Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  23    25    27  ..  37
Author: Subject: HURRICANE WARNING FOR BAJA - ODILE - AFTERMATH
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 08:47 AM

From notes posted on BBP/BPI:

no rescue flights planned yet, waiting on better intel and requests from Red Cross. Need runways and there are not any. Mulege may have been hit harder than any one prior. Reports are skimpy but general consensus is heavy flooding and damage, town asking for help on all fronts. Assume river peaked again. Not conformed, communication mostly out.
Good luck all - this was a big hit.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 09:01 AM

Pebbles- with all good things intended, you are an idiot. Make a thorough list, buy all the supplies you will need for your own behalf, heavy on mosquito repellent, yard fogger, contractor bags, etc. Then check in several times a day for the road & gasoline status as it develops, as your list will morph. I've been thru this multiple times. No sense in going off half c-cked & becoming part of the problem.
You have to know where you are going to stay, where you will get potable water, and that gas is available. Otherwise, prepare & stay tuned.

Or maybe just hole up in Ensenada till resources are assured, then take off. Ensenada's nice.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
From notes posted on BBP/BPI:

no rescue flights planned yet, waiting on better intel and requests from Red Cross. Need runways and there are not any. Mulege may have been hit harder than any one prior. Reports are skimpy but general consensus is heavy flooding and damage, town asking for help on all fronts. Assume river peaked again. Not conformed, communication mostly out.
Good luck all - this was a big hit.

Wow, this is very sad news! How much more can this area take!?!?!?!

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 09:18 AM

we just talked on the phone to family in Santa Roselia and they report les damage than other years. they said there was more wind and Les rain. power and phones in half the town.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Pebbles

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 09:33 AM

Gracias Engineer Mike. Very well put.
Problem is my wife is in Loreto and it has been almost 20 hours since I communicated with her.
Best advice may be to just wait until communication opens up before I do anything.

Life is Good
rufflife
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 09:43 AM

We feel your pain, Pebbles! Many of us are awaiting word from loved ones right now... Many areas are still without phone and internet. It is tough to wait!

However, sitting tight (until the emergency is over) is probably the best thing you can do.
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 09:51 AM

With a storm of this magnitude, most of the highway infrastructure will be severely damaged in several places going south; it will take days to get the by-passes and mess cleared up, so travel is out for the time being. For those able to head south soon, now is a good time to start collecting goods; clothing, bottled water, blankets, children's clothing, canned food... get it ready now. Maybe try in the next few days to solicit community support. Keep in mind there will be some hassles at the border on what you can bring through even though it's for humanitarian aid; fellow nomads, please chip in on this as to save wait-time and embarrassment at the borders.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 09:52 AM

any BONA-FIDE aid organizations, bush pilots, dr.s w/o borders, etc, please post also where those who wish to donate can. A brief background description/resume would be helpful.

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Trueheart
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 09:53 AM

Also, we had all better keep track of Polo, the new storm forming.

The projected path will unfold in next couple of days, and let's hope it isn't close in severity or path to Odile.
bajabird
Nomad

Mood: Always happy

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 09:56 AM

Any status on Loreto?
The airport?
I can not reach neighbors via phone or email
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pebbles
I want to drive to Loreto ASAP. I have driven Baja many times but obviously fear complete road closure and/or gas availability.

Plan to leave Phoenix Wed, overnight in Ensenada. I know you nomads will not be afraid to tell me I'm an idiot and I appreciate your candor and advice.

I have purchased an Alaska airlines ticket on Friday but only God knows if they will fly and need my car in Loreto.

Based on early reports of damage, I would not drive yet. Roads probably damaged. Fuel supply probably iffy. Don't drive until you get reports that road and fuel situation is restored.
Given that communications are so damaged that damage reports are not coming in yet, you should not start driving yet....
It's not even been 24 hours yet, give it a bit of time, in absence of working phones, the news will come slowly.
What do the mexican news outlets report??
BCSTech
Senior Nomad

Mood: Carpe Manana

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 10:13 AM

FWIW, Today's Issue of the Baja Western Onion: http://www.bajawesternonion.com/

Alan Thompson

El Dorado Networks

News For The Left Coast of Baja:
The Baja Western Onion
EngineerMike
Nomad

Mood: piso mojado

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 10:17 AM

If history serves as indicator, attitude at the border will be lax for a few to several weeks for stuff claimed as donations & repair items. The regular exemption is now $300, so that covers a lot of volume to start. Specifics about where you are heading w/what intention for goods will likely get you across w/out hassle. I DO NOT RECOMMEND just running the border & hoping for the best.

Stop at Declaracion & tell them what you have & where it will go. Get the officer's name if s/he lets you thru w/out paying & getting a receipt on an otherwise duty load. If you get pulled into secondary you can drop the name & state you were cleared by that officer as your goods are for hurricane relief. Helps also if you can substantiate your destination; I have business cards for the Mulege Scholarship Program, but a copy of a power bill or phone bill with your address in Cabo, La Paz, Loreto, etc. will prove sufficiently you are heading to BCS. FWIW, I do a spreadsheet w/all items, count, & their cost, plus the total dollar amount on board, and this makes declaration very speedy, friendly, and with a great result on average (maybe they think I'm nuts for declaring, who knows). Once we got waived thru w/out duty on a massive haul of Beenie-Babies & Hot Wheels cars, all new, which went to the Rotary/Bomberos Christmas party for rancho kids outside Mulege; I was flabbergasted, wife simply stated, "that officer is a mom."
If you don't declare, you risk losing your whole load &/spending a buncha time at the border & paying a steep fine.

Director, Mulege Student Scholarship Program
Oasis Rio Baja #M-3, & Auburn, CA
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 10:18 AM

“Totalmente canceladas” las comunicaciones en BCS por “Odile”: Luis Felipe Puente
El coordinador nacional de Protección Civil de la Secretaría de Gobernación, Luis Felipe Puente ha informado este martes que las comunicaciones en las zonas de Baja California Sur afectadas por el huracán “Odile” están “totalmente canceladas”. Explica que hasta este lunes fue posible mantener el servicio telefónico porque había un cable de fibra óptica pero se rompió y ahora se carece del servicio de sistema de radio celular y líneas directas.
“Fue un gran huracán, entró directamente a la zona de Los Cabos, pasó muy pegadito a la zona de La Paz, todavía no llegamos a Mulegé y Loreto”, detalló.
El Coordinador indica que esta mañana inició operaciones el puente aéreo de San José del Cabo para brindar apoyo en el desalojo de turistas con equipo de la Fuerza Aérea y Armada de México.
Agrega además que el Secretario de Gobernación lidera el grupo del Comité Nacional de Emergencia que coordinará la ayuda en Baja California Sur, y en el que participan los titulares de Conagua, Turismo y SCT; también se prevé que el presidente Enrique Peña Nieto visite esta tarde la zona afectada por el huracán “Odile”.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 10:24 AM

Mexican military starting airlift to get tourists out

http://mexico.cnn.com/nacional/2014/09/16/huracan-tormenta-t...
Dianamo
Nomad

Mood: ...still in Baja

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 10:32 AM

OMG, new video on the Weather Channel is unbelievable! I feel so helpless and heartbroken for everyone on my beloved Baja.

Minds are like parachutes...they only function when open!

\"The price of apathy is to be ruled by evil men.\" - Plato
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 10:45 AM

Saw news that something like only 3% of BCS has electric power. After seeing all the poles on the ground, I suspect it will be many weeks to restore power, months in some places. They will have to mobilize linemen crews and trucks from mainland Mexico to re string all the damaged transmission and distribution system.
Jaybo
Nomad

Mood: Praying for Baja!

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 10:46 AM

Not sure if this has been posted or not but 70 pictures of the damage:

https://www.facebook.com/georgina.bolanos/media_set?set=a.10...

Here is a Facebook group about the damage. You will have to join the group to post:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/727074667339978

So horrified at the devastation my thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected. :no:
Jaybo
Nomad

Mood: Praying for Baja!

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 10:52 AM

Being spanish challenged, goats post about communications:

" Totally Cancelled " BCS communications by " Odile " : Luis Felipe Puente
The National Coordinator of Civil Protection of the Ministry of Interior, Luis Felipe Puente reported Tuesday that communications in areas of Baja California Sur affected by hurricane " Odile " are " completely canceled ." He explains that until Monday was possible to keep the phone service because there was a fiber optic cable but now broke and no service cellular radio system and hotlines.
"It was a major hurricane , came directly to the Los Cabos area , spent very pegadito to the area of La Paz , not yet arrived at Mulege and Loreto " he explained.
Coordinator this morning indicates that the airlift began operations in San Jose del Cabo to support the evacuation of tourists with Team Mexico Navy and Air Force .
He adds that the Secretary of Interior leads the pack of the National Emergency Committee to help coordinate the Baja California Sur, and the holders Conagua , Tourism and SCT involved ; is also expected that President Enrique Peña Nieto visit this afternoon affected by hurricane " Odile " zone.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 9-16-2014 at 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaybo
Being spanish challenged, goats post about communications:

" Totally Cancelled " BCS communications by " Odile " : Luis Felipe Puente
The National Coordinator of Civil Protection of the Ministry of Interior, Luis Felipe Puente reported Tuesday that communications in areas of Baja California Sur affected by hurricane " Odile " are " completely canceled ." He explains that until Monday was possible to keep the phone service because there was a fiber optic cable but now broke and no service cellular radio system and hotlines.
"It was a major hurricane , came directly to the Los Cabos area , spent very pegadito to the area of La Paz , not yet arrived at Mulege and Loreto " he explained.
Coordinator this morning indicates that the airlift began operations in San Jose del Cabo to support the evacuation of tourists with Team Mexico Navy and Air Force .
He adds that the Secretary of Interior leads the pack of the National Emergency Committee to help coordinate the Baja California Sur, and the holders Conagua , Tourism and SCT involved ; is also expected that President Enrique Peña Nieto visit this afternoon affected by hurricane " Odile " zone.

I love Mexican news:?:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Pages:  1  ..  23    25    27  ..  37

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.