking for help.

It paints a very dismal picture we still need to wait for further confirmation. At this point I ask that we keep all these people in our prayers...

....I -really- hope they haven't made actual 'hold-backs' back there :no:
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 11:55 PM

Oh I did the Mulege dance. Had Cliff and his crew gut the house including the appliances and store everything up top. Board up the front windows. The house has been through four floods already including seven feet high last time. It's sort of a wash and wear thing. Might bring my own pressure washer. it goes with living along the water.

Still I don't want to bug Leon until later in the week so any info would be appreciated.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 9-15-2014 at 11:58 PM

A few of the messages were sent to me via PM on facebook, relaying text messages they had received from from friends/family in Mulege. Without their permission I am unable to share anything more than what I posted.

Here are a couple of the posts on twitter I found, basically supporting the content of the messages I received in facebook...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152710301477320&am...

If you can't get the direct link to work, just copy and paste the url into your browser...

[Edited on 9-16-2014 by BajaGringo]
Gulliver
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 01:16 AM

Thanks for the link. I'm sure their distress is very real.

I was hoping for more specific information but that will trickle out with time.
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 05:47 AM

.....wow....the silence.....is.....deafening.

.....I can't say I've slept well.......don't imagine I'm the only one!

......may all be well!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 05:49 AM

6:50am 9-16
on the bay in mulege

horrible wind and rain ALL night
no let up at all

still dark so too early to see any damage

we have never seen so much water

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
6:50am 9-16
on the bay in mulege

horrible wind and rain ALL night
no let up at all

still dark so too early to see any damage

we have never seen so much water

....well,,,I'm glad you've got power!!
...good to hear from y'all!

.....I'll bet you've got a story to tell:wow::o
...be sure to do what's most important though!!

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 06:01 AM

we will later...as soon as its dark we go inside
solar power and inverters...probably the only time i'll say I like them

the storm shudders are on the windows and the doors bolted shut

we are an island again as water is all around us ( we built up)

this is a lot more water than the last hurricane

i'm sure there will be lots of damage in town...it's a pretty bad storm

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
 Pages:  1  ..  21    23    25  ..  37

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.