Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  22    24    26  ..  37
Author: Subject: HURRICANE WARNING FOR BAJA - ODILE - AFTERMATH
Dianamo
Nomad

Mood: ...still in Baja

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 06:11 AM

The Weather Channel just stated that Los Cabos International Airport is closed until at least Oct 10! Has anyone else heard this or know anything more?

Minds are like parachutes...they only function when open!

\"The price of apathy is to be ruled by evil men.\" - Plato
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dianamo
The Weather Channel just stated that Los Cabos International Airport is closed until at least Oct 10! Has anyone else heard this or know anything more?

...not a surprise if you've seen the pictures!

...I'm glad to hear that the military already has relief ships imminently arriving
chivatojoe
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 06:31 AM

Thanks Bob . So glad you both made it thru the night. Hopefully the worst is over for now and Polo stays west. You may be the only eyes and ears in the area so whatever you can report is greatly appreciated.
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 06:41 AM

TROPICAL STORM ODILE INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 25A
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL EP152014
500 AM PDT TUE SEP 16 2014

...ODILE PRODUCING HEAVY RAINS ACROSS CENTRAL PORTIONS OF THE BAJA
CALIFORNIA PENINSULA AND NORTHWESTERN MEXICO...

SUMMARY OF 500 AM PDT...1200 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...28.1N 113.0W
ABOUT 70 MI...115 KM NW OF SANTA ROSALIA MEXICO
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...60 MPH...95 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNW OR 345 DEGREES AT 10 MPH...17 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...994 MB...29.35 INCHES

DISCUSSION AND 48-HOUR OUTLOOK
------------------------------
AT 500 AM PDT...1200 UTC...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM ODILE WAS
LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 28.1 NORTH...LONGITUDE 113.0 WEST. ODILE IS
MOVING TOWARD THE NORTH-NORTHWEST NEAR 10 MPH...17 KM/H...AND THIS
GENERAL MOTION WITH A DECREASE IN FORWARD SPEED IS EXPECTED THROUGH
THIS MORNING. A TURN TOWARD THE NORTH AND NORTH-NORTHEAST WITH
AN ADDITIONAL DECREASE IN FORWARD SPEED IS EXPECTED LATE TODAY AND
TONIGHT. ON THE FORECAST TRACK...THE CENTER OF ODILE WILL CONTINUE
TO MOVE OVER OR NEAR THE EAST COAST OF THE BAJA CALIFORNIA
PENINSULA THROUGH TODAY...AND MOVE OVER THE NORTHERN GULF OF
CALIFORNIA TONIGHT AND INTO NORTHERN MAINLAND MEXICO ON WEDNESDAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS HAVE DECREASED TO NEAR 60 MPH...95 KM/H...
WITH HIGHER GUSTS. ADDITIONAL WEAKENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT
48 HOURS...AND ODILE IS LIKELY TO BECOME A TROPICAL DEPRESSION BY
EARLY WEDNESDAY.

TROPICAL-STORM-FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 150 MILES...240 KM
FROM THE CENTER.

THE ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 994 MB...29.35 INCHES.

NEXT ADVISORY
-------------
NEXT COMPLETE ADVISORY...800 AM PDT.

odile-tue-640a.jpg - 49kB

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 06:46 AM

Word from Mulege via Zwat, unconfirmed, is that its BAD....Severe flooding, worst ever...Sad sad.....

azucena
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 06:50 AM

As far as Los Cabos airport, this morning the Weather Channel said it would be closed for a week.
vjfamily
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 07:00 AM

Los Cabos airport information from the Southwest webiste.

http://www.southwest.com/html/advisories/swa_travel_advisory...

Customers traveling to/from Cabo San Lucas/Los Cabos, MX (SJD) beginning Sunday, September 14 thru Monday, September 22 are eligible for flexible accommodations.

We have learned that the airport facilities in Cabo San Lucas/Los Cabos, MX (SJD) are closed through Monday, September 22 to evaluate infrastructure damage from Hurricane Odile. We will update our information as it becomes available.

Please call 1-800-435-9792 to speak with a Customer Service Representative to make changes to your itinerary.

For specific flight information, please check Flight Status Information.

Customers holding reservations for a flight that is cancelled may request a refund for an unused ticket/travel itinerary.

Updated: 9/15 5:25PM CT
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 07:03 AM

Really appreciate ANY reports so a huge thank you Bob and Ron. So much devastation, it is hard to process it all. I womder what the best way to get info will be. Sure wish more people had ssb radios like the old days. So please post any info you have.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
wakemall
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 07:09 AM

I look forward to additional detail and information on Loreto. It will probably take some time to restore the power and methods of communication.
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 07:39 AM

I'm betting a dollar Cabo airport is open way sooner than that. 2 weeks tops, probably sooner. Won't be business as usual but they'll get open, life in lowest Baja depends on arrivals & departures. Ditto w/La Paz airport.
I don't know where Baja Bush Pilots will stage from, but runways will be cleared & repaired so they can work from towns out to the folks in the outback that will be stranded due to out of the way roads that are impassable. I'm sure they are reving up for recon right now, pending word that airstrips & gas are available.

Of the two twitt's referenced by BajaGringo, one is from the mainland, the other non-specific as to location. I'm not raising either Mexican or American cell phones in Mulege yet this a.m. so power is out & the cell tower's batteries drained. Not sure how long that situation will persist.

I absolutely cannot believe the dead silence from La Paz?????????? It looked like the storm track hit between Cabo & San Jose, trended N.E., & ran right over LP.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
ElCap
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 07:41 AM

This is a quick copy & paste from the Baja Western Onion:

Additional Damage Report For La Paz/Todos Santos (Courtesy, Televisa) - Translated: LA PAZ, Baja California Sur, Sep. 15 2014.- Baja California Sur was declared a disaster area after category III Hurricane "Odile". La Paz, the state capital, is one of the most affected. The damage can be seen in the streets and neighborhoods in the center and the periphery. "We need to restore the most urgent thing first, and that is the drinking water" "the priority is to restore services," Marcos Covarrubias, governor of Baja California Sur said.

The most affected colonies in La Paz are:
•Agua Escondida
•Olas Altas
•La Pitaya
•El Calandrio
•Marquez de León
Classes in schools at all levels were suspended in La Paz, Los Cabos and Comondú and national celebrations were cancelled. The La Paz airport remains closed as are the seaports. The General Hospital "Juan Maria de Salvatierra" suffered damage in 50% of their structure and the electric power generating plant failed. The Central Health Centers in Todos Santos and Pescadero were closed because of damage.

The state government said the fuel supply will be restricted and will be dispensed only to hospitals, shelters and aid support programs. "Gasoline is available exclusively for official vehicles right now. Until we have electricity, there obviously will not be any gas stations working," said Marcos Covarrubias, Governor of BCS. More than 200 members of the Mexican Army are aiding families affected through Plan DN-III. Also, 150 federal police officers arrived to assist with security duties. This Monday "Odile" moved north of the state. In Ciudad Constitution and Comondú, about 2 thousand [persons affected by the storm] were reported.

Jose Guadalupe Ramirez Nunez Comondú city official, said [the town sustained] winds of between 150 and 190 kms. per hour, with downed trees, poles, and electrical wiring in the town. The wind destroyed greenhouses, severely affecting agricultural producers. Seven temporary shelters were opened, serving at least 7,000 people. Authorities said "Odile" moved north of the state with other [weather] phenomenon progresses in the Mexican Pacific. So far there have been no reported fatalities.

Original article en Español: noticieros.televisa.com/mexico-estados/1409/baja-california-sur-zona-desastre-odile
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 07:57 AM

CFE will have moved forces into the area ahead of the storm, probably had them hanging around from Norbert. Whatever they mobilized won't be enough, and they'll be sending more as soon as infrastructure to move their trucks from the mainland is working. IIWThem, I'd commandeer a ferry just for trucks & poles.

This is going to be a huge hit for insurance companies, who will also send adjusters when travel conditions permit.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 08:00 AM

on the bay in mulege...
858am 9-16

rain has stopped
lots of puddles but it drains to the sea easily

wind around 40mph so it drying everything quickly

some sun peaking thru the clouds
sunny tomorrow for sure

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
carlosg
Senior Nomad

Mood: Just like in Baja: No Bad Days...

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 08:12 AM

Do you have any idea how are people in town doing? was there a lot of flooding in the river area? do you think you guys will be able to drive out of your place to the hwy? how is "los naranjos" doing? we have been planning a trip to Mulege for some time now and were planning to drive down this next Thursday early morning, we hoped to stay with the Naranjos however now we're not sure how things are doing down there... we wish you and everyone the very best and a prompt return to a "normal" life...
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 08:18 AM

contact naranjos before you arrive...this is sept
they are on facebook
they will be busy as they take care of any problems quickly
the dirt road to the beach usually gets some damage

we wont be taking guests till the water in town is on

first pic...we are an island
the water flows out quickly

the sun is out here on the bay in mulege

firstpic.jpg - 43kB

our website is:
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 08:25 AM

if you have "interests" in mulege you need to come asap...

please don't assume you can wait till oct or November to takecare of your problems...this is the WORST thing you could do

don't assume "others" are going to "fix" your problems without direction...
everyone is in the same boat

our website is:
Pebbles

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 08:30 AM

I want to drive to Loreto ASAP. I have driven Baja many times but obviously fear complete road closure and/or gas availability.

Plan to leave Phoenix Wed, overnight in Ensenada. I know you nomads will not be afraid to tell me I'm an idiot and I appreciate your candor and advice.

I have purchased an Alaska airlines ticket on Friday but only God knows if they will fly and need my car in Loreto.

Life is Good
micah202
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pebbles
I want to drive to Loreto ASAP. I have driven Baja many times but obviously fear complete road closure and/or gas availability.

Plan to leave Phoenix Wed, overnight in Ensenada. I know you nomads will not be afraid to tell me I'm an idiot and I appreciate your candor and advice.

I have purchased an Alaska airlines ticket on Friday but only God knows if they will fly and need my car in Loreto.

...it's pretty safe to say....the quicker you want down,,the longer it will take.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 08:38 AM

Thanks Bob, you will be the only one reporting info for Mulege for some time I think and we will be waiting for every word.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

rufflife
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 08:39 AM

Gas will probably be an issue... The following information was for La Paz, but I imagine it applies to much of BCS until things get sorted out.

"The state government said the fuel supply will be restricted and will be dispensed only to hospitals, shelters and aid support programs. "Gasoline is available exclusively for official vehicles right now. Until we have electricity, there obviously will not be any gas stations working,"
 Pages:  1  ..  22    24    26  ..  37

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.